Sponsored by:

ZO6 vs coupe????

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 08:12 PM
jjcpj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZO6 vs coupe????

Looking to trade up from my c-4 to a c-5 in the 01 to 02 vintage....

Looking for a car that is a good weekend (and occasional daily driver) but some thing I can take on track for open track days, driving schools etc...

My question is how much (performance) difference is there between a Z-06 and a coupe with a 6spd and z-51 suspension package...

I like the looks of the coupe vs the Z06....But if the performance difference is notable I will probably lean towards the zo6
Old 11-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Stangkiller
Race Director

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

A coupe can be fairly easily modded to keep up with a Zo6, <at least in a straight line> I'm not too sure how much stiffer the z06 chasis is though. My personal advise would be to buy a cheaper car, and mod it past the z06 performance for relatively the same money.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Tiger Shark
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjcpj
Looking to trade up from my c-4 to a c-5 in the 01 to 02 vintage....

Looking for a car that is a good weekend (and occasional daily driver) but some thing I can take on track for open track days, driving schools etc...

My question is how much (performance) difference is there between a Z-06 and a coupe with a 6spd and z-51 suspension package...

I like the looks of the coupe vs the Z06....But if the performance difference is notable I will probably lean towards the zo6
Much of the handling difference is due to the non-run flat Eagle F1 Supercar tires as proved by one of the major car mags in the recent past. They ran a Z51 Coupe, an F55 Vette (might have been a convertible), and a Z06. They installed the Z06 wheels/tires on both non-Z06 Vettes. The Z51 Coupe was very close to the Z06 in the performance tests they ran.

If you like the Coupe looks better, I'd say get the Z51 Coupe and mod the engine, intake, and exhaust. I have a 2002 Z51-equipped Coupe and it does handle like it's on rails. But, if you want even better handling, switch your tires to the OEM spec Eagle F1 Supercar tires and have the car aligned using the Z06 specs.

If that's still not enough, you might want to switch the front stabilizer bar for the Z06 bar.

Finally, you could complete the suspension conversion by changing the springs and shocks. (The Z51 suspension package is very good as is.)

Good luck with your decision!
Old 11-18-2004, 08:57 PM
F.J.B.
Le Mans Master

Get the Z06.....this way your not spending that much cash to upgrade....and if you do upgrade.....its to beat any Snakes you might encounter along the way.!

Good Luck on your decision.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:08 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I like the coupe because part of the top comes off!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:11 PM
C5 KIDD
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

it all basically boils down to performance or looks. which do you care more about? can you live with a hardtop?? if so i would def. go with the Z06.

i have an 01 coupe with Z51 now. handles great, but def. not as fast as a Z06.

im at the point now where i wish i had bought the Z06. i love to be able to take my roof off, but it kills me every night i go to the track and get spanked by Z06's.

since buying the car i went with Z06 sway bar, intake, headers, and exhaust. and im still getting beat by stock Z06's at the 1/4 mile!!

since you can get a Z06 for about the same $$... i would go Z06!
Old 11-18-2004, 09:15 PM
yelloyello
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7, 9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by stangkiller18
A coupe can be fairly easily modded to keep up with a Zo6, <at least in a straight line> I'm not too sure how much stiffer the z06 chasis is though. My personal advise would be to buy a cheaper car, and mod it past the z06 performance for relatively the same money.
However I don't like to use the word cheap in describing anything. I use LESS EXPENSIVE
Old 11-18-2004, 11:00 PM
jrh009
Instructor

No question about it at all, if you want the true performance vette get the Z06, I went through the same process you are going through now.

A lot less Z06's around as well, I have no 2nd thoughts. The LS6 is unbelievable. As for mods, the LS6 can easily be modded to, if you think you need it. The cost of mods on the coupe would be a lot more expensive then simply buying the right car for you to begin with.

Which ever you buy, enjoy, they are all great cars
Old 11-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

If you're thinking of an automatic tranny the Z06 is out.
Get which one you like and then make it your own. If you want performance from day 1 I'd say Z06.
I have a coupe and love it.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:05 PM
WellAdjusted
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: His name is Tandy Dillen. Altruism is the last Frontier.
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by stangkiller18
I'm making more than Z hp with the mods you see in the sig.

[hint: it was the Tune that made the difference ]
Old 11-18-2004, 11:10 PM
Joe’s Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by F.J.B.
Get the Z06.....this way your not spending that much cash to upgrade....and if you do upgrade.....its to beat any Snakes you might encounter along the way.!

Good Luck on your decision.
Get the Z and be done with it, you will be happy at the end! I am going to go for a Z myself sometime early next year.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:18 PM
T's
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Old 11-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I had the same problem. I sat in a new Zo6 in the showroom with my wife. I said "This is the one". My wife said "it's got a stick, if we buy a vette I've got to drive it too and I won't drive a stick". I tried and tried, but gave in for the coupe. I love my car, but if I ever get another vette, it's going to be a Z06...........
Old 11-18-2004, 11:46 PM
WellAdjusted
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: His name is Tandy Dillen. Altruism is the last Frontier.
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Dave1
I had the same problem. I sat in a new Zo6 in the showroom with my wife. I said "This is the one". My wife said "it's got a stick, if we buy a vette I've got to drive it too and I won't drive a stick". I tried and tried, but gave in for the coupe. I love my car, but if I ever get another vette, it's going to be a Z06...........
Damn. Just Damn.

Another One Bites The Dust.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:55 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave1

Exactly what happened to me...though my wife has not driven the Vette hardly at all.

Still I am very pleased with the coupe with A4.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:16 AM
mike1944
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Old 11-19-2004, 01:48 AM
Monster231
Safety Car

Go with the Z, Looks better, performs better, and its the ultimate in this generation

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 vs coupe????

Old 11-19-2004, 04:25 AM
Paras
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've learned from this thread that if I get married, its only going to be to a woman who likes driving stick.
I had the same question and I went with the Coupe... I like the shape better, there's better trunk space, and its awesome to live in Southern California and take the top off... I have the body colored top for the summer to keep the sun out and the see through top for the winter so you get to see out of the top---its sooo cool...
I did get to drive a Z06 one day--its definitely quicker, sounds better and handles way better than a stock Coupe... But then I got coilovers and that changes the the feel of the car a lot... I'm sure my car's handling rivals that of a Z06 (well, at least it will once I lose the worn runflats).
Old 11-19-2004, 04:59 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jjcpj
based on that, I'd recomend a coupe w/ Z51 suspension. Add either some aftermarket or Z06 wheels and put some good tires on it and you're good to go.

On a road course, the driver is going to make all the difference. On a 1/4 mile, you're better off getting a camaro and modding it, but that's a different story. A good h/c package and maybe some 3.90 gears is enough to blow a Z06 away if you can get the power to the ground.

and with the coupe, you can store more stuff in the trunk area of the car when you use it for a DD and take the top off on nice weekends. Not to mention that insurance companies don't care how modded your car is, it's still just a coupe and the insurance was almost $1000 a year cheaper for me.

I should mention that my coments on the coupe w/ Z51 and Z06 wheels is from the mag. (don't remember which one) article from a few months ago that compaired the Z51 coupe to the Z06 and the biggest difference was in the wheels and tires. After putting the Z06 wheels and tires on a Z51 coupe, there was very little difference in the performance and believe me when I tell you that the tires are the weak link in the coupe/vert's performance.

Last edited by Lancer033; 11-19-2004 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:00 AM
Target Chaser
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Machine Silver Z06 The Golden State......... Bay Area
St. Jude Donor '05

I've got a coupe with an A4 & the Z51 and am very happy with it. I originally started looking for an FRC because I wanted the hard top. Mainly because my buddies C4 targa top rattled and I figured the C5's would do the same. When I found out the FRC's only came with the 6M I decided to get a coupe. I wanted an automatic because I drive a truck for a living and do plenty of shifting so I went with the coupe. Sure enough the top rattles.

It didn't take but a minute to get the Mod bug so I bought a Z06 Ti exhaust and an X-pipe to let her breath a little better. I am sure I won't stop there. Now I wish I had a stick because it just doesn't seem right to have a Vette with an Auto. Although that is what I wanted originally I don't drive it daily so I am sure I wouldn't mind the stick. Anyways if I were to do it over again I would spend a few more dollars and get the Z06 and leave it alone. To mod the coupe is one thing but I think the Z06 is fine stock and wouldn't change a thing. I'll most likely end up with a Z06 in the end. Just my 2 cents. What ever you decide I am sure you'll love it.

Last edited by Target Chaser; 11-19-2004 at 05:04 AM.

Quick Reply: ZO6 vs coupe????