Sponsored by:

My skip shift story.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 02:55 PM
JnJ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My skip shift story.

I'd been wanting to eliminate the 1 to 4 skip shift which is very annoying. I'd seen the $30 - $40 one and was going to go that route until I saw an eBay sale.
It listed it as a Skip Shift Eliminator and said simular ones sell for $30 in the mag adds. To me this means it's the same as those so I paid the $8 something and $4 something for shipping. Here is what I got:

It is a resistor, zip tie, heat shrink tube and a one page instruction with pictures so small you can't really tell what they are.
I was a little disapointed but after checking around I was confident it would work. I next took the resistor to radio shack and matched it. They sell 5 of them for $1!!
So I took pictures and I will post a writeup with pix so anyone can do it themselves and only spend a couple bucks.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:03 PM
lvvette777
Race Director

Originally Posted by JnJ
I'd been wanting to eliminate the 1 to 4 skip shift which is very annoying. I'd seen the $30 - $40 one and was going to go that route until I saw an eBay sale.
It listed it as a Skip Shift Eliminator and said simular ones sell for $30 in the mag adds. To me this means it's the same as those so I paid the $8 something and $4 something for shipping. Here is what I got:

It is a resistor, zip tie, heat shrink tube and a one page instruction with pictures so small you can't really tell what they are.
I was a little disapointed but after checking around I was confident it would work. I next took the resistor to radio shack and matched it. They sell 5 of them for $1!!
So I took pictures and I will post a writeup with pix so anyone can do it themselves and only spend a couple bucks.
\

Someone had a great idea and is making good money from it. I love capitalism!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2004, 03:07 PM
JnJ
Racer

Originally Posted by lvvette777
\

Someone had a great idea and is making good money from it. I love capitalism!!!!!!
To a point, but I feel his ad was misleading and border on fraud. If he had not compared it to the other system or simple included a picture, then I'd had no problem with it.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:16 PM
LuS1fer
Pro

Indeed, this has been widely known for years that a cheap resistor does what the CAGS eliminator does but what most people want is a tidy professional job which is why they're willing to pay the extra.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:22 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Caveat Emptor! I the "e" in eBay should stand for Emptor as a warning. Sucks for you, but good for you to take up doing that write up. At least it only cost you $8 to find out, not $8K or something.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:30 PM
mlupone
Instructor

Originally Posted by MyVetteDream
Caveat Emptor! I the "e" in eBay should stand for Emptor as a warning. Sucks for you, but good for you to take up doing that write up. At least it only cost you $8 to find out, not $8K or something.

E-bay purchasers trade cost for risk. Low cost equals low risk. But imagine buying your corvette through e-bay! I wouldn't, but that's just me. I'm not a big risk taker.

Last edited by mlupone; 09-25-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I purchased a throttle Body bypass from a guy on e-bay. His add showed a picture of the one with two different size ends, hose clamps and the hoses that come with it. The price was about 1/2 of what was normaly being asked for the more expensive TB bypass. When it arrived, it was nothing more than a brass fitting that I could have picked up at home depot for 75 cents!!!

I sent him a NASTY e-mail and demanded my money back!

Everything worked out for the better!

BC
Old 09-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,230 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

At least it wasn't something that was a critical component to the car or very expensive. Have to be careful what you buy on e-Bay.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:47 AM
Davesredvette
Pro

I'm pretty disappointed in Ebay as well. I bought a rear lowering kit, the ad said almost identical to the kits costing $50 or more. The Ebay price was $25, not real cheap, I figured the guy found a source for the bolts and didn't have any overhead.

The $50 dollar kits come with bolts, lock nuts, washers and bushings. The Ebay kit that stated almost identical came with bolts, washers and non-locking nuts. No bushings or lock nuts... Basically $6 worth of parts.. Live and learn...
Old 09-26-2004, 07:22 AM
C5naples
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MyVetteDream
Old 09-26-2004, 01:13 PM
wireless
Team Owner

Photochop Terrorist

Originally Posted by LuS1fer
Indeed, this has been widely known for years that a cheap resistor does what the CAGS eliminator does but what most people want is a tidy professional job which is why they're willing to pay the extra.
A tidy professional job would be a reprogram. :o

Get notified of new replies

To My skip shift story.

Quick Reply: My skip shift story.