Sponsored by:

Lowering C5 and settling time.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 09:13 AM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Lowering C5 and settling time.

I had my C5 lowered on stock bolts in April. I have read many times here, that it takes around 50 miles for the car to settle. Well I can say (I don't have measurements) that mine is visibly lower after a couple of thousand miles. It is especially noticeable in the back. The rear didn't drop that much in the beginning, but it's obviously lower now than it was after a few hundred miles. I just wanted to share my observations. Has anybody else experienced the same king of thing?
Old 10-28-2004, 09:30 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Mine settled about 1 week after I dropped it. I probably drove about 100 miles during that week. My one true test was getting in and out of the driveway. At the beginning of the week I did not scrape, but by the end of the week I was rubbing each time in and out.

My guess is that it would be a combination of driving and sitting, which will determine how long it takes for it to settle. Driving will allow the suspension to be used thus helping with the settling, but if the car sat gravity would take over....
Old 10-28-2004, 09:34 AM
CO YGOSLOW
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So.....when is a four wheel alignment recommended when settling time could span 50-2000 miles???
Old 10-28-2004, 11:39 AM
red97vette
Melting Slicks

i chopped front bushings, and got longer bolts in the rear. The car drives perfectly strait if i let go of the wheel...do i need a 4 wheel alignment? Im checking the tire wear peridocialy and it seems to be wearing evenly...
What are your prefessional oppinions?

Dan
Old 10-28-2004, 11:50 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

My Car has been settling for five years. It is lowered only on stock bolts with no bushings cut..

here is a picture from a few weeks ago.. it was not this low last year.. Ive been under the car and cant find a thing wrong..

Old 10-28-2004, 11:50 AM
bassvet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Have two 04's and had both lowered. No problems but to be on the safe side I took it to MTI Racing, Marietta, GA. and had it aligned and corner balanced. WOW what a noticable difference in handling. Highly recommend having it aligned as lowering will change the camber. just my .02
Old 10-28-2004, 11:52 AM
sweetcharity
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15

I lowered mine about a month ago and still am getting different measurements each time I check! It is lower though
Old 10-28-2004, 12:09 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

I had mine aligned 100 miles after lowering. Since it has gotten lower after the alignment, I wonder if it needs to be realigned. The shop that did the alingment has a 12-month warranty on their work. I think I’ll call them and have the car alignment checked again.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:29 PM
red97vette
Melting Slicks

whats an allignment usually cost?
Old 10-28-2004, 03:02 PM
CO YGOSLOW
Burning Brakes

I was quoted $80 from the dealership.

I've been following all the posts on lowering and plan to do it this weekend. I'm a bit confused on how those that lower on stock bolts only can get such a disparity on how low it will settle. Also not sure based upon the above posts when to get an alignment.

Evil Twins lowering looks awesome. Hard to believe it's a stock lowering job only...or did he do additional work on the suspension? How can the car continue to settle over a five year span unless the bushings are just getting compressed over time.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:37 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C6 Fever

I've been following all the posts on lowering and plan to do it this weekend. I'm a bit confused on how those that lower on stock bolts only can get such a disparity on how low it will settle. Also not sure based upon the above posts when to get an alignment.

Evil Twins lowering looks awesome. Hard to believe it's a stock lowering job only...or did he do additional work on the suspension? How can the car continue to settle over a five year span unless the bushings are just getting compressed over time.

I think that the car may get lower with age, due to gravity. You know, gravity is a bee-yatch.

I would wait for the alignment until you have over 1K miles after lowering, based upon my experience.

BTW, my shop says they would have to charge me for another alignment, since they are not at fault for the car dropping more. They said if the increased drop isn't substantial, I should still be within specified tolerances.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:39 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C6 Fever

I think that the car may get lower with age, due to gravity. You know, gravity is a bee-yatch.

I would wait for the alignment until you have over 1K miles after lowering, based upon my experience.

BTW, my shop says they would have to charge me for another alignment since they are not at fault for the car dropping more. They said if the increased drop isn't substantial, I should still be within specified tolerances.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:52 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Mine settled to where it is now after about 150 miles!
Old 10-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by red97vette
i chopped front bushings, and got longer bolts in the rear. The car drives perfectly strait if i let go of the wheel...do i need a 4 wheel alignment? Im checking the tire wear peridocialy and it seems to be wearing evenly...
What are your prefessional oppinions?

Dan
Yes!!

My car drove absolutely perfect after lowering, but after a couple thousand miles I ruined the insides of my front tires- the camber/castor? was waaayyy off. So, I had to purchase 2 new front tires and have it aligned. The alignment was $90 for a 4-wheel job. I was quoted as high as $160 at other places......they hear "lowered Corvette" and suddenly the price increases 60%. If you go to a place that has experience in lowered vehicles, you'll find the price much more reasonable.....atleast I did.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by StevieB
I had my C5 lowered on stock bolts in April. I have read many times here, that it takes around 50 miles for the car to settle. Well I can say (I don't have measurements) that mine is visibly lower after a couple of thousand miles. It is especially noticeable in the back. The rear didn't drop that much in the beginning, but it's obviously lower now than it was after a few hundred miles. I just wanted to share my observations. Has anybody else experienced the same king of thing?
Yes...the front of mine settled/sagged quite a bit over the course of last year after I cut the front bushings off and used longer rear bolts.
This spring I adjusted the rear down some more to re-level the car out, it was getting too much of a rake for my tastes.

I'm not complaining, if the car wants to continue to lower itself, that's fine with me.

Old 10-28-2004, 05:44 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
I'm not complaining, if the car wants to continue to lower itself, that's fine with me.

I noticed the other day that the ground is pretty close to the frame of the car. I opened my door, and while I was still in the drivers seat, it seemed that if I just reached a little bit I would be touching the pavement.

BTW Y2Kvert4me, you and Evil have a couple of the best looking cars on the forum, in my opinion.

Last edited by StevieB; 10-28-2004 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:20 PM
n2spd
Racer

Mine settled in the first week but it is still too high in the front. I would like it lower in the back as well. I know I can cut the bushings in the rear but I don't know how to get it lower in the front. O'well congrats on your coversion from 4 wheel drive to 2 wheel drive

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering C5 and settling time.

Old 10-28-2004, 06:23 PM
jaxgator
Le Mans Master

Location: Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by n2spd
I know I can cut the bushings in the rear but I don't know how to get it lower in the front.
You cut the front bushings too.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by StevieB
BTW Y2Kvert4me, you and Evil have a couple of the best looking cars on the forum, in my opinion.
Thanks for the compliment...are you going to the Hooter's lunch this Sunday? I'll hopefully be there. Details in the great lakes forum if you haven't heard about it.

Old 10-30-2004, 08:52 AM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
Thanks for the compliment...are you going to the Hooter's lunch this Sunday? I'll hopefully be there. Details in the great lakes forum if you haven't heard about it.

Thanks for the offer, but no I can't make it. I live in Roselle, less than 10 minutes from D&B so it's too bad, since I'm so close.
Anyway, I have never been to one of these events. What do you guys do at them?

Quick Reply: Lowering C5 and settling time.