Sponsored by:

Winter Storage Tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 08:19 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage Tips

Geez, I hate to even bring this topic up for discussion. As a new Vette owner of only a little over a week, I don't want to do anything but drive the darn thing. But, the reality of Minnesota winter and getting ready for it is soon at hand. So, for those of you with winter storage experience, I'd like your tips on how I should care for the new love in my life over the upcoming nasty winter. So far, I've decided I am going to get a battery tender. My son got one for his Trans Am yesterday at Sears, and I think I'll pick one up today. I have a larger one that can start cars also, or turn for what I believe is "battery tendering" with a 2 amp cycle, but my son's is small and looks like the clear deal. I think his is a 1.5 amp. Savvy to battery tenders I am not. Also, I'm going to order a Noah cover for this forum's store for $149. That seems to be a good deal. If not, let me know. But, what about the Bounce sheet deal or the mouse traps of moth ***** or whatever to keep mice away? Tips in this regard or others would be appreciated. By the way, it appears I can put the battery tender on the garage floor and run the cables up from the bottom and hook the battery. I was going to put the tender on top of the battery, but the manufacturer said not to do that. I plan to drive the Vette for awhile yet, but just want to get prepared for the inevitable. Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Dan
Old 10-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

You really don't need to do an elaborate plan in order to store a car for 3-4 months. Just change the oil (if it's got more than 1000 miles on it), fill the tank with gas, pump the tires up to 40psi, and put the car away clean. Don't start it during the storage period unless you're going to take it out for a long drive (if you start it and idle it you'll only introduce more moisture into the oil which will not be removed unless you drive the car long enough to get the oil good and hot)

When springtime comes, just drive it gently at first since the gas in the tank will have lost some octane. Make sure to keep topping off the tank every 100 miles or so, and try not to go full throttle until you've freshened up the tank a few times. The battery tender idea is an excellent one.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:42 AM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Patman: Living where you do, you can appreciate the situation. Thanks for the advice. Dan
Old 10-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

If you have a fax #, email me. I have some info for you. I will be in MN
next week and would appreciate it if you could hold off on the snow until I leave.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:52 AM
minnasotajim
Burning Brakes

I use the Noah car cover but I do not store my car I get it out on a good day and drive it.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:14 AM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Battery tender, fuel stabilizer c/w full tank, inflate tires, soap shavings will keep mice away, I also put paper towels in th exhaust.

Yes you can run power to the battery tender prom the bottom.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:59 AM
7Deuce
Racer

question about the battery....can you just disconnect the battery instead of getting the tender and then reconnect in spring? Any major drawbacks to going this route besides having to reset radio presets?
Old 10-09-2004, 12:08 PM
1Patriot
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In cold weather, disconnecting the battery will not protect it. A good charge is required to prevent the battery from freezing. Use a battery tender instead.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:28 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Battery tender is one of the best investments you can buy. If you are in a damp area (I have the ocean down the street), you may want to consider a carbag.

The biggest problem of them all is mice. Make sure you take precautions. I usually set about 15-20 traps around the car to start, if I catch one then we go into more hard core mouse eradication efforts. They will do a lot of damage in a very short amount of time.

By the way, dryer sheets do not work. A friend tried that and they built themselves a nice cozy nest for the young uns with the dryer sheets
Old 10-09-2004, 03:09 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I know what you mean, winter is around the corner for those of us in the North. I am making my list today for what I need. I stored the vette last winter. Most of the tips already posted are good and I have followed some of them.

Fuel stabalizer or Heet is good too to keep moister out of the fuel. Make sure to up the PSI in your tires. I have heard carpet squares will help tires from flat spotting.

Last winter I drove my vette once a month...the few times there was no salt/snow on the ground. I would go up start it, let it run for about 15min get nice and warm..and then go for long/medium cruise. I had no problems whatsoever.

I am planning on buying those little D-con boxes or whatever their called to keep the rodents away,,have used em for a few years storing my Z28 and vette and they seem to work.

IF you have a coupe I also heard that you should leave the roof panel on, but un-latched to relieve stress because of it sitting.

The tech at the dealership also told me that it's good to even run your A/C once in a while in the winter to moisten up the gaskets and seals in the sysetem so they don't dry up and crack in the winter.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:40 PM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Default Roof Panel Unlatched

Interesting point about unlatching the roof panel. Have any of you others done this while storing your vehicle during the winter? Thanks.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Do what I did:
Move south
Old 10-09-2004, 04:46 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

I have a Vert and store mine for the winter. I've been told not to keep the top latched during the storage period.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by c5BlackBeauty
I have a Vert and store mine for the winter. I've been told not to keep the top latched during the storage period.
Why?
Old 10-09-2004, 05:08 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
Why?
I don't either ... my storage bin came with a airtight lid.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Old 10-09-2004, 08:15 PM
BobbyO
Racer

Battery Tender is a must. Carpet squares are good also. I would recommend desiccant sacks to absorb moisture in the interior. One other bit of advice I'll offer and that is to research which gasolines in your area have been linked to fuel gage problems in Corvettes. Don't fill your tank with those brands for the winter! Last winter I put mine in storage with a full tank of Amoco Ultimate and a bottle of STA-BIL and I was greeted upon taking from storage with fuel gage difficulties. Took two months to recover from the problem. Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Winter Storage Tips

Old 10-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by TkitPlz
Patman: Living where you do, you can appreciate the situation. Thanks for the advice. Dan
Believe it or not, I'll be driving my C5 in the winter! I have stored cars in the past, but this time around I'm not going to bother. It's just too much of a hassle finding a beater car, plus I haven't got room to park another vehicle at my townhouse anyhow. We only get a few bad snow days per year in Toronto, and those days I'll leave the Corvette at home. The rest of the time I'll enjoy driving it. Salt doesn't bother me, I'll just visit my good friends who own a detail shop more often during the winter.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:47 PM
KonaVette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

all good information....but what is this "winter" you speak of??
Old 10-09-2004, 08:54 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Its that time of year when all us mainlanders head west to Hawaii

Quick Reply: Winter Storage Tips