Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: C7 Carbon

***** FREE shipping on Piaa 1100X lamps!!! *****

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 03:41 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KREDVert
I was told by a CHP that it is illegal in CA to run a supplemental headlight.
You are correct. Going by the book, almost all the mods we do to our cars are practically illegal. Just name it......no front license plate, intake, exhaust, headers, heads&cam, no cats, stroker motor, nitrous, supercharger, turbo.....on and on....None of this is approved to be used on a public road, and/or carb approved.

All kidding aside, I know several folks that have these lamps their cars and do not have any problem at all with incoming traffic. It all has to do with aiming. Here is a tip on aligning the beam. Park your car on a leveled surface. Turn on your lowbeam only and mark where the cut-off point is. Now, turn on your Piaa 1100X lamps and align the cutoff point to the same place as your stock lowbeam. That's it.

-Tuan
Old 06-27-2005, 03:58 PM
t56gen3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuan, that being said I have a question: I've installed mine per the instructions and, unless I've missed something, they are mounted correctly (actually, the only way I can see to do it.) With that said, I have them adjusted all the way down. I haven't gotten any indications that they are blinding, but I've noticed that the ambient light output upward is defenitely noticable (street signs really light up at night, as well as the garage door and alley when I'm coming in at night.) Does this sound normal to you? I'm not too worried about it as I haven't seen any indication of unhappy oncomers....but thought I'd ask! (I'm sure the HIDs I'm looking at will be much more offensive!!)

Thanks again for the good deal and fast shipping!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:56 PM
2KREDVert
Melting Slicks

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts

All kidding aside, I know several folks that have these lamps their cars and do not have any problem at all with incoming traffic. It all has to do with aiming. Here is a tip on aligning the beam. Park your car on a leveled surface. Turn on your lowbeam only and mark where the cut-off point is. Now, turn on your Piaa 1100X lamps and align the cutoff point to the same place as your stock lowbeam. That's it.

-Tuan[/QUOTE]

That is a problem. With them aimed low, you have just destroyed them as a high beam supplement. And I have noticed that with them aimed low, people still flash you because of their almost 180 degree brightness. Answer: Aim them high and only use them as a high beam supplement just like CA law (probably many other states too) says. Trouble is, if you hooked the triggering wire up to the purple wire, they will not work with the high beams on, only low and parking lights. How do we fix that so that they will work with the high beams too? Also these lights are less than 16" high so they are physically illegal in CA too if you have mounted them where the fog lights were. Hard to make these work right!! May not be worth the effort, especially if you get cited. Not a "fix-it ticket", carries a stiff fine too for illegal operation in some states.

Last edited by 2KREDVert; 06-27-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:49 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by t56gen3
Tuan, that being said I have a question: I've installed mine per the instructions and, unless I've missed something, they are mounted correctly (actually, the only way I can see to do it.) With that said, I have them adjusted all the way down. I haven't gotten any indications that they are blinding, but I've noticed that the ambient light output upward is defenitely noticable (street signs really light up at night, as well as the garage door and alley when I'm coming in at night.) Does this sound normal to you? I'm not too worried about it as I haven't seen any indication of unhappy oncomers....but thought I'd ask! (I'm sure the HIDs I'm looking at will be much more offensive!!)

Thanks again for the good deal and fast shipping!!!
If you have them aligned fairly close to your stock lowbeam cutoff point, you should be OK. That is how I have mine setup for the last 5 years since I have them installed from 2000, and I haven't had any problem with oncoming traffic at all.

But the ironic thing is that I do run into people flashing me when I drive the Caddy Escalade with the manufacture DOT APPROVED HID system. Maybe I should pull out the stock DOT approved HID kit and convert it to the C5 lighting system to stop people flashing me.

That is a problem. With them aimed low, you have just destroyed them as a high beam supplement. And I have noticed that with them aimed low, people still flash you because of their almost 180 degree brightness. Answer: Aim them high and only use them as a high beam supplement just like CA law (probably many other states too) says. Trouble is, if you hooked the triggering wire up to the purple wire, they will not work with the high beams on, only low and parking lights. How do we fix that so that they will work with the high beams too? Also these lights are less than 16" high so they are physically illegal in CA too if you have mounted them where the fog lights were. Hard to make these work right!!
First, you would need to decide whether you want these lamps to supplement your highbeam or lowbeam. And then install them up accordingly.

If you want to use them as driving lamps along with your highbeam, then don't hook it up to the stock fog lamp wiring harness. As I've mentioned in the previous post, you can run separate wires to the switch inside. That way, you can turn them on/off whenever you please regardless if the highbeam is on or off.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:31 AM
2KREDVert
Melting Slicks

If you want to use them as driving lamps along with your highbeam, then don't hook it up to the stock fog lamp wiring harness. As I've mentioned in the previous post, you can run separate wires to the switch inside. That way, you can turn them on/off whenever you please regardless if the highbeam is on or off.[/QUOTE]

I tried that hook up with seperate wires using the stock switch. Would not work. I think you would have to install a dedicated switch too and leave your stock one alone.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:41 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,252 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Tuan,

PM sent regarding the bracket kit I just received from you.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:13 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

I tried that hook up with seperate wires using the stock switch. Would not work. I think you would have to install a dedicated switch too and leave your stock one alone.
I'll take a further look into the stock switch and will get back to you.

Originally Posted by jdmvette
Tuan,

PM sent regarding the bracket kit I just received from you.

Thanks.
Just responded to your IM.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:12 PM
2KREDVert
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Tuan Le]I'll take a further look into the stock switch and will get back to you.

That would be great. I tried to figure it out using the stock switch but I got a headache from the diagram and gave up. I really want to have it connected to the high beams with the stock switch. Thanks, Phil
Old 07-01-2005, 11:11 PM
2KREDVert
Melting Slicks

Found a way to run the highbeams with the stock switch and PIAAs. Just switch plugs on the back of the bulbs. Run in the low beam position for brights and visa versa. Haven't done it yet but I guess it would work.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:59 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Found a way to run the highbeams with the stock switch and PIAAs. Just switch plugs on the back of the bulbs. Run in the low beam position for brights and visa versa. Haven't done it yet but I guess it would work.
That wouldn't work because the connectors for 9005 & 9006 are different.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:30 AM
2KREDVert
Melting Slicks

Swap Connectors. Wonder if the low beam wiring would be overloaded for the high beam load???
Old 07-04-2005, 01:44 AM
BlackOps
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Lights Installed

Hi Tuan,

I finally got around to installing the PIAA kit I ordered several months ago. I had a problem with the install, but it turned out I got the wrong purple wire.

They sure are bright, and when I turn them on they make the stock headlamps look downright wimpy.

I guess Ii'll be ordering some bulbs soon.

Don

Last edited by BlackOps; 07-04-2005 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Lights are now working.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:06 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Swap Connectors. Wonder if the low beam wiring would be overloaded for the high beam load???
Keep the bulbs on lowbeam harness under 80W and you'll be fine. I have used 80W bulbs on the lowbeam harness before without any issue, but certainly would not going any higher than that.

Originally Posted by BlackOps
Hi Tuan,

I finally got around to installing the PIAA kit I ordered several months ago. I had a problem with the install, but it turned out I got the wrong purple wire.

They sure are bright, and when I turn them on they make the stock headlamps look downright wimpy.

I guess Ii'll be ordering some bulbs soon.

Don
Thanks Don, your business is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:32 PM
BlackOps
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Order In

You are welcome, Tuan. I placed the order for the extreme white bulbs for my Z06.

Thanks for helping my aging eyes out in the dark.

Don
Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Thanks again, Don. Your order left via FedEx this morning. You should have it within a few days.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:30 PM
2KREDVert
Melting Slicks

Tuan Lee............. What is your phone number? I have a friend that wants to order lights and brakets.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:20 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Tuan Lee............. What is your phone number? I have a friend that wants to order lights and brakets.
Hi Phil. I just replied to your email. Have a wonderful evening.

Thanks
-Tuan

Get notified of new replies

To ***** FREE shipping on Piaa 1100X lamps!!! *****

Old 07-21-2005, 10:13 PM
2KREDVert
Melting Slicks

Got It.......... Thanks, Phil
Old 07-29-2005, 02:40 AM
IamN2Speed
Racer

I reciently purchased a HID kit for my C5 to replace the 9006 lowbeam bulbs. I was thinking of purchasing the Piaa 9005 Xtreme White Series Bulbs for the high beam to compliment the color of the HID low beams. Will this be a good match? The HID bulbs are 5000k.

-Keith
Old 07-29-2005, 12:43 PM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by IamN2Speed
I reciently purchased a HID kit for my C5 to replace the 9006 lowbeam bulbs. I was thinking of purchasing the Piaa 9005 Xtreme White Series Bulbs for the high beam to compliment the color of the HID low beams. Will this be a good match? The HID bulbs are 5000k.

-Keith
Hi Keith,

There will be no halogen bulbs that match the performance/light-output of HID system. With that being siad however, the PIAA Xtreme White Plus series bulbs would be as close to HID as you can get without looking bluish like those cheap bulbs you see on many Imports.

Additionally, just icing on the cake, these PIAA Xtreme White Plus series bulbs are all DOT approved. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Have a wonderful weekend, Keith.

-Tuan

Quick Reply: ***** FREE shipping on Piaa 1100X lamps!!! *****