Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

WTB: Broken head-light adjuster (Golden rod)

Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 PM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Location: When Democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizens will still get to vote!
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default WTB: Broken head-light adjuster (Golden rod)

*********Got one on the way - Thanks**************

I am looking for a broken adjuster assembly. I work at a machine shop and want to get my hands on one to see if there is any way to repair or upgrade the assembly. I have read the horror stories of broken golden rods and no place to buy replacements except for full assemblies ($400). I don't want to destroy my working adjuster, so I thought I see if anyone had a broken one they wanted to part with.

Let me know what you've got and what you want for it shipped to 47802.

Last edited by cadwiz_01Z; 04-24-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 AM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Location: When Democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizens will still get to vote!

ttt
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Up to the top.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:18 PM
LMDNC5
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15,'19

PM me your email and i will send you pics of what I have
Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 AM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

pm sent
Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 AM
LMDNC5
Drifting

pics sent
Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by cadwiz_01Z
I am looking for a broken adjuster assembly. I work at a machine shop and want to get my hands on one to see if there is any way to repair or upgrade the assembly. I have read the horror stories of broken golden rods and no place to buy replacements except for full assemblies ($400). I don't want to destroy my working adjuster, so I thought I see if anyone had a broken one they wanted to part with.

Let me know what you've got and what you want for it shipped to 47802.
I don't have one to send, but I can tell you I have dissected one of the assemblies before in order to free-up a stuck rod and I found something that works:

The adjuster mechanism uses bevel gears. One plastic and one metal (made on the golden rod). The housing around the gear train itself (where the screw rod passes through) is plastic and I drilled one or two small holes (1/16") directly over where the rod passes through, and then injected (squirted) some oil into each hole. After a few easy back and forth twists, the rod became free and started to move freely. I then followed up with some synthetic brake caliper grease I had on hand (waterproof) and squirted a bit into the holes.

The rod seizing, combined with being made of a cast "pot metal" (probably zinc alloy I'm guessing), causes the weak rod material to snap when too much force is exerted in trying to adjust the headlights. If there was sufficient lubrication in the little gear-train in the first place, there would never be a need to exert so much force that it breaks in the first place.

A stronger rod material would be helpful, but the lack of lubricant is a big contributing factor as well.

As far as repair, depending on where the rod breaks and how much "stub" you have left, I think a coupler with a couple small set-screws would work, but ONLY if the lubrication issue is addressed.

Needless to say of course, this all requires the removal of the headlight assembly from the car.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 AM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

I'm thinking of making a whole new golden rod/bevel gear to replace the existing (broken) one. Or, maybe a repair service where you buy a replacement and send in your old core to be reworked. It has to be cheaper than buying a whole new housing assembly to get the ability to adjust your headlights.

Might even come up with a bolt-in replacement of a better design. Less prone to locking up due to lubrication issues.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:04 AM
LMDNC5
Drifting

the rod breaks because the threaded screw seizes in the threaded plastic tube. I have done the same idea as above and freed the screw up and then slotted the stub where the rod broke off and then used a screw driver to adjust the headlight.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB: Broken head-light adjuster (Golden rod)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTB: Broken head-light adjuster (Golden rod)