"A new vette huh, what, are you having a mid-life crisis?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 04:51 PM
cob206
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Default "A new vette huh, what, are you having a mid-life crisis?"

Prior to buying in late July, I was afraid of the potential Mid-Life Crisis tag (I'm 44, but actually look 32...ehemm, right) placed on vette (or any other sports car) owners who are in their peak earning years.

To lessen any potential blow, my color selection was MSG. I thought MSG may only cry mid-life crisis while MR, TR, or MY (my other favorites) might scream it. Now I know the color really didn't matter. After a day or two of getting used to being on display in traffic in a covertible and after hearing the comment in the title dozens of times, I could care less what anybody thinks or any tag as this car is a freakin' blast! Shouldn't of waited so long.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:54 PM
C54TIM
Melting Slicks

Old 09-28-2004, 04:54 PM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

I am 44 and not one person ask me if I was having a mid life ,but my wifes friend asked her that when she saw it! Enjoy ,its my first at 44 and love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2004, 04:58 PM
VITE1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Port St Lucie FL Life is hard, Then you die, FL USA
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I got my first for my 40th B'day. I earned it. I got the comments, mainly from women. I got my '04 last August ( BLK VERT). I still get the comments. I don't care. I love the car and the way i feel.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:00 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got that comment when I was 27 and bought my 93 Vette..lol. I tell them to believe whatever they want. I got it for me and nobody else.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:02 PM
tmcclaff
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

I'm 46 and no one has made any comments to me, I wonder whats wrong with me?
Old 09-28-2004, 05:02 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by cob206
............ Shouldn't of waited so long.

Here's my plate (with my apologies to those on this here forum who have seen it before.....)

I say who gives a fat rat's butt what other people think - midlife crisis, my azzzz......
Old 09-28-2004, 05:03 PM
Railfan
Burning Brakes

Hey, I got mine three months ago and I am 54. The only people with a crisis I can see are those who don't have a vette yet.
Save the wave

We are a lucky group, aren't we?

Mike
Old 09-28-2004, 05:05 PM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by Railfan
Hey, I got mine three months ago and I am 54. The only people with a crisis I can see are those who don't have a vette yet.
Save the wave

We are a lucky group, aren't we?

Mike
Very good point!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:09 PM
noran01
Burning Brakes

I just turned 26 and people always say that i am having a 'quarter-life' crisis. They laugh...i usually don't, but i don't let it bother me either. I figure it like this....life is a one shot deal, either live it or leave it.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:10 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Prior to buying in late July, I was afraid of the potential Mid-Life Crisis tag (I'm 44, but actually look 32...ehemm, right) placed on vette (or any other sports car) owners who are in their peak earning years.

To lessen any potential blow, my color selection was MSG. I thought MSG may only cry mid-life crisis while MR, TR, or MY (my other favorites) might scream it. Now I know the color really didn't matter. After a day or two of getting used to being on display in traffic in a covertible and after hearing the comment in the title dozens of times, I could care less what anybody thinks or any tag as this car is a freakin' blast! Shouldn't of waited so long.
Yeah, I thought about all that too...for about 5 minutes... Decided I didn't care what anybody thought about what I drive...I bought the Torch Red coupe as red has always been my favorite color.
I had all my mid-life crises in my 40's...Life's sweet again...
Old 09-28-2004, 05:11 PM
wit2pz
Le Mans Master

My good friend(female, 39) in Ohio said the same thing when I told her I got mine, "It's a midlife crisis car!" I turned 30 in April, been married just over 2 years, bought a home 2 months before I got married, and sent my wife to Antigua with my mom and to Bolivia to visit her mom. I deserved a gift to myself, and what a gift it is! Just keeps on givin and givin!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I would rather go through a "mid-life crisis" then go through life driving a mini-van.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:34 PM
ChefBoy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my MR Coupe a couple of weeks ago. I must have heard the "Mid-life Crisis" line a dozen times since then.

I just say "Yep. I am having a mid-life crisis. It was either the Vette or a divorce. And the Vette was cheaper".

End of story.

Barry

By the way - the wife loves the car too!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:34 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,071 Likes on 2,043 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I would rather go through a "mid-life crisis" then go through life driving a mini-van.

Hey, I am 45 and drive a Millenium Yellow Z06 with Mod Red interior
No mid life crisis, I bought my first Corvette just before turning 19 and have been hooked and driving Corvettes ever since. Even my wife has been driving them on and off for the past 12 years as well. No matter what age you are, there will always be some sort of comment or tag made by people who don't get it or are just trying to get a rise out of ya. I haven't gotten the mid-life crisis comment yet though. Usually it's some stupid comment like "what's that big scratch from that I saw on your car ha ha ha" or some crap like that.

Enjoy your MSG Vert

Old 09-28-2004, 05:39 PM
OrangeVegaGT
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I'm 57 and the same thing happened to me when I got the vette. When I was 54 I got a new younger wife. So when people tell me getting the vette was my midlife crisis I tell them it was the bride and I make sure to say it in front of her whenever I get the chance.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:40 PM
GMDGary
Racer

Anyone who thinks owning or buying a Corvette has anything to do with anyone's mid life crisis has no idea what they are talking about. Now if they if they put the phrases "mid life crisis" and "an affair with a woman less than half his age" in the the same sentence, I would say they got the T shirt.

One of the first things that goes on most boys lists of things they eventually want is a Corvette - it just is higher on some lists than others and those guys get theirs first.

Mine just came after big & bigger houses, new Cadillacs, motorcycles, british sports cars, pool, boats, country clubs, college for kids, young, beautiful mistress, Big Divorce, new wife, new house, big and bigger houses, new cadillacs, motorcycles, british sports cars, pool, boats, country clubs, more college for kids (it still stops at PhD doesn't it?), then New Corvette. And as I am now too old and weary to start from scratch again, there will be no more young, beautiful mistresses, but maybe a couple more new Vettes (they are so inexpensive in comparison).

Get notified of new replies

To "A new vette huh, what, are you having a mid-life crisis?"

Old 09-28-2004, 05:40 PM
RODXL1200
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When I am asked if I am having a mid life crisis(46) I tell them the only reason most vette owners are older is that it takes awhile to afford the cost of the car and pay for the insurance!
My first was an 00 mil.yellow coupe and 2nd is an 03 torch red vert. (Stayed with the dull colors so I would blend in)
Old 09-28-2004, 05:41 PM
CAJUNY2KC5
Le Mans Master

I'm 44 and lying through my teeth 'cause that was a long time ago.

Growing old is inevitable.......
Growing up is not.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:45 PM
cob206
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by ChefBoy
By the way - the wife loves the car too!
Mine could care less about it. She was another obstacle. I spent almost 3 years wearing her down by:

A) consistently talking about wanting a convertible again as my very first car at 17 was a 1969 Olds 442 vert. What a great ride.
B) always pointing out nice cars that I could see myself in.
C) buying car calendars for her at Christmas.
D) keeping the screensaver and background on our computer set to cars that I liked.
E) making sure we had 0 debt.
F) tucking away enough to cover kid’s college.

With all that prep work, I hoped she would wake up one day and encourage me to fulfill this burning need I had to blow ~50k on a car I really didn’t need. She didn't and it turns out I did in fact really need it. It eventually came down to forcing her into letting me know her stance by actually negotiating with a dealer in mid-July. She caved and said "just go do it, but I don't ever want to hear about my spending habits again". Not exactly encouraging, but my free pass was finally in place. She's been in it once since I bought it. The dog rides in it more. I guess I’ll keep her anyway though (the wife not the dog)

Quick Reply: "A new vette huh, what, are you having a mid-life crisis?"