Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas Motor Speedway - Thier Track - Your Car! ** INTERESTED??**

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 07:24 PM
busavette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested. I just signed up on their website. looking forward to it!!!!
Old 01-15-2005, 08:23 PM
PlayasJoint
Advanced

hey count me and my dad in, ill be in my 01 and my dad will probably ride with me, or just sit and watch, but also, my dad has a friend in a 03 vette that im almost sure that he will go with us! please keep posting this so more people will do it so that we can do it! also, are other cars allowed to come besides vettes? or is it just a vette thing? got some import friends that would be interested aswell, and a ford lightning friend, i know i know...sorry not many vette friends, everyone is "in to" imports and ricers... im in Tyler Tx, so about hour and half away! count us in!
Old 01-15-2005, 08:36 PM
boomer 33
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Count me in.

Have you got enough people for the even t to happen yet? Count me in.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:23 PM
Windshear
Instructor

When I e-mailed Dawn, the reply said that you must have previous experiance to run the Roval i.e. completed one of their other courses. Is their some way around this?
Old 01-15-2005, 10:40 PM
BAD_TCR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Windshear
When I e-mailed Dawn, the reply said that you must have previous experiance to run the Roval i.e. completed one of their other courses. Is their some way around this?
Yes, Dawn has created a begining ROVAL event. One session will be guided, the last three you are one your own.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Well since I am in Canada I don't think I'll make. WISH I could. And also wish there was something like that in the Northwest. Good luck I am sure you won't have much trouble finding people to participate.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:06 AM
w8d4it
Pro

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Stock Man
Well since I am in Canada I don't think I'll make. WISH I could. And also wish there was something like that in the Northwest. Good luck I am sure you won't have much trouble finding people to participate.

I'm extremely interested.

But are you serious about driving 150MPH with the windows down?
Old 01-16-2005, 03:05 AM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, Time for some clarifications.

The FIRM DATE IS MARCH 11, 2005. That is a Friday. Take a day or two off work to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity.

**PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE- If you have not run any road racing, are not SCCA, or otherwise affiliated member of a car club, they have indicated options to get eveyone that wants to run on the full track a chance to do that. One Lead Follow Session, after about 1/2 hour of ground instruction. Then you go on your own.

***VERY IMPORTANT*** This is NOT a race. It is NOT a time trial. You are running your car at your pace learning as you go. You drive only to your comfort level. Anyone seen being too aggressive WILL get black flagged and you're done for the day. To keep it safe, you only need to keep two things in mind. Where you can pass (or be passed), and where and how to run the proper line on the track.

*** INSPECTION - Your car can be a street rider, modded, or even a Vert. You will need a tech signoff by a mechanc or you can self-certify that your car is not leaking any fluids, belts are good, and all fluid levels are OK, lug nuts torqued down to 90-100 ft/lbs and will likely only have to change out brake fluid to a higher temp/grade. On the day of the event, (get there early), they will look over your car, ask you to start it, rev it, and look for stuff. If your car has been properly maintained, you won't have ANY problems. You and they know that very quickly!

***OTHER CARS**** While they have not ruled out "imports", they, and most all of us vette folks would like to see like kind...ie. V-8's, big tires, sleek and fast. If you have an import, email dawn@texasdrivingexperience.com and ask her. Other cars - old or new Mustangs were the second most popular car there (last October) and a few exotics and Cobra's.

LOOK AT THE VIDEO to see what other type cars that were there in October AND, notice how quicly traffic thins out, so you are not intimidated by others, or those with previous experience can relax and know the slower drivers know the rules.

***MISC***
Speeds - stock daily driver MN6 C5, expect max 125-130 MPH, only VERY briefly across the S/F line. The remainder is run at 90 and under. Road course varies from 25 - 90MPH in short bursts.

Helmets - Everyone is required to wear a Helmet - They will rent you one for $10/day. They can NOT be motorcycle helmets. If you have one, fine. If you want to buy one, find out what you need. Otherwise, rent one from them.

Windows - I don't recall a steadfast rule about running them down, but unless it is raining (FYI - this is a rain/shine event - no way around that), you will want it down for a couple of reasons. First, you do not want to run with your A/C on (loss of power - and excess heat), and if your helmet hits the side glass, it could shatter and spread glass all over the track. That draws a Yellow, and everyone is done. If they can clean it up and stay w/in the 1/2 hour session, you run again. If not, everyone waits till next session.

Passengers - On a prior event, they allowed a passenger to ride. I am not certain, but think they may have eliminated that, or make a charge for the second person as though he/she was also a driver (like splitting drive times) There are plenty of places to see the action anywhere around the track. Having friends come and watch is fine and encouraged if you want them along.

Overall Safety - Safety is on everyones mind while running your car for 4 each 1/2 hour session. (about 140 miles total - or about 45-50 laps). After your first session, you will quickly gain confidence and comfort. Traffic tends to break away fairly quickly, so there is never any side-by-side running..either pass or fall behind. If you are uncomfortable, just slow down to let some traffic by, then pick it up at your own pace. They have spotters in about 6 or seven locations, ALL of which can trigger the Caution/Yellow/Black Flag if they spot something out of the ordinary. Nobody wants to trade paint with anyone, nor smack the wall at high speed so get that "Nascar" mentality out of your head before you come, because it's simply NOT tolerated. If it turns out to be to much to fast, just exit the track or come into the pits for a few minutes. While accidents can happen (Though TDE has never had a serious accident), you are likely FAR safer running here than some of the really STUPID stuff all of us have done on the city street and highways Everyone knows the rules, where to run, and avoid risky situations.

**REGARDLESS OF PREVIOUS POSTS OR WHAT MAY HAVE BEEN SAID**
Yes, we need a total of 60 to 70 registrants to make this happen. BUT, there will NEVER be more than 20-22 cars on the track at the same time! PERIOD! They will split into different sessions throughout the day.

** THE COST - This experience is only $275 for the entire day (per driver) at the track. Lunch is included as are water bottles. If you need fuel, there is a gas station about 1/2 mile off track - do that during lunch. If you need to stay overnight, there is a VERY nice hotel just across the street from the track, or go either north or south on I-35 where there are less expensive accomodations about 15 miles away.

WHAT DO I DO NEXT?

Watch the video for an idea of what to expect, although that doesn't come close to the exilleration you will feel. Then, SEND an EMAIL TO Dawn@texasdrivingexperience.com and to ME as soon as you can. She/I will send you a registraiton packet and a track event forms.

You MUST act soon, as they have reserved the track for that day, but need to know for sure how many can make it. Tell your friends about it.

TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE if this is to come about in March, so PLEASE, EMAIL me and/or them or call very soon. You will get a return pack with info, forms, and more overall idea of how it will work.

GOOD LUCK - Hope to see ya there.. Tell um White #8 sent ya!

LINKS:

Texas Driving Experience

Watch the Video

EMAILS
dawn@texasdrivingexperience.com
don@texasdrivingexperience.com
diy-guy@sbcglobal.net

*** Any questions feel free to ask *** For those coming for sure or those pretty sure.. BOOKMARK or add this as a favorite thread to follow more details.

Last edited by diyguy; 01-16-2005 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:51 PM
JObranovich
Advanced

What's the cost?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:28 PM
1995vette
Heel & Toe

Default Cost

Originally Posted by diyguy
OK,
** THE COST - This experience is only $275 for the entire day (per driver) at the track. Lunch is included as are water bottles. If you need fuel, there is a gas station about 1/2 mile off track - do that during lunch. If you need to stay overnight, there is a VERY nice hotel just across the street from the track, or go either north or south on I-35 where there are less expensive accomodations about 15 miles away.
THERE YOU GO
Old 02-24-2005, 12:54 PM
rcknusa
Burning Brakes

No cage is needed. You are required to have a helmet. No motorcycle helmets. They will rent you one for $10.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by diyguy
** THE COST - This experience is only $275 for the entire day (per driver) at the track. Lunch is ...

LINKS:

Texas Driving Experience
The price in the link is $225?
Old 02-24-2005, 01:19 PM
rcknusa
Burning Brakes

I have the paper work from Dawn in front of me, the price for this event is $275 which in my opinion is great. I'm driving over 600 hundred miles one way just to do this. I could drive 300-400 miles to places in Arizon for $1100, granted with a little more instruction but this is quite an opportunity.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm interested. Just have to sell the wife on it..
Old 02-24-2005, 01:28 PM
rcknusa
Burning Brakes

If she is into George Strait tell her you will take her to the George Strait Team Roping Challenge in San Antonio the next day!!!

My wife said "sure let's go to the track, and by the way the team roping is in San Antonio on Saturday" so we will be driving down there later that evening or the next morning.

I'll probably put 14-15K on the vette that weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Texas Motor Speedway - Thier Track - Your Car! ** INTERESTED??**

Quick Reply: Texas Motor Speedway - Thier Track - Your Car! ** INTERESTED??**