Sponsored by:

Any fix for the coupe trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 06:14 AM
FumeLover
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any fix for the coupe trunk?

It's my knowlidge that, because of the air compression, the coupe trunk does not slam shut unless you really SLAM it like it's a rusted old piece of Ford truck. However, this doesn't look appropriate on a luxery sports car that is a vette. So I've been getting by just letting the lid rest on the lock bars and pressing & clicking it them shut. But lately this has been getting on my nerves. As more and more I become to love the car, the more and more this sticks out like a sore thumb. Because otherwise, the car would be the first perfect thing i've ever owned! So is there any way to fix the trunk problem? maybe weakening the spings on the lid's hooks? Or weakening the air pistons? Or is there some cool way to close it that i still haven't figured out? please advise.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:24 AM
Red C6 Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05 '09

While I don't know this to be fact (I don't even own a coupe), it is possible that the springs in the latch mechanism are designed to preload the latched configuration so it won't rattle under vibration. I would think having to close the door firmly would be the lesser of two evils when compared to a rattling door.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:38 AM
Gray Ghost
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FumeLover
It's my knowlidge that, because of the air compression, the coupe trunk does not slam shut unless you really SLAM it like it's a rusted old piece of Ford truck. However, this doesn't look appropriate on a luxery sports car that is a vette. So I've been getting by just letting the lid rest on the lock bars and pressing & clicking it them shut. But lately this has been getting on my nerves. As more and more I become to love the car, the more and more this sticks out like a sore thumb. Because otherwise, the car would be the first perfect thing i've ever owned! So is there any way to fix the trunk problem? maybe weakening the spings on the lid's hooks? Or weakening the air pistons? Or is there some cool way to close it that i still haven't figured out? please advise.
Just leave one door open until after you close the hatch lid. I have gotten into the habit of doing this and it is no longer a problem.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:40 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Just leave one door open until after you close the hatch lid. I have gotten into the habit of doing this and it is no longer a problem.
It's what I do!
Old 10-08-2004, 06:47 AM
ooh yeah
Drifting

Don't slam it Don't be lazy just open a window or a door and be thankful you have a good tight car.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:57 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

99% of the time I just lay the hatch lid down and then press down on the rear emblem with the palm of my hand to close. Leaving a window part way down works well too. No other fix that I have seen.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:02 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

While this is not exactly what it was designed for, it certainly fits the bill. I use the Window Valet from Top Down Tech.

http://www.topdowntech.com/wvDocumentation.html

It allows you to open and close the windows with your key fob (among other things) and this way I leave my windows down, close the hatch and then with 3 presses of the lock button the windows come back up. Several of our forum vendors sell them at discounted prices. I don't think I'd start messing with the latches or springs....don't need to add any squeaks or rattles to my coupe.

Paul
Old 10-08-2004, 07:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Dont slam it shut. Low the hatch into place, then put your hand on the emblem and gently push the hatch shut.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:19 AM
tonyh2000
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Has nothing to do with springs. It has to do with the amount of air that is captured when closing the hatch. Either lower a window, open a door, or lower it and push on the emblem to close it without slamming it.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:27 AM
OneBadGix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tonyh2000
Has nothing to do with springs. It has to do with the amount of air that is captured when closing the hatch. Either lower a window, open a door, or lower it and push on the emblem to close it without slamming it.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:54 AM
ArmyVette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Dont slam it shut. Low the hatch into place, then put your hand on the emblem and gently push the hatch shut.

This is exactly what I do. Works fine every time.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:10 AM
FumeLover
Instructor

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
thats what ive been doing. And I hate that! but I guess i should be thankful that it's a sign that the car is still airtight. It will only get tighter when I spread some Brown Bread on it . Im gonna look into that window valet thing. Thanks a lot guys. cheers.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:22 AM
kvozel
Safety Car

Location: Centerville OH "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by talon90
While this is not exactly what it was designed for, it certainly fits the bill. I use the Window Valet from Top Down Tech.

http://www.topdowntech.com/wvDocumentation.html

It allows you to open and close the windows with your key fob (among other things) and this way I leave my windows down, close the hatch and then with 3 presses of the lock button the windows come back up. Several of our forum vendors sell them at discounted prices. I don't think I'd start messing with the latches or springs....don't need to add any squeaks or rattles to my coupe.

Paul
Old 10-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

There's actually a pressure relief flapper valve in the left rear of the car that's supposed to aid in exhausting air when the doors and lid are closed but it doesn't seem to work too well. Guess the carpet covering it impedes the flow of air. I've been meaning to experiment with that a bit to see if it can be improved upon.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:30 AM
FumeLover
Instructor

Originally Posted by Patches
There's actually a pressure relief flapper valve in the left rear of the car that's supposed to aid in exhausting air when the doors and lid are closed but it doesn't seem to work too well. Guess the carpet covering it impedes the flow of air. I've been meaning to experiment with that a bit to see if it can be improved upon.
really? what does it look like and exactly where is it located?
Old 10-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Someone posted a pic quite a while back and we had some fun trying to determine it's function - it's a black rubber assembly in the left rear quarter panel that you can see if you pull back the carpeting. It's been a long time since I looked at mine while I was doing the insulation mod. The rear carpet is very easy to remove if you want to check for it.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:45 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ooh yeah
Don't slam it Don't be lazy just open a window or a door and be thankful you have a good tight car.
I leave a door open like stated above!

Get notified of new replies

To Any fix for the coupe trunk?

Old 10-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I wonder if there's any way to make a window valet-like chip that will instruct the car to crack open the window when the hatch is open and vice versa. As soon as the latch open command is sent to the computer, the window would be instructed to open half way. Isn't that what the C6 does? That would be cool and I would pay to have that mod in an instant. I may end up getting the window valet although I've gotten used to leaving the door open or the window cracked when I know I'm going to open and close the hatch. Looking for my key fob in my pocket seems too much of a hassle.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

In the Discovery Channel Show about the C6 they were having the same problem.

Open the door and the problem goes away!
Old 10-08-2004, 09:08 AM
IMQUIK
Le Mans Master

Close It, and push down. NO slam!!

Quick Reply: Any fix for the coupe trunk?