Sponsored by:

Cops!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Fancy Moses
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cops!!!!!

Well it only took me five months but I finally got pulled over by a bored state trooper and he gave me the old "Where's your front license plate?" Now I have to get it on there and have an officer verify that it is on. What have you all done in this case? I know I'm not the first this has happened to.

P.S. Thanks for letting me vent a little bit.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:01 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

First, you put on your plate. Then you have the citation signed off and pay a $10 processing fee.

OPTION: The you take off again, until another "bored" cop sees you and give you another ticket. Then you go back to First.

I actually saw "Yellohh"'s front plate and cover and I think it looked
Old 10-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Fancy Moses
Intermediate

I got a warning this time. Will there be a ticket next time if I take the plate back off?
Old 10-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Fancy Moses
Well it only took me five months but I finally got pulled over by a bored state trooper and he gave me the old "Where's your front license plate?" Now I have to get it on there and have an officer verify that it is on. What have you all done in this case? I know I'm not the first this has happened to.

P.S. Thanks for letting me vent a little bit.

so you got a warning?...I got a summons(ticket) and I am going to court in a week...
Old 10-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Fancy Moses
I got a warning this time. Will there be a ticket next time if I take the plate back off?

Warning??? you lucky bastich
Old 10-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Rob'sC5
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05

If it's within 30days you can count on it
Old 10-07-2004, 09:08 PM
PHPD7102
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Not sure about Wisconsin but in Illinois we have no system that logs and tracks "warnings". Chances are the next guy who gets you will have no clue you have already been warned.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:09 PM
~SPEEDY~
Drifting

Kansas city wee dont have a front license plate
Old 10-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Fancy Moses
Intermediate

I guess I did get lucky with the warning, but I still have to get it signed off on. I have a feeling they might track it then. I have a buddy of mine that's a detective on the MPD, he also owned a C5, he should know the law on this one.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I feel your pain. I'm in WI too, and got stopped earlier this year (in northern WI, not around here), and got the same speech and warning from a trooper.

I do have the license plate mounted under the front cover, so I was able to just remove the cover on the spot for him, but he still gave me a written warning and said next time it would be a $130 fine.

I put the cover back on right after he left.
My thoughts to him and other bored troopers,

Anyways, I've owned my car for 2 years now, and in the event I do get pulled again for it, and get a ticket, I justify it as a simple $65/yr tax to not have to run the ugly front plate. I'd be willing to pay that up front for the privalege if that option existed, so it won't bother me too much if I get the ticket, I'll still run with the cover on

St Patrol are usually the only ones who will bother you for it in my experiences. If you don't drive on the freeways much, you'll be fine...if you do, mount the front plate and attach the cover plate with velcro...take it off and expose the license plate before hitting the freeway. Best compromise I can think of.

Last edited by Grumpy; 10-07-2004 at 10:34 PM. Reason: inappropriate smilie
Old 10-07-2004, 09:43 PM
mcronec5
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Move to Indiana. There is not much to do here, but you don't need a front plate! Somehow I've made it 2 1/2 years with no tickets. Pulled over 3 times for speeding, all warnings. Lucky I didn't get caught doin 150.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:55 PM
sharpvet03
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PHPD7102
Not sure about Wisconsin but in Illinois we have no system that logs and tracks "warnings". Chances are the next guy who gets you will have no clue you have already been warned.

I did not know that,since I live in ILL. that information will be useful,Thanks
Old 10-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Silver 1998C5
Advanced

Default Guess I got lucky!

A few months ago I was pulled over for not having a "visible" front license plate. I told the officer that I normally have my plate visible (not quite true) and that my wife and I were returning from a car show (also not quite true) and I "forgot" to remove the front cover (the license plate was underneath). He was cool and gave me a VERBAL warning telling me to remove the cover when I got home.
A buddy of mine used the same excuse and also got away with it so maybe there is something to this.

David
Old 10-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Jesse
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Founder St. Jude Fundraiser

I respectfully have to voice my opposition to your comments:

He gives you a warning, and you title the thread "Cops!!!" in an negative tone

I'd also like to know how/why you classify him as "bored." I assume you say this since he took the time to stop you for a violation that you consider petty in nature, but is 100% legal in his enforcement.

If you have knowingly been violating the law by driving without a front license for 5 months, then you should be grateful they you haven't been stopped and cited every time you are pushing your luck.

And then you say you got the "old," wheres your front license plate what is he suppose to say: "who you picking in the playoffs, or wheres the fire when you weren't speeding."

Having spent 27 years in law enforcement, I have heard everything, and have been more then fair with all my contacts, but, this complaint is frivolous and worthy of no sympathy.

Put the plate on, or be prepared to be stopped for a violation of the law by an officer who decides to enforce the law (no matter how petty you may think it is), whether he's bored or not.

What's next: I was speeding and this cop had the audacity to stop me...yes me????

and welcome to the Forum...

Last edited by Jesse; 10-07-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

i just dont put one on, just pay the fine. LMAO
Old 10-07-2004, 10:34 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by speedyboy
Kansas city wee dont have a front license plate
We don't have them in Oklahoma either!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Put the front on. It doesn't look that bad. You'll get use to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Cops!!!!!

Old 10-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Put the front plate on. It doesn't look that bad. You'll get use to it.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:43 PM
Ducman69
Pro

Having spent 27 years in law enforcement, I have heard everything
You have most likely broken petty laws in your time as well, even when trying to set an example as an LEO.

I'm not saying it isn't legal, but when there are countless laws being broken everywhere around you, you do have some leeway to determine what you are going to enforce.

Is 56mph in a 55mph illegal? Absolutely! Would I not wonder if the officer didn't have anything BETTER to do if he pulled me over JUST for the 1mph violation? Absolutely! Likewise, this is a petty offense that you typically tack onto something else to justify the cops and the offenders time (expired registration + missing license plate perhaps). Otherwise, it makes you wonder why the LEO isn't out there doing something more important with the limited time in a day and how this is best protecting the community. If there really truely isn't anything better to do than stop people's days in order to point out a missing front license plate, then yeah I'd say he was bored.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Jesse
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Founder St. Jude Fundraiser

Originally Posted by Ducman69
You have most likely broken petty laws in your time as well, even when trying to set an example as an LEO.

I'm not saying it isn't legal, but when there are countless laws being broken everywhere around you, you do have some leeway to determine what you are going to enforce.

Is 56mph in a 55mph illegal? Absolutely! Would I not wonder if the officer didn't have anything BETTER to do if he pulled me over JUST for the 1mph violation? Absolutely! Likewise, this is a petty offense that you typically tack onto something else to justify the cops and the offenders time (expired registration + missing license plate perhaps). Otherwise, it makes you wonder why the LEO isn't out there doing something more important with the limited time in a day and how this is best protecting the community. If there really truely isn't anything better to do than stop people's days in order to point out a missing front license plate, then yeah I'd say he was bored.
I don't disagree with your comments concerning "leeway," and 56 in a 55 zone, but my point is, it is against the law to drive without a front license plate in his state. He admits to pushing his luck for 5 months knowing that it is illegal. Now granted, as I said it may be petty, but it still is legal

So my point is: is you're going to play, you may have to pay. So, his option is to put on the plate and take the petty stop out of the mix, or face the ramifications for not abiding by the law...

Remember also, that Troopers spend the majority of time on the highways and they are tasked with traffic enforcement only in many states...

Last edited by Jesse; 10-07-2004 at 10:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Cops!!!!!