Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Halo/Projector Group Buy $265 Shipped

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 06:09 PM
aerovette99
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Non ZENER Diodes are your friend. 1N914
Old 05-11-2013, 06:17 PM
mig1980
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by aerovette99
Non ZENER Diodes are your friend. 1N914
What are these for?
Old 05-11-2013, 06:28 PM
aerovette99
Drifting

Originally Posted by mig1980
What are these for?
PM sent.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
What is the best install write up? I cannot get the Facebook link to work.
???
Old 05-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Sweck
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

I followed Patches instructions and the mechanical install was easy. I also understood the electrical install that Patches refers to. However, the wire harnesses I received are slightly different based on his instructions. I received a total of 4 harnesses (2 for each side, one long one and one short one) this is in addition to the harness and ballast already connected to the projector lights when I received them. Based on the multiple plug configurations, there appears to be only one way to connect these two harnesses to make one harness to connect to the light harness. Is this correct?

If it is correct, I would suggest an update/clarification to Patches intructions that reflects that change. I also wonder about the obvious: Why not manufacture one long harness?

That being said, I really do like the lights and look forward to a response before moving ahead. Here is a picture of the small harness.

Thanks again.
Sweck

[IMG][/IMG][/QUOTE]
Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 PM
jgump
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Originally Posted by mig1980
I have owned plenty of BMWs and the halos they have stay on when the low beams are on. When I am driving toward a BMW, I can still see the halos even with the low beams on. I agree that they would be slightly drowned out but I am sure you could still see them.
I dunno... my first set of HIDs (in factory headlight trim) would melt the eyes out of your hear if you looked that directly at them. I'm rigging the HALO up simply because it came that way from the Ebay source, but I'm going to hook them to the brown wire. I'm taking a break from the install ATM, actually.

Frustration - even going slowly, and gain, mine are the Ebay variety, the towers for the 3 10mm screws were apt to crack. One came right apart. I hate to say it, but I tried to ghetto fix it so I don't have to buy another. We'll see how it holds up. JB weld plastic down the center, heavy zip-ties around outside, more JB weld on those, and sunk the screw in while it was all pliable. Crossing my fingers. So far, it is rock solid.

The thing for me now is to figure out how to wire it all up. I have factory wires, CorvetteMods ballast wires, and the Ebay wires.

My thought is to cut the connector I need for the lows from the Ebay wires, keep the CM ballasts, reseal the relays from CM (boxes opened up), and do the 4-on wiring from Radioflyer.

God help me.

The only real headache is that despite my cleaning the mounting locations with alcohol and using the 3M tape that came with the CM ballasts (maybe it was "like" 3M) they have all either weakened or completely come apart from exposure to driving in the rain. Also, my suspension is stiff, but it is not THAT stiff. (All C5 Z06 parts except for Bilsteins)

Trying to NOT screw into the wheel well cover.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 PM
ChaseZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does anyone have these working on their car without a huge headache? Also -- what is the difference in the $170 black projector headlights on eBay and buying a DDM kit directly from the source? Anything?

Last edited by ChaseZ06; 05-14-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I didn't use the harness that came with my lights and have no issues.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 PM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
I didn't use the harness that came with my lights and have no issues.
That's what I've done. No harness and had no issues. However for some reason some vettes are picky and require it. I would install them without it and see if everything works out ok, if it does then you're set.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Sweck
Advanced

I hoped mine would have been that easy Mr Bill.

I have an 01 Coupe and followed Patches instructions for the mechanical installation...peice of cake! Then I originally plugged them in directly without the provided harnesses. Results: No low beam and no open and closing of the headlights.

I went back to Patches instructions for the harness installation but he makes no mention of TWO harnesses per side. So, with no instructions, it looks like there is only one way to hook them up but Im wondering if this is correct and dont want to cause any damage if Im wrong. Here is a picture of what I got. Thoughts?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-14-2013, 07:37 PM
crwilliam82
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I install mine and I have to say that it was pretty simple.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Sweck
Advanced

Originally Posted by crwilliam82
Did you have to use the 4 harnesses?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Sweck
Advanced

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
That's what I've done. No harness and had no issues. However for some reason some vettes are picky and require it. I would install them without it and see if everything works out ok, if it does then you're set.
As I told Mr Bill, it was an easy install that I initially tried plugging directly into the systm with out the harnesses but got no low beam and the headlight wouldnt open/close.

Z06, said some Vettes are picky. Any notion as to what that picky common thread might be?

Appreciating the help.
Sweck
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm just getting to install mine tonight. Like above, the physical install was simple. However, the wiring is a headache.

In my case, I bought the kit elsewhere and it came with a 55w H11. I have a pair of 35w ballasts though, so I need to move on to other projects and wait for UPS to bring me new ones.

Fun is.

QUESTION --- the halo rings --- where do the two wires go to? Guessing hot is the brown wire for the parking/running light. Where does the ground connect to?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:51 AM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crwilliam82
Way to help the cause. Your description of how you installed yours so easily will sure help out the others who are having issues.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
Way to help the cause. Your description of how you installed yours so easily will sure help out the others who are having issues.
If it helps, I'm installing mine while listening to Two Minutes To Midnight and Run To The Hills.

HIDs ---> on my existing kit, the lows come on rapidly but the highs turn on very slowly and take a good long time to warm up. Would this be an indicator that I have a poor ground somewhere? I tried upping the fuse to 20a and that helped, but no firm solution.

Is it advisable to ditch the factory wiring, use the supplied kit and wire them directly to the battery?

Get notified of new replies

To Halo/Projector Group Buy $265 Shipped

Old 05-15-2013, 06:31 PM
aerovette99
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tusc
If it helps, I'm installing mine while listening to Two Minutes To Midnight and Run To The Hills.

HIDs ---> on my existing kit, the lows come on rapidly but the highs turn on very slowly and take a good long time to warm up. Would this be an indicator that I have a poor ground somewhere? I tried upping the fuse to 20a and that helped, but no firm solution.

Is it advisable to ditch the factory wiring, use the supplied kit and wire them directly to the battery?
HID = High Intensity Discharge...Ballast driven. It will take a little bit for the ballast to warm up.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Sweck
Advanced

Originally Posted by aerovette99
HID = High Intensity Discharge...Ballast driven. It will take a little bit for the ballast to warm up.
Install is complete but Im blowing the lowbeam 10 amp fuse in the battery box. Of course this means no low beam HID and the lights wont close. Double checked connections and have a great ground and there is no short that I can see.

Thoughts?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:02 AM
aerovette99
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sweck
Install is complete but Im blowing the lowbeam 10 amp fuse in the battery box. Of course this means no low beam HID and the lights wont close. Double checked connections and have a great ground and there is no short that I can see.

Thoughts?
10 amps may not be enough to handle HID.

Quick Reply: Halo/Projector Group Buy $265 Shipped