Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Exhaust Tips, Are they Stainless........

Old 10-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Bills03Coupe
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Z06 Exhaust Tips, Are they Stainless........

Are the tips on the Stock Z06 Exhaust System Stainless Steel or are they Titanium? Can they be highly polished?
Old 10-04-2004, 01:03 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

They seem to be stainless, but don't take a high polish (at least by hand methods)
Old 10-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Kevin21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ti tips

Not sure either? I give mine a little rubbing with wadding polish about every other wash and they come out looking good.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:05 PM
LuS1fer
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin21
Not sure either? I give mine a little rubbing with wadding polish about every other wash and they come out looking good.
Yes, they are titanium and they don't polish up. The reason is that titanium has a natural resistance to corrosion which is achieved through a natural film of oxide which gives it that dull oxidised finish.

Palladium (Pd) and ruthenium (Ru) , Nickel (Ni) and molybdenum (Mo) are elements which can be added to the pure titanium types in order to obtain a significant improvement of corrosion resistance particulary in slightly reducing environments where titanium otherwise might face some problems due to insufficient conditions for formation of the necessary protective oxidefilm on the metalsurface. The formation of a stable and substantially inert protective oxidefilm on the surface is otherwise the secret behind the extraordinary corrosion resistance of titanium.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:15 PM
C5naples
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LuS1fer
Yes, they are titanium and they don't polish up. The reason is that titanium has a natural resistance to corrosion which is achieved through a natural film of oxide which gives it that dull oxidised finish.

Palladium (Pd) and ruthenium (Ru) , Nickel (Ni) and molybdenum (Mo) are elements which can be added to the pure titanium types in order to obtain a significant improvement of corrosion resistance particulary in slightly reducing environments where titanium otherwise might face some problems due to insufficient conditions for formation of the necessary protective oxidefilm on the metalsurface. The formation of a stable and substantially inert protective oxidefilm on the surface is otherwise the secret behind the extraordinary corrosion resistance of titanium.
Wow! Great post , are you in the metal business?
Old 10-04-2004, 05:04 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, what LuS1fer said, for the mufflers and pipes, but not for the tips. You can see that they are welded on and appear to be stainless steel. They do polish up with a good polish and some elbow grease, but not to a chrome-like shine.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:16 PM
jsdanehy
Drifting

Cruise-In V Veteran

Palladium (Pd) and ruthenium (Ru) , Nickel (Ni) and molybdenum (Mo) are elements which can be added to the pure titanium types in order to obtain a significant improvement of corrosion resistance particulary in slightly reducing environments where titanium otherwise might face some problems due to insufficient conditions for formation of the necessary protective oxidefilm on the metalsurface.
fifty-three words in a single sentence. I would like to see someone diagram that sentence.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:48 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsdanehy
fifty-three words in a single sentence. I would like to see someone diagram that sentence.

I was an English major, but I ain't touchin' it....

Last edited by thevettenet CA; 10-04-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:40 AM
LuS1fer
Pro

I wrote the first part. The other part was cut and pasted from an internet site. I was going to hack it down to an intelligible length but not being a metallurgist, I wouldn't know if a reducing environment was a critical aspect or not. LOL.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5naples

Wow! Great post , are you in the metal business?
No, but he stayed at a Holiday Inn last night .

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Exhaust Tips, Are they Stainless........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z06 Exhaust Tips, Are they Stainless........