Sponsored by:

dealer wrecked my car--results--HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dealer wrecked my car--results--HELP

I posted the original thread under "dealer wrecked my car--what would you do?". It gives the details. To shorten, I had taken my car in for some minor scratches. They wrecked it and said they wanted to keep me happy and keep my business and asked me how they could do that. Some many people have responded and I took those responses to heart.

Those few who thought I could "stick it" to the dealership were sadly mistaken. They "stuck it" to me.

Many of you wanted to know the name of the dealership that wrecked my 2003 Corvette (11,000 miles on it) and offered to contact the dealership:

CRISWELL Automotive, 504 Quince Orchard Road, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20878
They sell high-end cars--Hummers, Lotus, Lamborghini (not sure of the spelling there), Corvettes, etc. Say they are the #1 dealer in the area with the most sales and the best customer service.

Tim, the sales manager for Corvette, offered me $36,000 for my car, then upped it to $39,000. On the 2005, he did not want me to put on the forum what he would give me off the MSRP. Anybody know why? On a 2004, offered me $36,000 on trade and $4500 off cost--$3000 of which is GM factory rebates and the rest in certificates???
I would have had to finance for 5 years (have 3 years left on my current car) and my payments would have been higher than they are now.

Since this is not what was discussed on the phone when we talked after they wrecked my car, I knew I'd been had. Sales department was saying that "even though Service did it, sales was eating the cost." What I wanted was $42,000 for my car and a comparable amount off the MSRP that I received on the '03. The sales manager was willing to go $39,000 (Tim), but the general manager, Kott, said "no way"--$36 max.

When the sales manager did all he could, he took me in to this Mr. Zot and Mark, the service manager. Now these men wear suits, arrogance written all over them--so it's the good guy, bad guy routine.

When I suggested that the service department kick in the $3 grand difference on the trade in, they brought up that they were already putting over $2000 in a new door. I mentioned that they wrecked it. They actually don't care much about that. Gave me the legal course in that this is all they are required to do, as they were whining about that!

Earlier I asked to see my car which was not to be touched. The car had all three panels on the passenger side off. One of them was thrown away. They said they had a picture but never produced it. I never gave them permission to fix my car, let alone take it apart. It is sitting outside on their lot with all the wiring exposed with the side off. The door was still there and it wasn't just cracked, it was peeling apart. In my lay opinion, there was no way body work alone could have fixed it (which is what they said they could have done).

I asked them "If I take the repaired car, what are you willing to give me for the $2000 difference in the Kelley Blue Book value because of the repaired body damage?" Their answer--not a penny "We're already putting over $2000 in it."

The service manager originally quoted me $519.00 to fix the minor scratches on the front fender which is why it was originally there. Today in front of the general manager he said it was $990. They plan to charge me for that even though it's one of the same pieces they have to replace. Can anyone reading this see where they're going?

They could care less about what the other people on this forum think as I mentioned various exerpts from your advice and the discussions over who paints a car. They took it upon themselves to repair it in their shop. They said the people on the forum were not dealers or lawyers and it was only words on a screen.

Thanks to all of you for your opinions, and your time. I'll be reading your response to this post.

Linda

Last edited by Corvette50; 10-09-2004 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:17 PM
sharpvet03
Melting Slicks

I think it is time to get a lawyer.........that is total
Old 10-05-2004, 09:18 PM
HOCKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Good luck and I dont live to far from them and have dealt with Sport Chevy in all my car buying.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:19 PM
CarsRFun
Drifting

I would personally sue them, if not for money on principle.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:21 PM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

One quick point from a bodyshop's opinion. If they are replacing the door, they will HAVE to blend the fender anyway. If the scratch is at the front end of the fender, they should blend the color or at least take care of the scratch as a courtesy.

My suggestion is GET A LAWYER.

Mark
Old 10-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

I think this is very sad and I feel for you. My wife actually made a good point and sneak back in as soon as possible and take pics of everything you just describe. Also, did you have a written or verbal estimate for the original fix you brought the car in and like everyone is saying, GET A LAWYER! Fricken crooks!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:35 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Thanks for another dealer's name. Criswell was the largest which was why I bought my car from them in the first place.

If I could afford a lawyer, I would, but don't think I'd have much of a case. They are in the "driver's seat"!
Old 10-05-2004, 09:40 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Thanks for the angry words. I'm feeling pretty upset at the moment.
I used the night drop and requested a verbal estimate. My time is limited since the dealer is 40 minutes away and I'm a working, single Mom.
I'm feeling pretty naive at the moment for trusting them.
The service department had told me it would take two weeks to get the panels in, and then paint them. Within 4 days they have my panels off, one destroyed, and the other panels are being painted . They are the smart ones and I'm the gullible one. My stupidity.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:42 PM
ANTIVINUM
Racer

If you did not give them permission to repair the car and they have already started, sounds like to me they are trying to cover it up. I would get a layer and call GM and vent. I am not trying to sound snobby but we all purchased the flagship car, so I expect to be treated like it.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:42 PM
Corvette50
Racer

You and I both know that they are going to get as much from me as they can to help mitigate their expense. This is, by far, the worst I have ever been treated.
Thanks for your post.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:44 PM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'11

Next time you need to take your car to the dealer, consider Tony's corvette's, which is a few minutes' drive from Criswell.

That's a load of crap. I hope they're reading this thread - you should email them a link. I live about 10 minutes from them, and wouldn't consider taking my car there anymore.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Originally Posted by 99C5Vert
Next time you need to take your car to the dealer, consider Tony's corvette's, which is a few minutes' drive from Criswell.

That's a load of crap. I hope they're reading this thread - you should email them a link. I live about 10 minutes from them, and wouldn't consider taking my car there anymore.
Good. I will print out all the posts and make sure they get them. However, they made it clear that they don't care. Still, maybe Mr. Criswell will read them. Maybe he'll lose a little sleep.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Originally Posted by ANTIVINUM
If you did not give them permission to repair the car and they have already started, sounds like to me they are trying to cover it up. I would get a layer and call GM and vent. I am not trying to sound snobby but we all purchased the flagship car, so I expect to be treated like it.
The general manager treated me with contempt--never smiled, said it was unfortunate,however...same with the service manager. At this point they knew they weren't going to make their "deal" with me and all pretense was gone. Life lesson.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:01 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

i have always heard pretty good stuff about criswell, so this is very supprising.

call gm customer service, that went a long way with me when i had my wheel issue with jba and the extra mileage from a road test there also.

if you are a repeat gm customer, tell them! i pulled out 5 window stickers and showed them to the district service manager!

since they were kind enough to cover up the damage done, that might make it easier for a lawyer go after them.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:01 PM
Hoosier Red
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Move it up a notch. I'd definitely speak to the regional representative. Don't get down on yourself yet. I agree that it sounds like they're not offering much in the way of service. There's a big difference between doing "what you have to do" and doing what you have to do to make sure that you are a repeat customer. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Donovan 572
Pro

Originally Posted by Corvette50
Good. I will print out all the posts and make sure they get them. However, they made it clear that they don't care. Still, maybe Mr. Criswell will read them. Maybe he'll lose a little sleep.
If you do that you might also mention to them that there are 72,536 members on this forum and people at GM have been known to read it also. A bad reputation is a very hard thing to get rid of. The fact that they took your car out and wrecked it is outrageous in itself. Who would want to take their car there or buy a car there? Without customers they would all be looking for another job.

What is the fair value of your car? If that would work for you I would ask for it and go buy a car somewhere else.

Last edited by Donovan 572; 10-05-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:09 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

That is exactly what they want you to think. I agree with getting a lawyer involved. They are in the wrong and YOU are in the driver's seat. At least consult with a lawyer and get them to write a letter to the dealership in your behalf so that the dealership knows you aren't going to be railroaded on this. Unfortunately, many insurance companies, dealerships, etc will do what they can get away with because they know most people won't fight them. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Originally Posted by Corvette50
If I could afford a lawyer, I would, but don't think I'd have much of a case. They are in the "driver's seat"!

Get notified of new replies

To dealer wrecked my car--results--HELP

Old 10-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Originally Posted by Hoosier Red
Move it up a notch. I'd definitely speak to the regional representative. Don't get down on yourself yet. I agree that it sounds like they're not offering much in the way of service. There's a big difference between doing "what you have to do" and doing what you have to do to make sure that you are a repeat customer. Good luck.
You're right, of course. I don't need to give up on everything yet. Maybe tomorrow, when I'm not feeling so walked on, I'll have renewed energy. Criswell has lost my business.

You will find that some places treat the genders differently. Over the last 20 years, I've watched this dynamic work. The place I take my car locally is great--men and women treated alike, with respect, and don't do work that isn't necessary and always keep their word. This is Freestate Auto in Frederick, Maryland. There are good car businesses--not all like Criswell. But it's their loss. My money is as good as anyone else's.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Corvette50
Racer

Anybody know why the sales manager doesn't want me to reveal what he was going to give me off the MSRP on the '05? Especially on this forum?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:14 PM
reelmcoy
Instructor

I would talk to a lawyer, you never authorized them to fix the damage. You should also be able to sue them for diminished value. Your car is now damaged with replaced panels and aftermarket paint. Complaing to GM may help too. If they do fix the car, are they going to offer you lifetime warranty on the repair?

Quick Reply: dealer wrecked my car--results--HELP