Sponsored by:

Bose speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Lensboard
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bose speaker question

I have a new z06, and I have noticed that with moderate bass the bose speakers rattle quite a bit. This is my second vette, so I believe this is normal. Has anyone replaced the speakers, or have any suggestions for a better result?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:03 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably the Bose emblems, not the speakers. Check it out.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Lensboard
Racer

Originally Posted by leaftye
Probably the Bose emblems, not the speakers. Check it out.
Seems like a simple solution, did you have this problem?
Old 12-13-2004, 12:05 AM
GrayC5
Race Director

You might also ask the folks in the Audio/Electronics section. Good luck with
the fix.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:59 AM
leaftye
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lensboard
Seems like a simple solution, did you have this problem?
I did. I only expect as much from Bose. They use the lowest quality components, then equalize it till it sounds bearable, then the charge as much as the good stuff. If it was possible, I would pay extra to get a Vette without a stereo than to get one with a Bose already installed. At least then I'd have a reason to install quality components without the crazy amp/sub configuration. They say the guys that made Unix were on magic jelly beans. If that's true, the guys at Bose must have genetically modified steriod enhanced hydro jelly beans.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:19 AM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

I had the same issue before I revamped the whole system.
Mine turned out to be a blown subwoofer in the door. Go figure. I bought it like that and didn't know till it got removed. Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:04 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by leaftye
If it was possible, I would pay extra to get a Vette without a stereo than to get one with a Bose already installed. At least then I'd have a reason to install quality components without the crazy amp/sub configuration.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:36 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Bose Vs Non Bose, Makes a world of difference. Both are crap but the bose is a 10x better sounding system than the non-bose, IMO
Old 12-13-2004, 08:15 AM
Lensboard
Racer

Thanks, I do however need to keep the bose system for now. Should I take it to the dealer as a warranty issue, or are there any suggestions on how to fix this?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:13 AM
LuS1fer
Pro

May be obvious but if you fit a partition, you won't have to turn the volume up so loud. LOL.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:39 AM
v.vet's Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Lensboard
Thanks, I do however need to keep the bose system for now. Should I take it to the dealer as a warranty issue, or are there any suggestions on how to fix this?
I would take it back to the dealer for possible warranty work!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:18 PM
80&09vettes
Instructor

I replaced the stock Bose speakers with Alpine speakers. Great results, the whole system just sounds better. Cost me $270 installed. The Bose system is still intact, just put in the Alpine speakers. There are issues with doing anything to the Bose system becase of the way it is configured. I trusted the audio guys and they fixed me up without spending a lot of money replacing the Bose system. This is a great mod if you just want an all-round better sound.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:20 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

play with fader and balance, isolate it to one driver and that will lend legitimacy to your claims when you go to the dealer..........
Old 12-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Lensboard
Racer

Thanks all, I may try to fix it myself. Everytime I take it to the dealer they seem to damage something from small scratches to small cuts in my seat. I try to avoid the dealership if I can.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Cochemarman
Racer

It's probably not the speaker that is rattling, more likely the car.

I was a semi pro musician for 30 years and did a lot of sound engineering in live venues and various studios. Even had my own 8 track studio for a while and made a few CDs.

Given what's been written before this isn't going to be popular, but here goes: I think that the Bose system in the C5s I have had is one of the best sounding and balanced systems I have ever heard in a car. Trouble is that in order to appreciate it you have to switch the engine off . . eek.

But then I don't listen to (c)rap music. Current favourites are Lost Prophets and Audio Slave.

You can't criticise Bose for using low quality components - look what GM did with the Corvette. They may be made out of cheap bits but the result . . . is fantastic.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:47 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cochemarman
It's probably not the speaker that is rattling, more likely the car.

I was a semi pro musician for 30 years and did a lot of sound engineering in live venues and various studios. Even had my own 8 track studio for a while and made a few CDs.

Given what's been written before this isn't going to be popular, but here goes: I think that the Bose system in the C5s I have had is one of the best sounding and balanced systems I have ever heard in a car. Trouble is that in order to appreciate it you have to switch the engine off . . eek.

But then I don't listen to (c)rap music. Current favourites are Lost Prophets and Audio Slave.

You can't criticise Bose for using low quality components - look what GM did with the Corvette. They may be made out of cheap bits but the result . . . is fantastic.
I agree! I love the sound of the Bose. If the music I am listening to has inherent bass in it, the bass response sounds very good to my ears. The problem is a lot of older music never had massive bass in it to start with. That is just the way it was recorded. The older Beatles music is a good example. Then some people try to compensate for that by artificially cranking the bass **** way up. It gives more bass all right, but it does not sound natural and may start distorting. I think you hit the nail on the head about the (c)rap "music". Young people are used to hearing outrageous over-boosted bass ("thumping") from that stuff and think if they don't hear that from all music, something must be wrong with the sound system. I am not implying that the originator of this thread falls into any of these categories.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:56 AM
leaftye
Safety Car

What's the quote about how Bose sounds? No highs, no lows, all mids? Yeah, sounds about right to me. I've listened to a few different systems, and my folks even have the 901's, and I'd have to say that's about right. Put on some good headphone ($150+) and listen, then take them off and listen. It should sound the same.

As for bass, it's not so much that people turn up the bass, but that people turn up the distortion. It's very hard for a system to produce bass, and for some reason, it's common for normal ears to like the sound of heavy bass distortion. Granted, magnetic voice coil subs typically produce around 30% distortion, which isn't bad for a normal sub. Belt driven subs like Servodrives have >=1% distortion, which is friggin incredible, and an experience like no other at events that have Servodrive subs.

Anyway, I'd be happy without a stereo.....just have to get me a lumpy cam and a set of long tubes for my tunes.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:09 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Lensboard...I am having the same problem with my 2004 1000mile coupe. The right front speaker rattles at certain freq. of bass. I don't abuse it and I don't want to take it to the dealer at all.

Speaking of Bose, the Bose in my 1996 Coupe and in both of my ZR-1s is the best sounding STOCK system I have ever heard. The C4 Bose 200watt system gave you more Treble or Bass so if you had a CD that was lacking in either or both, you could add more.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:20 AM
leaftye
Safety Car

The proper way to use an equalizer is to turn the volume off, then knock down, NOT UP, frequencies until everything sounds right. Turning up frequencies, especially bass frequencies, is an easy way to get distortion and possibly clipping. Not a big deal with cheapie car speakers, but a big deal with concert-type speakers and big car stereos.

Get notified of new replies

To Bose speaker question

Quick Reply: Bose speaker question