Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable DRL - Better way than #2 Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 10:22 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Disable DRL - Better way than #2 Fuse?

I searched my service manuals and I did a search of this forum before posting this thread.

There was an excellent write up by a German member on disabling the DRL. There was also the usual "pull the #2 fuse" (which works).

On Google, I found an excellent write up on disabling the DRL on the 2004 Caddilac CTS (same wiring harness as the C5??) which actually disabled JUST the DRLs and did not disable the Approach Lights by cutting one wire in the LM458 module.

So my questions are :

1> Is there a way to disable JUST the DRL without disabling the Approach Lights (which I love)???

2> Is there a LM458 module (or equivilent) on the C5 - and if yes, where the heck is it? It is NOT above the driver side footwell as in the Caddy CTS.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:57 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Anyone?
Old 11-06-2004, 12:03 PM
7Deuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the difference between the DRL's and the approach lights? By approach lights are you talking about fog lights?
Old 11-06-2004, 12:15 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by Vette Rx
What is the difference between the DRL's and the approach lights? By approach lights are you talking about fog lights?
The Daytime Running Lights (DRL) are the yellow lights in the front that stay on whenever you start the car.

The Approach Lights are the lights that come on when you unlock your car with the keyfob.

You can enable or disable the Approach Lights with the DIC - but the DRLs stay on no matter what unless you "take measures"

Last edited by EG@EnglandGreen; 11-06-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:45 PM
7Deuce
Racer

There's only 2 things I can think of that may do what you want. On my car when I release the e-brake the DRL's come on. They are not on when the e-brake is engaged. Try pulling up on the ebrake just one click (not actually engaging it). This may turn off the DRL's while driving.

Otherwise (just guessing here) can you just remove the bulbs?
Old 11-06-2004, 01:02 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by Vette Rx
There's only 2 things I can think of that may do what you want. On my car when I release the e-brake the DRL's come on. They are not on when the e-brake is engaged. Try pulling up on the ebrake just one click (not actually engaging it). This may turn off the DRL's while driving.

Otherwise (just guessing here) can you just remove the bulbs?
Did the e-brake thing on another car I had = bad thing (for me)
Same bulbs for turn signals and park light = nope.

What I am looking for is a permanent electrical fix to disable them without affecting any other system

Thanks
Old 11-06-2004, 01:28 PM
OrangeVegaGT
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

This may sound simplistic,
but why not just remove the bulbs?
Old 11-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,469 Likes on 791 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by OrangeVegaGT
This may sound simplistic,
but why not just remove the bulbs?
You lose your turn signals and parking lamps as well. The DRL's use the same bulbs.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:04 PM
SR-71
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only approach lights you lose with the #2 fuse are the rear back-up lights( which still work in reverse) the rest of the approach lights still function.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:08 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

England Green,

I found this on another forum. I have no idea if a) it works or b) everything else does infact continue to operate normally. I figured I'd pass it along if you wanted to try to verify it.

From this thread Daytime Running Lights - Disable

All I did on my '01 Coupe was put a small/thin piece of cardboard between the relay contacts and all lights work as normal except DRLs are not on when car is.

I think it's relays 38 and 40. It's been so long, I don't remember.

--------------------
On yet another forum I found this little tidbit which appears to have considerably more detail than the above poster. I found this in this thread, post number nine.

Running lights

You guys are absolutely correct. Pulling that fuse will render the DRL's inoperative. However, that also has the effect of affecting the approach lights and the possibility of setting a code or two.

Here's how to disable the DRL's ONLY with no negative effect on any other system or, more precicely, without affecting the function of the approach lights.

1. In the passenger footwell, lower the front carpet.
2. Remove the foot panel.
3. Locate the IPEC (Instument Panel Electrical Center) It looks like the fuse box next to the battery.
4. Remove the cover of the IPEC.
5. Turn it over and find the diagram of the components.
6. Locate relays 38 and 40. (38 controls the right DRL and 40 the left)
7. Pull each relay and carefully remove the cover.
8. Insert some type of insulator between the relay contacts (matchbook cover cardboard or the plastic from a coffee can lid works well) that you have cut to fit.
9. Replace relay cover, replace relay, replace IPEC cover, replace the footwell.
10. DONE!!
Please remember to have the ignition OFF and if you are not comfortable doing this work with the battery connected, DISCONNECT IT FIRST.

(The procedure can also be done by installing a jumper cable in the relay socket and completely eliminating the relays, but that's a tad more involved and not really worth the effort.)

Now you have disabled DRL's and nothing more! Everything else works as designed. You haven't affected the approach lights and no other ill effect will occur.

It's a quick fix and no where near as complicated as it sounds.

Good luck.

Charlie
Hope this helps,
Paul
Old 11-06-2004, 05:40 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Thanks for all the input. It seems that Jochen's method is the only proper method to permanently disable them. I will try it and report back.

Thanks again

EG

Jochen's Method to Disable DRLs on a C5 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=776553
Old 11-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

FYI, Jochen submitted that as a Tech Tip.

Tech Tip to diasable DRL's
Old 11-06-2004, 05:51 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Thanks Patches!!

EG
Old 12-03-2021, 01:48 PM
EdgySloth
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi everyone, I've spent hours today trying to fully disable my DRL (on my 2004 Z06) but haven't succeeded.

Steps taken so far:
  1. Pulled fuse 2 | That didn't work
  2. Pulled relays 38 and 40 | That did not work either
After pulling relays 38 and 40, the DRL remained on and the signals on the rear started to blink much faster. So I started to follow "8. Insert some type of insulator between the relay contacts (matchbook cover cardboard or the plastic from a coffee can lid works well) that you have cut to fit."
  1. Since I didn't have images to see exactly where to insert the insulator I initially covered both sides of the contact | Result: the DRL remained on and the signals on the rear started to blink much faster).
  2. Then I covered the bottom part only of the contact | Result: the DRL remained on and the signals on the rear started to blink much faster).
  3. Then I covered the top of the contact | Result: DRL remained ON when I have my headlights on, but DRL remains OFF if I have the headlights OFF, the rear signals on the rear worked normally).
My objective is to ensure the DRLs are completely OFF. Could someone please guide me? I have an inspection coming up and that is the only item pending. Any help on this is hugely appreciated. Don't be shy to call me out, I'm a newbie with Vettes, so could be doing some serious rookie mistake. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2021, 09:20 PM
ThomasR
Melting Slicks

Received 681 Likes on 413 Posts

I knew it. I was going to ask if this was a USA market car or export.

I answered in another thread where to find fuse 2 in your fire box.

I'm sorry I can't help you with an answer about the export DRLs.

I would suggest starting a new thread about export DRL disabling instead of bumping old threads.
The following users liked this post:
EdgySloth (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 09:22 PM
EdgySloth
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MillennialSnowflake
I knew it. I was going to ask if this was a USA market car or export.

I'm sorry I can't help you with an answer about the export DRLs.
This is a US spec car. I imported it from Texas in April, so any feedback from American brothers will help me keep Corvettes running in Europe.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:32 PM
ThomasR
Melting Slicks

Received 681 Likes on 413 Posts

Either this did not work for an 04 or I'm going to guess that the importer modified your lighting to comply with your country's laws before you got your hands on the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Disable DRL - Better way than #2 Fuse?

Old 12-05-2021, 07:34 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 214 Posts

Why do you want to reduce your safety when driving?
Old 12-05-2021, 07:55 AM
EdgySloth
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ztheusa
Why do you want to reduce your safety when driving?
Hi everyone, I'm in Ireland and I'm only doing this because it's a legal requirement to disable DRLs to pass the required inspection, as well as many other things (e.g. install orange side reflectors, euro spec tail lights with orange indicators, etc.). DRLs never bothered me and wouldn't even think about modifying them, but I have to disable them and I hope what I've achieved recently is enough to pass the inspection. Thanks
Old 12-14-2021, 04:23 PM
EdgySloth
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EdgySloth
Hi everyone, I've spent hours today trying to fully disable my DRL (on my 2004 Z06) but haven't succeeded.

Steps taken so far:
  1. Pulled fuse 2 | That didn't work
  2. Pulled relays 38 and 40 | That did not work either
After pulling relays 38 and 40, the DRL remained on and the signals on the rear started to blink much faster. So I started to follow "8. Insert some type of insulator between the relay contacts (matchbook cover cardboard or the plastic from a coffee can lid works well) that you have cut to fit."
  1. Since I didn't have images to see exactly where to insert the insulator I initially covered both sides of the contact | Result: the DRL remained on and the signals on the rear started to blink much faster).
  2. Then I covered the bottom part only of the contact | Result: the DRL remained on and the signals on the rear started to blink much faster).
  3. Then I covered the top of the contact | Result: DRL remained ON when I have my headlights on, but DRL remains OFF if I have the headlights OFF, the rear signals on the rear worked normally).
My objective is to ensure the DRLs are completely OFF. Could someone please guide me? I have an inspection coming up and that is the only item pending. Any help on this is hugely appreciated. Don't be shy to call me out, I'm a newbie with Vettes, so could be doing some serious rookie mistake. Thanks!

Hi all, so went for another round of inspection today and unfortunately the DRL remains the only item to address, for the Z06 to be fully legal. Besides the steps taken previously, they're not happy with the daytime running lights ON. They have to be completely disabled and it should only work as an indicator/turn signal. Could someone please help disable these for good? Is there a wire I can cut? If so, any instructions is hugely appreciated. I have a few weeks to address this before another inspection round.

Quick Reply: Disable DRL - Better way than #2 Fuse?