Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: C7 Carbon

"Three rib" 3.90 Rear, 3.73 Rear, and Transzilla T-56 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:47 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default "Three rib" 3.90 Rear, 3.73 Rear, and Transzilla T-56 for sale

Guys,

I'm selling my entire "built" driveline out of my C5. With the new 454 I just finished building making in the vicinity of 750 HP and over 650 foot lbs, (and knowing I was also going to attempt hitting it with a small 100 shot at some point in the future!), I decided it would be best to sell all these goodies before turning thousands of dollars into scrap iron and aluminum.

Truth be told I wasn't worried about the transmission.....this thing will put up with anything (it has 9310 alloy 22' helical cut gears that are suuuuper beefy), but the C6 style ZR1 rear I'm installing is better mated to a TR6060 trans and I bought the entire driveline and cradle as a package deal so I have decided to part with all my premium C5 components.

What Im selling is the following:

A "3 rib" 3.90 rear that was completely built up with hardened 300M output shafts, upgraded GM posi pack and stouter posi springs, and a cryo'ed and REM finished ring and pinion.....basically a really stout rear unit with a beefed up OEM posi unit. I ran this unit for three years in my C5 when I had my 383 on the road back in 2005 - 2008. It only has about 6000 miles on it....if Im lucky I put a couple of thousand miles a year on my Vette. A couple of hundred of those miles might be runs on the chassis dyno.....LOL

Here is a pic of that rear....its still filled with oil and has been tucked away in a closet with the front covered in the heavy clear tape you see in the pic.

I was going to keep this rear as a spare in the event I grenaded the new rear I decided to build. This I fitted with a 3.73 ring and pinion knowing the big motor wouldn't need as much ratio. It has the same cryo'ed and REM finishing to the gear set, but this rear has a SuperLock posi carrier which is the newest and strongest differential available for these units. They are even great for road racing as well (not just street and drag). The entire guts of this rear is provided by SuperLock (no stock components) and this rear was recently built and completed by Unitrax here in So Cal. Its brand new....never been installed.

Here is a link with some info about the Superlock carrier....

http://www.osgiken.net/products/superlock.html

Here are some pics of that rear

By the way, the 3.90 was built by Unitrax as well (back in 05')....these guys are really good and I deal directly with the owner who has always taken care of me. Never had an issue with any of their differentials.

The "lightly broken in" 3.90 rear I'm looking for $2100.....a new unit built with similar equipment would retail for $3400 (don't forget this includes the heavier duty 3-rib case design which is a must if your building a stronger rear end unit....alot of C5's are not equipped with this stronger case)

The 3.73 brand new unit with the SuperLock diff I have big money invested in.....normally $4200, I will let it go for $3100 (also with the 3-rib case design) which is less than I have invested even with all the courtesy discounts. Includes the synthetic gear oil pictured above and all the paperwork from Unitrax who will stand behind their product.

I am also selling my Transzilla T56....this unit was actually built by G-Force Transmissions who actually make and manufacture the 9310 special gear sets (that RSG installs in all the Transzilla's). To be honest, when I got this box back in 05' the Tranzilla/Rockland Std Gear version didn't even exist....later on they worked out a deal with G-Force to handle these special and unique (very strong) gearbox's setting upp some sort of parts only arrangement with G-Force (a very well respected company in high performance racing manual transmissions).

Bottom line, this trans is stout....its rated at 4 digit horsepower, and if you have a driveline failure it will very likely be something else in front or behind this gear box.

My unit has a 2.71 first gear and is set up similar to an MN6 ratio (tighter) which I prefer. Something that makes this box unique is it still has a tall 6th gear overdrive....going from memory I want to say its a .58 to one.....most of the units available today aren't nearly as steep and I like my low RPM highway cruising. The transmission sounds like an old school M22 rock crusher in the lower gears (some slight gear whine) which I will miss when I switch my driveline over. In the higher cruising gears you can hardly notice notice it and I have a quiet exhaust (the OEM Titanium mufflers).

Im pretty sure these gear boxes are selling in the neighborhood of $6500 now.....someone mentioned close to $7000 but Im not exactly sure. I am asking $4500 firm for this unit which is a smoking deal for someone looking for a really stout M6 because they know their stock unit is on borrowed time behind a really stout stroker or forced induction application. I am also including a complete rebuild/freshen up in this price from the very knowledgeable and friendly Rick@RKT56 who is a GM Tech and well respected on this board for any transmission and differential related services. I would send the box to Rick who will go thru it and give it a clean bill of health and then send it directly to the buyer.

I wanted whoever was considering spending this kind of money on a transmission know he was getting a perfect piece....and am willing to go the extra distance with Rick to facilitate that once I'm paid and have a firm deal in hand.

I will try and post a picture of the transmission soon as well....it's in my storage facility now and I need to get over there to grab it and bring it home knowing I will probably sell it at some point shortly.

If you guys have any questions about any of the items Im selling just ask.....if you are interested in one of the rears and the trans I will discount both and make you an even sweeter deal. If your interested in ALL of it I will really make it attractive.

Serious inquiries only guys....

Thanks!
Tony

PS....Obviously shipping is extra on all the items I have for sale. All of it is less than 150 lbs and can ship Fedex or UPS.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 09-18-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

TTT for you Tony. I will take care of the trans for the buyer so buy with confidence.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:46 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT56
TTT for you Tony. I will take care of the trans for the buyer so buy with confidence.
Thanks Rick....

Appreciate you chiming in!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 PM
FLrealty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in trans. PM me your number please so we can discuss.

TY

Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Still for sale guys....lots of nibbles and an almost sale or two!

PM me if you have any questions

Thanks,
Tony
Old 10-03-2011, 02:21 AM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Hey Guys...

Quick update.

I have a deposit on the 3.90 rear pending local pick-up sometime this week. Looks like that rear is sold....will confirm when its a done deal.

Still have the 3.73 SuperLock differential and the transmission.

For those not familiar both the transmission and the rear (the SuperLock) represent the strongest components you can possibly fit in a C5 style driveline. This is a fact....not my opinion folks. What I'm selling isn't a beefed up stock trans or a beefed up stock rear....all the guts of both units are aftermarket and extremely heavy duty made with much stronger and higher quality metal.

A few guys have inquired about numerous upgraded stock units (transmissions) compared to what I'm selling and quite frankly there is no comparison in strength. The aftermarket 9310 gears (a vastly superior metal) are thicker, wider, and closer to being a straight cut gear which represents the ultimate in strength/torque capacity (the trans I have for sale has a 22' helical cut gear versus stock at 37' if I recall).

Here....found a picture....this gives you a much better idea of the difference between a stock gearset and the aftermarket straighter pitched 93-10 gears. The stock T56 gearing looks downright fragile in comparison.

Also, I failed to mention the transmission Im selling also has a 93-10 output shaft as well.....thats not included with the expensive Transzilla's.....its actually an upgrade (Im referring to the long shaft that extends out the back of the unit and engages with the pinion gear in the differential housing).

If you plan on making huge power with nitrous or forced induction the stuff Im selling is almost required if you want any type of reliability. If you plan on going to the dragstrip with big power its just a matter of time (and probably not very long) before you grenade either the trans or the rear if you have stock internals.

For any of you interested in purchasing the 3.73 rear and the trans as a package I'm willing to throw in a $400 DTE differential brace.....also a must have item in any C5 making reasonable power and running tires that are stickier than a typical street radial.

If you have any questions feel free to PM or call....

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 10-03-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 PM
06x6spdGTO
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If I didnt close on my house last week I would be all over this!! As my C5Z is still down from breaking the main shaft/pinon support (The shaft that comes out of the trans and into the diff). Bump for a true gear head and great forum supporter!!

FWIW: Broke my stock junk with only 460+Whp on a Toyo RA1 305/35/18 on a AUTO X TRACK!!! No drag strip prep what-so-EVER!! Hopefully I will still be able to salvage the diff thanks to the ECS diff brace and if I can would like to reuse my LPE 300m Axles.

Last edited by 06x6spdGTO; 10-03-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:04 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 06x6spdGTO
If I didnt close on my house last week I would be all over this!!
Closing on a house?

Where are your priorities man......LOL (I'm thinking the value of this driveline might be a better long term investment! )

I appreciate the bump btw.....

Cheers,
Tony
Old 10-05-2011, 02:21 PM
mchicia1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If this was 2012, I would be all over that 3.90 rear . Re-bump!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Shad
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What clutch were you running with that trans? I'll be upgrading transmissions very soon as my new build will have 800+ rwhp on a stock trans. I just wished I had my engine build complete so I could be in a position to buy this.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 PM
06x6spdGTO
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Closing on a house?

Where are your priorities man......LOL (I'm thinking the value of this driveline might be a better long term investment! )

I appreciate the bump btw.....

Cheers,
Tony
Had to keep the Mrs. content. After last winters pulley, Cam, CV shaft, AIS Meth kit, and LPE 100mm MAF on my GTO I figured I'd let her mod out a house that we OWN!! On a positive note if this is still around in about 2-3 months PM me as I'll take the Trans and Diff off your hands.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:34 AM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 06x6spdGTO
Had to keep the Mrs. content. After last winters pulley, Cam, CV shaft, AIS Meth kit, and LPE 100mm MAF on my GTO I figured I'd let her mod out a house that we OWN!! On a positive note if this is still around in about 2-3 months PM me as I'll take the Trans and Diff off your hands.
Guess we will see....would like to hope not but who knows.....LOL

I knew it would take a more unique buyer to go for the trans and more expensive differential but I also know that a guy is out there that needs a set-up like this and given enough time we will find one another! :o

BTW guys, the 3.90 rear is officially sold.....customer picked it up today!

Cheers,
Tony
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Shad
What clutch were you running with that trans? I'll be upgrading transmissions very soon as my new build will have 800+ rwhp on a stock trans. I just wished I had my engine build complete so I could be in a position to buy this.
Sorry....decided to check in on my thread and realized I missed this question a few days ago.

I was running an RPS dual disc carbon clutch.....at the time their Street Twin Lite.....I'm going to run their Billet carbon unit now with the new 454 package I will be installing (also a twin disc).

The RPS carbon stuff is the ultimate clutch for a performance street/strip application. I was involved in the design and R&D of this line (actually used my C5 as a car we tested many off the original prototypes) and they are extremely impressive....all the upsides of a true performance clutch with none of the downsides (no chatter, noise, etc., and they shift superbly).

Hope this helps....

-Tony

PS....Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or are interested in an RPS clutch. I have helped a handful of guys with various RPS carbon based units (twin and triple discs) and everyone is smiling.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 10-11-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Been a few weeks so I thought I would bump this to the top again....

I know at some point (now or months from now!) I will run into someone building a stout enough combo to utilize these parts!

Thanks,
Tony
Old 11-03-2011, 02:20 AM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

BUMP!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:52 AM
v84life
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pmed
Old 11-04-2011, 11:17 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by v84life
pmed
PM'ed you back!

Old 11-12-2011, 03:20 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Figured I would give this thread a quick bump....

The 3.73 new rear and the trans is still available.

Throwing in a $400 DTE differential brace with the purchase of both.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 11-13-2011, 10:34 AM
glennd
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Bump from the east coast.

Get notified of new replies

To "Three rib" 3.90 Rear, 3.73 Rear, and Transzilla T-56 for sale

Quick Reply: "Three rib" 3.90 Rear, 3.73 Rear, and Transzilla T-56 for sale