Sponsored by:

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 07:26 PM
AlanN
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice needed

Will be purchasing my Vette in about 8 to 10 weeks. I have been told that 04 is the year to buy as most problems were worked out on them. Am wondering if any of the known problems with other years are serious or are they easily repaired? Do not want to go older than 2002. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:35 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by AlanN
Will be purchasing my Vette in about 8 to 10 weeks. I have been told that 04 is the year to buy as most problems were worked out on them. Am wondering if any of the known problems with other years are serious or are they easily repaired? Do not want to go older than 2002. Thanks for any input.
Basicaly all the 'problems' are worked out from '01 on, with the possible exceptions of the leaking battery (so far there have been just a very few comments on this happening) and the CLB (which is fixable with q Forumn vendors mod for about $50).

Do not be scared of any year model. The only issue mechanical was rings in some 2000's and 2001's. Most were resolved under warranty. A quick GM dealer check of the VIN with a particular car will let you know if that repair was done or not. Keep in mind that NOT ALL of these model years had the issue, and a quick check of the VIN should indicate if a particular Vette was brought to the dealer due to excessive oil use or piston slapping.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:08 PM
mjmc1273
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AC54ME
Basicaly all the 'problems' are worked out from '01 on, with the possible exceptions of the leaking battery (so far there have been just a very few comments on this happening) and the CLB (which is fixable with q Forumn vendors mod for about $50).

Do not be scared of any year model. The only issue mechanical was rings in some 2000's and 2001's. Most were resolved under warranty. A quick GM dealer check of the VIN with a particular car will let you know if that repair was done or not. Keep in mind that NOT ALL of these model years had the issue, and a quick check of the VIN should indicate if a particular Vette was brought to the dealer due to excessive oil use or piston slapping.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 71 Posts

Regarding the piston slapping issue.......would that problem have been noticed when the car was brand new, or after "X" amount of miles? If ignored could it do damage?

I have a 2001 convertible with 10,500 miles. I wonder if I have this condition. The car has a slight "diesel engine" sound to it upon a cold start up. Only at idle and it quickly quiets down in less than a minute.

Last edited by Ron Dittmer; 01-17-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Gray Ghost
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '03 has been perfect so far

(knocking on wood)

Get notified of new replies

To Advice needed

Quick Reply: Advice needed