Sponsored by:

[Z06] Driving School Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 02:16 PM
RichardTigner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving School Question

I will be participating in a Driving School with the local BMW Car Club next week. I was wondering if you guys changed the tire pressure for the track? I do not have any mods yet, although a Vararam is probably in the near future.

I want to get the most out of my new Z16 and show the M3s how its done!

Thanks,

Rich
Old 09-27-2004, 03:14 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Rich,
Being an E46 M3 owner, and having been on the track with a number of ZO6s, you should have no problem in a performance comparison, given equal driving competence. But before your helmet gets too tight, don't forget that you should expect nothing less, given the power, weight, and handling advantage of the ZO6. It's a heck of a car; thinking about one myself.

As for the tire question, I will let other Vette owners speak to that, since the ZO6 is probably a good bit more neutral in its handling. Have fun, Ed.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Rob's 73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Measure your pressure before an after your runs. I started at about 31 and usually built up to 37. As I got better and pushed the car harder the pressures were up to 40 and I could tell a big difference in the grip towards the end of a 25 min session. The car started to lose a lot of grip. See how much you are rolling on the sidewall and adjust. Start at 31 or 32 and see how it does. Don't worry about the M3s. Driver skill will make up about 75% of your performance. As much as I hate to admit it, I had to let a Honda Civic pass me. He had race tires and a bunch of other mods and my ability just couldn't hang in the S's. On the second day I was able to keep up with him in the S's and then leave him on the rest of the course. I was happy with my performance increase. Be patient and listen to your instructor.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:49 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

1st driving school.... everythings confusing!

Stock Goodyears... start 32 psi cold, measure after 1st sesson, if your above 38 psi/hot, bleed down to ~ 36 psi/hot.

Add 1 qt of oil ( 1 qt. above full level), before going on track.

Bleed brakes before going to track.

Read BMW track info... forms, what you need to prepare... ASAP!

After you arrive at track, ask questions... don't be afraid, we were all newbe's at one time!

If possible, find other Z06 drivers and try to "hang" with them. They should be a good source for info.

Do NOT think you have to "protect the honor of your Z06", D E Events are mostly about the driver. An experienced driver in a low powered car will dis-appear from you in the twisties, do not try to KEEP UP !!! Leave your EGO at home!

When you go out onto the track, listen to your instructor! Follow directions, he's there to HELP you. Take things SLOWLY at 1st. Smooth imputs and following the line will accelerate your learning!

Good luck & have FUN !!!
Old 09-27-2004, 05:59 PM
kraff
Burning Brakes

a First time out, just try to have fun and get yourself and the car home in one piece. Great advice above, but don't worry, you likely won't drive the car anywhere near the limit and it is a fine machine out of the box.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:12 PM
tpocock
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the above.
My first time out I took it very easy.
All the Hondas were passing me.
But that's ok, because with every lap I was just a little faster.
By the afternoon I was lapping everyone!
Try to drive smooth and consistent, and build up to it.
Also -- a little brain physiology.
The brain uses adrenalin to imprint memories. So, try to drive correctly while your adrenalin is flowing -- you are more likely to imprint the correct actions.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Harlock
Heel & Toe

Default Driving schools

Hi all.
I see a couple of memebers from the L.A. county. (Glendale and Simi V.)
Justy moved to L.A. and I am interested in performance driving/going to the track as well.
Where do you guys go for such outings/training? Can you spare some info?

Thanks a bunch

Gumby
Old 09-28-2004, 02:20 PM
tpocock
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

check out:
http://www.speedventures.net/

always looking for someone to join me.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

[QUOTE=trumper Z06
Do NOT think you have to "protect the honor of your Z06", D E Events are mostly about the driver. An experienced driver in a low powered car will dis-appear from you in the twisties, do not try to KEEP UP !!! Leave your EGO at home!

Good luck & have FUN !!![/QUOTE]

Best Advice you'll get. My first time, Grandmothers with walkers were faster

I thought the car would put me in there, a Spitfire with 51 HP beat my time, thats hurt, But I got over the ego thing fast.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:26 AM
NotInTheHerd
Advanced

Does anyone know if there are any of these schools in the St. Louis area? I have looked but have not found any yet.

Are there aways other people on the track when you are out there taking your lessons or is it a timed event?

Not that I think that I know how to drive (which is what the school is for) but..... I am afraid some pinhead will ram my shiny new Z when they choose to overdrive their skills trying to prove their Honda is faster than my Z. They have a lot less to lose.

I have worked too hard for too long to buy this car to let it be wasted needlessly and not of my hand. However I would definitely like to learn to make use of the beast I now have and that requires track time.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:33 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NotInTheHerd
Does anyone know if there are any of these schools in the St. Louis area? I have looked but have not found any yet.

Are there aways other people on the track when you are out there taking your lessons or is it a timed event?

Not that I think that I know how to drive (which is what the school is for) but..... I am afraid some pinhead will ram my shiny new Z when they choose to overdrive their skills trying to prove their Honda is faster than my Z. They have a lot less to lose.

I have worked too hard for too long to buy this car to let it be wasted needlessly and not of my hand. However I would definitely like to learn to make use of the beast I now have and that requires track time.

Not at the beginner's level. For a while everyone will have to have an instructor in the car, of whom will not allow this to happen. HSDE or high speed driving events are not a bunch of lunatics driving as fast as they can. Once you progress to the intermediate level, you have already developed the respect for others, the car, and the track. Most accidents actually happen in the highest run groups where the most experience people with quality equipment are pushing their cars at race car levels and don't include more than 1 car. Usually someone goes into a corner too hot and runs off the track...again in the novice groups an instructor will not allow you to get in over your head...go check out the Autocross and Roadrace forum.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:48 PM
hemmerman
Instructor

Default Phil Wicks Driving School

I was in this class at the new Nashville Super Speedway last Sat. Really enjoyed the class. Phil runs this company, he is known for his Mini Cooper and motorcycle racing. I believe he will be putting on a class in St.Loius. this coming week-end. Go to "minidriving.com" (I think.) If you need more info than that e-mail me back. Great class!!! His classes are Novice,intermediate and expert. You drive your car and an instructor rides with you. I took the intermediate and my girlfriend took the novice class. Very good!! you will have a great time.. hemmerman.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:38 PM
NotInTheHerd
Advanced

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Not at the beginner's level. For a while everyone will have to have an instructor in the car, of whom will not allow this to happen. HSDE or high speed driving events are not a bunch of lunatics driving as fast as they can. Once you progress to the intermediate level, you have already developed the respect for others, the car, and the track. Most accidents actually happen in the highest run groups where the most experience people with quality equipment are pushing their cars at race car levels and don't include more than 1 car. Usually someone goes into a corner too hot and runs off the track...again in the novice groups an instructor will not allow you to get in over your head...go check out the Autocross and Roadrace forum.
Thanks for the info it is exactly what I wanted to hear. I kind of figured it was not out of control or you guys probably would not be driving your $50K+ cars in these events but I was not sure.

And thank you Hemmerman for the info on the school. I will definitely check it and the forums out.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:11 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

You may check into the Audi Club North America (quattroclubusa.org). They cater to the beginner and will let you learn at your own pace. These are true drivers schools (classroom and exercises), but you also get lapping at a track. The closest to St. Louis would probably be at Putnam Park (Mount Meridian, IN).
Old 10-01-2004, 06:52 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Depending on how far you want to drive, there are numerous clubs and events within striking distance of St Louis.
Gateway is in St. Louis and I have raced there numerous times now. I know of clubs that do DEs there.
Heartland Park Topeka is only a few hours away and again, I know several clubs DE there.
Memphis Motorsports Park is about 300 miles away and there are several DEs a year here with the SCCA and PCA clubs. SCCA has a High Performance Car Control Clinic at the Regional Race on Oct 16-17 which I will likely instruct for.
And probably the best track near you is Mid America Motorplex just south of Omaha. This track is brand new and very safe.

When searching for DEs, I always start with the BMW and PCA clubs.

Here are some links for you to check out for more info:
Tracks:
http://www.gatewayraceway.com/
http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/
http://www.hpt.com/
http://www.memphismotorsports.com/

Clubs near you:
http://vista.pca.org/stl/
http://www.kcrscca.org/clubrace/hpccc.htm
http://kansasregionscca.org/
http://www.stlbmwclub.com/drivingschool.shtml
http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/code/clubs.html

Upcoming DEs near you:
http://vista.pca.org/stl/events/2004/Oct04CC.html
http://www.midsouthscca.org/october_events.asp

I'd suggest you go check out the PCA event at Gateway on Oct 8-10 and see first hand what DEs are all about, then do some research and make plans for the Spring DEs around your area.

Good luck and have fun!

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To Driving School Question

Quick Reply: [Z06] Driving School Question