Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best way to mount a camera on a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Alex1217
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default What's the best way to mount a camera on a C5?

Even as the fall starts and the winter will slowly creep its way to the north, I'm already thinking about next year's autocross season. I'd really like to be able to mount my sony camcorder somewhere and film my baby on the track. What's the best way to mount a standard handycam in a C5 without drilling any holes. I thought I saw some kind of clamp that could attach to a seat but don't know where I saw that. What are your suggestions? Thanks guys.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:02 PM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'11

the common way is to run a bar between the driver and passenger seat belt bracket (the one at shoulder height). the bar can either go behind or in front of the waterfall. if it goes behind, you'd have to run a loop around the waterfall to mount the camera. That's on my list of things to do this offseason as well. I just can't see me paying $300+ for something like that, so i'll be building one
Old 09-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Cruise-In VII Veteran

This is the one I went with. It a suction mount rated to hold up to 70lbs and is a very nice piece.
Used it several times at the drag strip, works great!

Here's the link.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cinemasu...pexsucvac.html
Old 09-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I've seen a few non-destructive mounts, Alex. One is the method described in this Tech Tip:
Build your own camera mount
The other is a suction-cup windshield mount that was surprisingly strong and stable. Don't know where to get that one but it was for sale as a consumer product that was posted with pics here over a year ago. I've seen a couple of other inventive home-made mounts as well that probably cost less than 20 bucks in materials.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:48 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Z06-JIM
This is the one I went with. It a suction mount rated to hold up to 70lbs and is a very nice piece.

Here's the link.

Hmmm, this one sounds pretty good although I wonder if its possible to stick the suction cup to the transparent roof. That would be sweet except the only problem I guess would be if you can get the mount to rotate so that the camera isn't sideways when filming.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Patches
I've seen a few non-destructive mounts, Alex. One is the method described in this Tech Tip:
Build your own camera mount
The other is a suction-cup windshield mount that was surprisingly strong and stable. Don't know where to get that one but it was for sale as a consumer product that was posted with pics here over a year ago. I've seen a couple of other inventive home-made mounts as well that probably cost less than 20 bucks in materials.
Thanks for the tech tip, this sounds pretty good. I just have to figure out the instructions. I've got all winter to build it so by spring I should be done.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:25 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Here's the link.
That looks nice but they let you run with that a the strip? Unless I misunderstand, this is moiunted on the outside right?
Old 09-29-2004, 01:29 PM
judge09
Instructor

I wonder if anyone has their camera (digital of course) run directly into their in dash screen. That might be a fun project for all those who need to watch it right after the race.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by MARK's_C5TT
That looks nice but they let you run with that a the strip? Unless I misunderstand, this is moiunted on the outside right?
I've always mounted mine on the inside rear window pointing the camera out through the front windshield.
Also have seen a couple of guys attach the same camera mount on the outside of car to the front & rear fenders.
Believe me, once you have this thing firmly attached/suctioned on, it's not going to budge.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:32 PM
0Gary@ronal
Former Vendor

Default Window mount

I personally use--and sell--a German suction mount kit, for $150.
This unit is portable, car to car, can be used on front, rear, or side windows, for regular cameras and video cameras...
Great in that you see what your EYES See, not from behind.
I mount it just slightly to the right of center, and it's eye level...I use it on tracks, etc. all the time..
and Great for travel. 800-899-1212.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Gary@ronal
I personally use--and sell--a German suction mount kit, for $150.
This unit is portable, car to car, can be used on front, rear, or side windows, for regular cameras and video cameras...
Great in that you see what your EYES See, not from behind.
I mount it just slightly to the right of center, and it's eye level...I use it on tracks, etc. all the time..
and Great for travel. 800-899-1212.

If you mount it on the front windshield, does the mount still work for a handycam that has the mounting thread at the bottom of the camera? I'm just wondering how you prevent the camera from filming upside down if the suction cup is above the camera.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:46 PM
rolandsc5
Pro

Default try this

try this site....stickypod.com...I recently bought one and it works as they say.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:52 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You could make a do it yourself camra mount but will it hold up to the car tossing from side to side in an auto-x or if you decied to do DEs??

Get a harness bar, B-K or Hardbar and purchase a camera mount made for that harness bar to secure your camera. While your at it harnesses are a nice addition when doing aut-x or DEs.

Here is a still pic from my video cam

Old 09-29-2004, 05:13 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
You could make a do it yourself camra mount but will it hold up to the car tossing from side to side in an auto-x or if you decied to do DEs??

Get a harness bar, B-K or Hardbar and purchase a camera mount made for that harness bar to secure your camera. While your at it harnesses are a nice addition when doing aut-x or DEs.

Yea, I share that view myself
Old 09-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,063 Likes on 904 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Originally Posted by alex1217
Even as the fall starts and the winter will slowly creep its way to the north, I'm already thinking about next year's autocross season. I'd really like to be able to mount my sony camcorder somewhere and film my baby on the track. What's the best way to mount a standard handycam in a C5 without drilling any holes. I thought I saw some kind of clamp that could attach to a seat but don't know where I saw that. What are your suggestions? Thanks guys.
Alex,

Trust me on this one...call RD Racing and talk with Dave Cooper (the owner) he is honestly one of the nicest people you will ever deal with. I seached for about 6 months myself until I decided on him based on a referral from the Racing Section in this forum. Since then I have actally compeated in an Auto-X with Dave. He went waaaaay out of his way to help many of us set our cars up for the race weekend. Great guy and great service.

Rick
Old 09-29-2004, 06:44 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by judge09
I wonder if anyone has their camera (digital of course) run directly into their in dash screen. That might be a fun project for all those who need to watch it right after the race.
Here's another option, although a little more involved installing.
I mounted a mini bullet style video camera in my rear 3rd brake light for a live feed to my in-dash video screen.
When I'm at the drag strip, I connect this rear camera into a handheld video camera, strapped to the seat, to get some really unique rear video clips of the race.

This is a shot of my girlfriends M/Y Vette parked behind mine

Last edited by Z06-JIM; 09-29-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:25 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Here's another option, although a little more involved installing.
I mounted a mini bullet style video camera in my rear 3rd brake light for a live feed to my in-dash video screen.
When I'm at the drag strip, I connect this rear camera into a handheld video camera, strapped to the seat, to get some really unique rear video clips of the race.
Jim what is the screen that you use?? I am also looking at putting in a rear view camera and screen on my dash. When I am strapped in I can not turn around too back up but can only use the mirrors.

Plus I would like to do a spit screen when I video, one camera in front to see the porshes as I come up to them and one in back to see them disapear into the dust. Of course this is all on the track.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the best way to mount a camera on a C5?

Old 09-30-2004, 08:39 AM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'11

The only thing to look out for with getting a harness is that I don't think (if I'm wrong, someone chime in) SCCA allows autocrossing with a harness on a convertible without a roll bar. I know the original poster doesn't have a convertible.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Jim what is the screen that you use?? I am also looking at putting in a rear view camera and screen on my dash. When I am strapped in I can not turn around too back up but can only use the mirrors.
Plus I would like to do a spit screen when I video, one camera in front to see the porshes as I come up to them and one in back to see them disapear into the dust. Of course this is all on the track.

It's an Alpine D-900 Head Unit with a slide out 7" screen.
A splitter would nice. I don't have one but did check around at one time. The ones I looked at were rather pricey.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:32 AM
Road_runner
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I just ordered a bullet cam to aim throught the HUD. (you still need to plug it to a camcorder) Thought it would be fun to record the corner speeds, RPMs etc right along with the pictures of the road.

I'll post something here in a few weeks when I get all the pieces put together.

Bullet CAM can be viewed at Viosport.com

Quick Reply: What's the best way to mount a camera on a C5?