Sponsored by:

Anyone buy a car from CarMax?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Blown
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone buy a car from CarMax?

Checked out their site...lots of vettes listed...no haggle pricing but the prices don't appear to reflect realistic market pricing as of late. Just curious...does No Haggle pricing mean they don't bargain or what?
Old 09-26-2004, 10:16 PM
lvvette777
Race Director

It means rip off, the prices will be set way over the actual price you could negotiate if you went to a traditional dealer on your own.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:29 PM
FixedRoof
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

No haggle means you pay the price listed on the sticker...period.. and thats it. No discounts or dealing... They are owned by circuit city and it's the same principle, you go to the store to buy a TV and you pay the price on the tag.

They normally have good cars, but overpriced....
Old 09-26-2004, 10:31 PM
lvvette777
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve92LT1
No haggle means you pay the price listed on the sticker...period.. and thats it. No discounts or dealing... They are owned by circuit city and it's the same principle, you go to the store to buy a TV and you pay the price on the tag.

They normally have good cars, but overpriced....

I actually do get a discount at Circuit City if I find a cheaper price elsewhere. They will price match.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:32 PM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'11

There are a few who have bought from them. Personally, I'd take my chances with a private seller.

The only dealing I've had with CarMin was when I wanted to sell my Subaru. Took it in and they offered $4,800. Sold it for $8,200 that weekend to a private buyer. Haven't even considered them since for buying or selling a car.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:35 PM
FixedRoof
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by lvvette777
I actually do get a discount at Circuit City if I find a cheaper price elsewhere. They will price match.
True.... the Max doesnt do that...
Old 09-27-2004, 06:59 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my Z07 C4 from Carmax, they didn't know what it was so I got it at price of base model. If you know what to look for you can find good deals in their set-price sales model.

There is also the urban legend about a guy who bought a Hammer from them as well...
Old 09-27-2004, 08:23 AM
LivinTheDream
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DRKNGHT
I bought my Z07 C4 from Carmax, they didn't know what it was so I got it at price of base model. If you know what to look for you can find good deals in their set-price sales model.

There is also the urban legend about a guy who bought a Hammer from them as well...
This is exactly right. I bought from Carmax after searching privately within 250 miles for about 8 months. I did not want to risk flying somewhere and end up empty handed paying full price for return fare home.

One day my '98 just appeared 10 miles away. I paid maybe $500-1K over what I would have paid privately. But they did not know what they had and were blown away when they (within the first 30 days so the cost was theirs) had to fix a trashed oil pressure sender and then the dreaded fuel tank sender. Total bill from the dealer was almost 3 grand. There were some stressful moments, but I ended up making out overall. I did not pay full price for the extended warranty either. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:05 AM
DanielW
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08

i didn't buy my vette from carmax. but the previous owner did.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:07 AM
OneBadGix
Burning Brakes

I worked at Carmax about 8 years ago part time and there pricing was fairly reasonable. You have to remember that market value and book value are different. Carmax, as a general rule, looks at the book value when pricing their vehicles. Just above book or just below book. This is done primarily because market values change frequently while book value changes are infrequent. From what I remember, some cars were overpriced. The thing about Carmax is that they really do inspect their cars BEFORE putting it on the lot, unlike most dealers. People go to Carmax because they don't want to deal with the that is so typical at dealerships. It can be a pleasant experience buying from Carmax. You just have to find the right deal.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:35 AM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought my '95 vette from a carmax that was local to me, and I was very satisfied with their service on it, and the condition of the car for the price!! I had a problem with it leaking water around the weatherstripping, and they told me to bring it in and we will fix it! They put brand new weather stripping all around it! The car itself was absolutely flawless, and looked to only have 20,000 miles on it at most, when it really had 72,000! They don't offer much for trade in, but their cars are pretty good! I would definately buy another vette from them!! Jason
Old 09-27-2004, 10:15 AM
HHC5
Melting Slicks

I had the best used car buying experience ever at Carmax
Old 09-27-2004, 10:22 AM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBadGix
I worked at Carmax about 8 years ago part time and there pricing was fairly reasonable. You have to remember that market value and book value are different. Carmax, as a general rule, looks at the book value when pricing their vehicles. Just above book or just below book. This is done primarily because market values change frequently while book value changes are infrequent. From what I remember, some cars were overpriced. The thing about Carmax is that they really do inspect their cars BEFORE putting it on the lot, unlike most dealers. People go to Carmax because they don't want to deal with the that is so typical at dealerships. It can be a pleasant experience buying from Carmax. You just have to find the right deal.
I've bought 4 cars at Carmax, including my Z06. If you have the patience to haggle, go somewhere else and you might save a little bit. If you want a pleasant shopping experience and a car with no surprises, go to Carmax. Bought my Z06 in 45 minutes last year, from the greeting to driving off the lot. When I bought my C4 at a Chevy dealer, it took 12 hours of haggling, including the 3 hours where they "lost" the keys for my trade in. Never again. Not worth it to save a couple of bucks.

The salesman also let me pinch a tire inflation kit from a different Z06 because the one I wanted didn't have one. Saved me some coin there.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:30 AM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown
Checked out their site...lots of vettes listed...no haggle pricing but the prices don't appear to reflect realistic market pricing as of late. Just curious...does No Haggle pricing mean they don't bargain or what?
Be careful. I've been there 2 or 3 times and walk away amzaed they can sell those cars. I had one salesman look me in the eye and tell me they don't sell cars that have been in accidents. BS! I opened the trunk and lifted the liner and showed him the evidence of repair. Carmax is not for me. Just be sure of the quality of car and trust nobody there.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:35 AM
F1_SS
Burning Brakes

So they dont offer good trade in value or give a decent amount if i sell them my car. I ask because i want to sell my 01 Camaro SS to a dealership and was thinking of trying Carmax.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Corvette00Car
Racer

No trade in worth considering. I purchased my C5 there but you have to be careful about timing. I purchased in the dead of winter when they didn't have many. They even put it up on a lift for me to look at. Very friendly. I figure I paid about $500 more than from a private party and substantially less than from a dealer.
They offered me $900 for my 1987 with 198,000 miles so I donated it. It was sold at auction and the fellow that purchased figured out who I was. He came by and I gave him all my spare parts wheels a door the manual and everything else that my wife wanted out of the garage. He got a good deal.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:57 PM
F1_SS
Burning Brakes

I know i will get screwed on my trade in but i dont want to go throught the private seller thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone buy a car from CarMax?

Old 09-27-2004, 03:21 PM
lvvette777
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corvette00Car
No trade in worth considering. I purchased my C5 there but you have to be careful about timing. I purchased in the dead of winter when they didn't have many. They even put it up on a lift for me to look at. Very friendly. I figure I paid about $500 more than from a private party and substantially less than from a dealer.
They offered me $900 for my 1987 with 198,000 miles so I donated it. It was sold at auction and the fellow that purchased figured out who I was. He came by and I gave him all my spare parts wheels a door the manual and everything else that my wife wanted out of the garage. He got a good deal.

That is cool your donated it, was it a reputable charity? The reason I ask is here in Vegas it is common for conmen to set up so-called charity car donation centers. They take cars in and sell them with only about 10% of the money actually going to the charity and the rest of the profit staying in the conman's pocket. It is a real problem here.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:09 PM
keanucosmo
Advanced

I bought a 98 vert from Carmax in April. I have to agree with the posts that say they sometimes don't know what they have. They didn't list several of options the car had including Z51 and 12 disc cd changer. I would buy from them again.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:16 PM
VettXPert
Instructor

Originally Posted by OneBadGix

Quick Reply: Anyone buy a car from CarMax?