Sponsored by:

Rear Window Tint, Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 01:01 PM
PDRR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Window Tint, Please help

Hello everyone, I'm concerned with all the little black dots on the top of the back window. What did you do to make it were you can’t see them anymore, and how does it look?

Also, I'm debating on what color tint I should go with on my White C5?

I'm from North Suburbs of Chicago, If you know of any good shops around here, please let me know.

Thanks for your help,

Ray

Last edited by PDRR; 01-15-2005 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:04 PM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08
Default Tint

You need to find a goon tint shop, I take all my cars from San Antonio to Dallas to Pro Tint. Well first of all, Claudio (Owner of Pro Tint) is a good friend of mine since High School and has over 20 years experience in the tinting business. Yes, he tinted over mine but I have seen other C5 not tinted all the way up.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Blowtorch
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will never get the dots to go away completely. The trick is to go to a tint shop that has experience with these type applications. I can still see my dots but the tint is flat down on them and it looks fine. The problem is not getting the tint down flat over them.

I have a white C5 and I went with 20% 3M limo tint on the rear glass. Haven't done the sides yet.

If you are in the Washington DC/VA/MD area I can give you the name of a good place.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:57 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I called all the "high end" dealerships here in Memphis and asked who they recomended for a quality tint job. the all directed me to one place.

I inquired abou the dots to the tech and he said they have a system for taking care of this. Of all things....they used Elmer's Glue Stick to prep the dots before installing the tint. He showed me a car (Camaro) that they had done and it was great. I remembered that I had tinted my Trans Am at a quality place in Little Rock Arkansas and they still had some problems with the dots.

They used this system on my car and the results are incredible. Of all the dots of all different sizes there may be 3 dots total that did not come out perfect!

I know it sounds silly....but it worked on mine!

Old 01-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Vetteran
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by allegro
..............I inquired abou the dots to the tech and he said they have a system for taking care of this. Of all things....they used Elmer's Glue Stick to prep the dots before installing the tint. He showed me a car (Camaro) that they had done and it was great. I remembered that I had tinted my Trans Am at a quality place in Little Rock Arkansas and they still had some problems with the dots...............
You can see some of the dots on mine too, but it doesn't bother me.

But the next time around I will suggest this to my installer. Thanks for the
tip Allegro!!
Old 01-15-2005, 02:49 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

After I got mine back from the tinter the dots were pretty bad. They said they would get better with time, but I decided to "help" the process. Each day for a week I took a microfiber towel and pressed around the dots from the inside out to the edge, squeezing some of the air and liquid out from around the dots. After a week it looked great and has stayed that way for 8 months now.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:54 PM
PDRR
Advanced

BlowTorch - Can you please post a picture of your rear window upclose and from a distance?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2005, 03:06 PM
gmosley
Burning Brakes

Default dots

if you are referring to the dots at the top of the rear window
a piece of black vinyl will take care of it
i did this with my camaro as the dots extended about 6 inches down the glass and knew the tint wouldnt stick if it tried to
Old 01-15-2005, 03:15 PM
Blowtorch
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PDRR
BlowTorch - Can you please post a picture of your rear window upclose and from a distance?

Thanks
Will do, but it might be a few days. It's cold as hell here right now!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:36 AM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

The place I go to does a lot of high-end and show cars, so they are used to handling the dots (AWA the demands of fussy customers). They went with a black vinyl at the top, and used the 4th defroster line as the demark between it and the tint. It looks edge-to-edge OEM perfect, w/o that little non-tinted border around the edges that you so often see. As for color, Quantum semi-metallic tint (what I used) is available in several shades of smoke gray and bronze. I think either would look good on a white vette.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:41 AM
ND Dad
Intermediate

I would recommend that you contact Express Auto Glass on Ogden Avenue in Naperville, IL (630-955-9900) and ask for Dave the "Tint Man." He does exellent work. He did my 82 Vet about 7 years ago, which was difficult because the back window is fixed. He literally had to lay on his back the entire time and work upside down. It turned out great. Since then, I've had him do my 04 Vet, my son's 82 Camaro, my other son's Grand Am, and my WS6 Formula Firebird (that I traded for the 04). They all turned out fantastic. As for the black dots, he told me he grinds them down. Otherwise you will end up with light spots around the dots.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:02 AM
MagRed01Atty
Instructor

Default Rear Window Tint, Please help

Hey BW1,

I live in Irvine. What shop do you use.

Dave
Old 01-16-2005, 03:38 AM
f152tall
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 150 Posts

I've tinted thousands of cars. What I do for the microdots is shave them down with a razor blade at about a 10 degree angle to the glass. Be carefull not to touch the electric defroster lines. Make sure the glass is washed extremely well before tinting or shavings will end up in the tint which is more anoying than the dots to begin with. Don't use Windex w/ AmoniaD on you tint. It'll eat through it.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,388 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Some very good tips in here. I had two of my cars tinted early last year and on one of them, you can see where the tint did not cover the dots all that well. I'll have to take the car back to the shop and see if they can do it better using some of the methods mentioned. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I have yet, in 4 years of looking, seen one C5 coupe that has the rear window tinted without bubbles and/or some imperfections in that area.
I would love to tint mine but as far as I've seen, it just can't be done (perfectly).

I've heard of people shaving the DOTS down. I've heard of people laying vinyl over the dots then tinting. They try everything.

Last edited by Glennm27; 01-16-2005 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:09 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I had my 99 tinted when I first bought it, and after 5 years the tint around the dots still looked great. I also had my 04 done by the same shop, it also look great. Xtreme Tint in Houstom did both of my cars.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Trainman-2
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my former 98 Coupe and my current 04 coupe both tinted by reputable local shops. There are some areas around some of the dots where the tint did not lay down completely. You really have to get up close on the outside to notice and you cannot see them at all looking through the rear view mirror from the inside. They are not objectionable to me at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Window Tint, Please help

Old 01-16-2005, 08:43 AM
ooh yeah
Drifting

Why doesn't someone create a spray that will tint??? I hate those DOTS and will not tint untill someone can hide them.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:29 AM
Mallory
Instructor

Originally Posted by BW1
The place I go to does a lot of high-end and show cars, so they are used to handling the dots (AWA the demands of fussy customers). They went with a black vinyl at the top, and used the 4th defroster line as the demark between it and the tint. It looks edge-to-edge OEM perfect, w/o that little non-tinted border around the edges that you so often see. As for color, Quantum semi-metallic tint (what I used) is available in several shades of smoke gray and bronze. I think either would look good on a white vette.
I second the vinyl.. If they do not vinyl the dots you should find a different tint place. I will start to bubble over time any other way.

Eric
Old 01-16-2005, 02:30 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Learn where the tinters learn:
www.tintdude.com

The their Chevy forum:
http://www.tintdude.com/forum/lofive...x.php/f28.html
Corvette's come up more often there than questions about headers or Z06 calipers come up here!

Quick Reply: Rear Window Tint, Please help