Trunk Lid 2002 C5 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 07:01 PM
knecker
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk Lid 2002 C5 Convertible

Hello,

The trunk lid on my 2002 Corvette Convertible doesn't pop all the way open when you hit the release, you have to get your little finger under it and then lift it up. It completely unlatches, it just doesn't pop up far enough (unless you open and close a door so the air pressure pushes it up). Is this adjustable?

It looks like it is just a spring that pops it up. It has 2 little rubber stoppers on the lid but if you adjust these out, then the deck lid isn't flush and doesn't cure the issue. There are also the 2 little shock absorbers attached but they just hold the lid up (I believe) and seem to be working as designed. I'm wondering if the spring is bad or can it be adjusted? Nothing is worn out as the car only has 4800 miles on it.

Anyone run across this yet?

Thanks, knecker
Old 01-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Dr. Dan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

You need to lube all of the hinge points completely. There is too much friction in them and only a small amount of force exerted by the shocks. Think there is a TSB, if your car only has 1 shock rather than 2, to fix the problem.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:23 PM
wpdjoey
Pro

hmmm mine does the same thing i thought it was just normal well at least it dosnt bother me
Old 01-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I went through all this when mine did the same thing. What it came down to was the the latch doesn't retract quickly enough when the lid is opened. I sprayed WD-40 in the latch assy. on either side of the part that comes out and grabs the loop (or whatever it's called) that's on the lid itself. When it's cold out it binds and won't get out of the way fast enough to let the lid pop up. Hope that helps and my explanation makes sense. Let us know how it goes. But this is a common complaint when it gets cold.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:54 AM
stingray4me
Burning Brakes

I have to dig my fingernails in it too on my 99 vert, never tried wd40 on it.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

The WD-40 trick does help it......
Old 01-20-2005, 09:11 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

Mine does that as well. When I hit the release, it pops up enough to get my fingers under it to lift it up, but doesn't pop up too far. Thought it was normal. I have an '02 vert as well.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:30 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There has been much discussion on this topic. One of the little tips to get the lid to "pop" is when the top is up, windows closed, open and close the door. The change of air pressure forces the trunk lid up a little higher.

Lubing the latch mechanism helps - but one thing to remember is WD40 is not a lubricant. It is a "water displacement" product(that's what the W.D. stands for....) I removed the three pieces of carpeting on the back wall of the trunk, to fully expose the entire mechanism. Instead of WD40, I use silicone spray.

One of the guys I know, added a little tension to the latch spring by turning it. I haven't taken the carpet off since I was given this tip, to look at it to see how this is possible, but that's what I've been told.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:46 AM
saalanghae
Racer

My 04 Vert does the samething. Since I need to take car in for service, I'm going to let them take care of it under the warranty. I'll let you know what they will do to fix the prob.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:54 AM
otter
Advanced

I took mine in to the dealer and said that my lid was not popping up and it looked like the latch was just a little off as well (scrapes on the latch on the lid). I was hoping they would adjust it some but looks like they just luebbed it and sent it back. it does come back up better now but I think that it will just go back to the way it was after the lube wares out.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:08 AM
DEM
Intermediate

Default Its common alright!

DO NOT take it to the dealer for their weak attempt to fix it...read my new thread re: these matters.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1549511025
Old 01-20-2005, 04:23 PM
knecker
Heel & Toe

Default 48hrs and Warranty expires!

OK, I looked at my 02 Conv lid last night. It seems the factory has put White Silicone grease in the hinge points for lubrication. The hinges are straight and the lid opens easily with no binding etc. I decided to try to lube and flush out some of the old grease with LPS#1. (may not be good for the little rubber grommet in there? Will put some silicone back in later). I pinpointed a minute amount on the hinges and worked the lid up and down 20-30 times . It seemed as though the little shocks were sealing better as they warmed up as well.

It is about 40 deg in the garage, but the lid never opens far enough even in the summer when it is 80deg. After lubing, I hit the release and WALLA It popped open about 1.5”. I could hear the little shocks pushing it open the last inch, far enough to easily get my finger under it. I don’t know how far it would pop open when new, but this certainly is adequate.

This morning I pulled the cover off and decided to drive into work . (70deg+ today in Colorado, and no snow or gravel on the roads!) I hit the trk release to try it…… no go ! Same thing, I actually had to shut the driver’s door to force it open far enough with air to get a hold of the corner.

I believe the little shocks need replacing. The car is 36mo’s New with approx 4800 miles on it, the hinges are new as the trunk has been opened very little. I called the GM service department and asked if they had a service bulletin and the shocks in stock. He wouldn’t check, saying I just needed to bring it in and drop it off for a day so he could have his body man look at it. The tech on the phone thought I might need the hinges replaced etc. That’s not what I wanted to hear .

I have been working on cars and Aircraft all of my life. Overhauling engines in cars to Radial aircraft engines, to 747’s, interior work, body work, Avionics, etc. There’s nothing wrong with the hinges, I just want them to take a quick look at the little shocks and see if there is a service bulletin as I have been informed there is. The car is perfect sans the trk lid. Like most people, after working on your own stuff for so many years, you tend to become particular on service. And CORVETTE owners I find are a very particular lot! It takes a lot of hard working years and cash to buy a C5, so you want it treated right. There have been times when I have had things worked on and regretted it, wishing I had just lived with the minor nuisance, thus my dilemma. 48hrs and the warranty expires. (yes, I did just buy an extended GM plan through Dennis Fichtner, nice people up there in MT…see thread on warranties).

I believe I will just try to swing by and see if I can get their body-man to take a quick glance at it. I am not going to let them tear my trunk lid etc off as it is aligned perfectly and is SMOOTH and silky on opening and closing. Hopefully, I can get some shocks ordered and that should fix the problem. If they don’t want to order any, I’ll probably just live with it.
I’ll let you know the outcome.

Old 01-20-2005, 04:38 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just slam the drivers side door closed after pushing the release mechanism, the trunk will pop up nicely.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:43 PM
JCGRCYA
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Stock Man
I went through all this when mine did the same thing. What it came down to was the the latch doesn't retract quickly enough when the lid is opened. I sprayed WD-40 in the latch assy. on either side of the part that comes out and grabs the loop (or whatever it's called) that's on the lid itself. When it's cold out it binds and won't get out of the way fast enough to let the lid pop up. Hope that helps and my explanation makes sense. Let us know how it goes. But this is a common complaint when it gets cold.
Thanks for the advice. Mine just started doing that recently, and I guess the colder weather might explain it. I'll try the wd40 and see if that helps.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:30 PM
knecker
Heel & Toe

Default Visited the dealer....

Just got back from the dealer. I told him I was on my lunch hr (I was), and asked if they could take a quick look. It's warm out and the garage doors were OPEN, (lucky for me), as he said to pull it in.

Sure enough, it wouldn't come up, so I pumped it up and down to warm the shock seals up, (has to be pushing 75deg in the sun) get some air in them, then closed it. Walla! again, it works fine. They created a quick work order and are checking on the SB and shocks to see if they have them in stock and are going to call me. Looks like they just clip on so will try to schedule it during my lunch hr. Keeping my fingers crossed and hopefully the bowtie will come through for me!

will keep you posted,

knecker
Old 01-20-2005, 06:05 PM
knecker
Heel & Toe

Default FINAL Dealer episode....

Dealer just called, said they couldn't find any SB's on the 02 lid, just some for 98 thru 01 vette lids, and in those he said it was mainly adjustment and lube. Said his tech has NEVER replaced the little shocks, has always just lubed them and they never come back?

I asked him if he was going to replace mine as he knows I have already tried lubing it etc. He said without a SB, No. He asked if I wanted to drop it off and maybe his tech could fool around with it and get it to work right, I politely declined and said thanks anyway.

The tech said he just lubes the mechanism on the latch as you guys have stated above. I will add a little in there as well and live with the outcome. I did notice at the dealer, when the window was down and the car wasn't sealed, it popped up MUCH easier.

I can't complain, I got to drive it today and the C5 vette is an incredible feat of engineering. How lucky can you get! If it stays nice enough, I may be able to give it a polishing and take the wife out for dinner this weekend.

Thanks for the tips...........

knecker
Old 01-20-2005, 06:36 PM
bowtiebandit
Drifting

Deck/Trunk Lid Does Not Pop Up Enough When Release Button Is Used -
Deck/Trunk Lid Does Not Pop Up Enough When Release Button Is Used

Condition/Concern:
Deck/Trunk lid does not pop up enough when release button is used.

Corvette (Y-Body) 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 trunk lid does not pop up when released.

There is a tension spring that is supposed to pop/push up the rear lid when released. This spring is supposed to contact the bottom of the U-shaped striker when the trunk is closed. When this condition occurs, the spring is riding up on the side of the striker. There may even be a witness mark on the underside of the striker and/or lid. The attaching holes for the striker that mounts to the underside of the deck lid needs to be slotted approximately 3 mm (enough to reposition the striker). Generally the striker must be moved towards the front of the car.

Recommendation/Instructions:
The problem is that the spring, (part of the latch) that pops the trunk open, has come out of position and rather then hitting the horizontal part of the striker (the part that is mounted on the underside of the trunk lid), it is contacting the vertical portion of the striker. The solution is to reposition the striker on the trunk lid so that the latch spring can only contact the horizontal portion of the striker. This may require slotting the holes in the striker in order to move it far enough to correct the problem.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

Models:
(98, 99, 00, 01, 02 Chevrolet Corvette)

It still applies to 02's

Get notified of new replies

To Trunk Lid 2002 C5 Convertible

Old 01-20-2005, 06:44 PM
knecker
Heel & Toe

Default Telltale mark?

Yes, I think mine has that telltale mark on the striker. Your signature says "ASE MASTER", and . You are the man!

thanks.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jcgrcya
Thanks for the advice. Mine just started doing that recently, and I guess the colder weather might explain it. I'll try the wd40 and see if that helps.
Your "fix" will last longer if you use a good silicone spray that doesn't attract dust and dirt later. WD 40 is for catfishing , try a 3M product or whatever. I sprayed my O4 about a week after I got it for the same problem and its been fine ever since.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:14 AM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
Your "fix" will last longer if you use a good silicone spray that doesn't attract dust and dirt later. WD 40 is for catfishing , try a 3M product or whatever. I sprayed my O4 about a week after I got it for the same problem and its been fine ever since.
Sounds like a job for Boeshield T-9

Quick Reply: Trunk Lid 2002 C5 Convertible