Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Better Looking than C6 By a Mile...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 06:20 AM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

A month ago a got a C5/Vert. love it, its sleek with the hidden lights! Theres no body side moldings on the C6. I like it on my C5!
Old 09-19-2004, 09:22 AM
6SHIFTIN
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 not doing it

I have seen all the pictures here and in the mags and seen the car in person and on the road and it is just not doing it for me and I have given it quite a while now. Even though I have a C5, I wanted the C6 to have better styling, as some day I wanted to move that way.

Technically with the improved horsepower, the interior, the 18/19 wheels, the suspension/handling etc., all that is good and GM has done a good job here. But what is with the styling, especially the front end? They should have never let that Tom Peters guy near this car.

I was looking at pictures of the C5R today in Corvette magazine, page 58 to 61 and just ahead of this on page 56 (top) is the new face of the C6. What were they thinking? If they wanted to move to non pop ups they already had a C5R model to go by. So why did we end up with fish eyes. And as someone else has said a carp mouth. Very disappointing. I am not trying to bash anyone who likes it or has or is about to buy one but it is just too different styling wise in the front end. The smaller size doesn't work that well for me either and the front license plate fiasco is just the icing on the cake.

Interestingly my wife loves it, but she is also a fan of the Miata and the Z4 BMW. And I think that is part of the problem, they have made the Vette much less exotic and more run of the mill. They should have been moving more toward previous generation Viper exotic and not a Japanese/European look alike.

I know that this sounds harsh but this is how I feel and it is getting worse not better as I see more and more of the C6. Unless something changes the new plan is to mod the C5 with gears, heads, cam, headers etc. and wait for the C7.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:26 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Larry_Yerton
A picture is worth a 1000 words.
I love this picture!
Old 09-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Liger
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>I had a bunch of people over at my house during the Olympics, when >that "Boy's Dream" commercial aired. One of the girls said "That's the >new Vette? It looks like a *** car . . . . . . . . . Kinda like a Mazda!" >Everyone in the room agreed with her. 7 guys and 6 girls; nobody >liked it. These were all regular people who are not "into" Vettes.

...That says it all right there. That's the same response I've
been hearing from "non Vette" people.

-B
Old 09-19-2004, 12:09 PM
Cary
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 6SHIFTIN
I have seen all the pictures here and in the mags and seen the car in person and on the road and it is just not doing it for me and I have given it quite a while now. Even though I have a C5, I wanted the C6 to have better styling, as some day I wanted to move that way.

Technically with the improved horsepower, the interior, the 18/19 wheels, the suspension/handling etc., all that is good and GM has done a good job here. But what is with the styling, especially the front end? They should have never let that Tom Peters guy near this car.

I was looking at pictures of the C5R today in Corvette magazine, page 58 to 61 and just ahead of this on page 56 (top) is the new face of the C6. What were they thinking? If they wanted to move to non pop ups they already had a C5R model to go by. So why did we end up with fish eyes. And as someone else has said a carp mouth. Very disappointing. I am not trying to bash anyone who likes it or has or is about to buy one but it is just too different styling wise in the front end. The smaller size doesn't work that well for me either and the front license plate fiasco is just the icing on the cake.

Interestingly my wife loves it, but she is also a fan of the Miata and the Z4 BMW. And I think that is part of the problem, they have made the Vette much less exotic and more run of the mill. They should have been moving more toward previous generation Viper exotic and not a Japanese/European look alike.

I know that this sounds harsh but this is how I feel and it is getting worse not better as I see more and more of the C6. Unless something changes the new plan is to mod the C5 with gears, heads, cam, headers etc. and wait for the C7.
Wow, your post was well written. Just maybe the C6 Z06 version will have C5R headlights and lose the smiley fish mouth.

The C6 sounds like it was an improvement in the performace/handling arena, yet a step backwards in appearance. It will be very interesting to see how many C5 owners decide to add performance/handling mods, rather than change over to the Chevron cartoon looking C6.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:09 PM
HHC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by boatboatboat
c-6 is a great looking car. I would LOVE to own one.

Till then I'll just settle with my 04 vert.........

I agree, except 04 coupe
Old 09-19-2004, 03:13 PM
IMQUIK
Le Mans Master

C6 is FUGLY!!
Old 09-19-2004, 08:53 PM
Derf
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like my C5, liked it from the very start. It never had to "grow on me" like the C6. They are both great cars, don't get me wrong, it's a vette right?
Old 09-19-2004, 08:58 PM
VettXPert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cary

Do you work for Chevron?

The C6 looks like it has parts missing in the grill area.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give it some time (damned horse anyway)
Old 09-19-2004, 09:54 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 09-19-2004, 10:03 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 6SHIFTIN
the front license plate fiasco is just the icing on the cake.

What fiasco? I think it looks fine.

Old 09-19-2004, 10:14 PM
daveinfla
Instructor

Like it or not the C6 styling is here to stay (for about 6 or more years) I personally will probably buy a C6 in a couple of years or keep my Z and buy a ZR-1 (sweet history for the money). I choose to buy a new Z06 instead of a C6 because of the price/performance. Let's face it all of these cars value will fall and the less you spend the shorter the fall.
I have heard complaints about the C5's cheesy interior and the C6 is great, the C6 is great and the C5 is crap. IMHO: this is my dough and you like a x and I like a y who gives a crap. Off my box..
Enjoy your fine rides..
Old 09-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Cary
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by StevieB
What fiasco? I think it looks fine.

Old 09-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Cary
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by daveinfla
Like it or not the C6 styling is here to stay (for about 6 or more years)

I have heard complaints about the C5's cheesy interior and the C6 is great, the C6 is great and the C5 is crap.
Yes, I've heard many complaints in regard to the C5 interior. Yet, except for lack of storage space (I liked the storage space in the door panels of the '02 TA I had), the interior does not bother me.

...the C6 is great and the C5 is crap

IMHO: this is my dough and you like a x and I like a y who gives a crap. Off my box.. Enjoy your fine rides..
Well, this Thread, C5 better looking than a C6, sure has gotten a lot of post, so I guess several "gives a crap".
Old 09-19-2004, 11:21 PM
StevieB
Le Mans Master

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

After conducting exhaustive research, I have finally found the inspiration for the C6 front end.

Old 09-19-2004, 11:45 PM
daveinfla
Instructor

Hey fellow C5'rs. Before anyone else mis-reads my post. I have a new Z06 and owned a new C5 coupe before. My Z06 is my 5th Corvette. I wasn't saying the C6 is great or the interior of the C5 is crap. This is what I have read on these forums, I was only repeating what has been said to prove a point at this non-sense that won't mean anything in 100 years, this is a fact. Buy what you want and I'll still wave back.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Better Looking than C6 By a Mile...

Old 09-20-2004, 12:01 AM
big C
Intermediate

Hey fellow C5'rs. Before anyone else mis-reads my post. I have a new Z06 and owned a new C5 coupe before. My Z06 is my 5th Corvette. I wasn't saying the C6 is great or the interior of the C5 is crap. This is what I have read on these forums, I was only repeating what has been said to prove a point at this non-sense that won't mean anything in 100 years, this is a fact. Buy what you want and I'll still wave back.
My 2002 triple black vert is my 4th vette and the best yet. Saw and sat in the new c6 at the local dealer today. Was impressed with the performance and the options but not the styling. Remindes me of the 67 to 68 style changes. I'll take the 67 vette over the 68 any day. By the way, I owned a 68.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:51 AM
LuS1fer
Pro

"It'll grow on you"
Let's look at that.
Jaguar XJS - didn't
Acura NSX - didn't
BMW new 7 and 5 series - didn't
Porsche 996 - didn't
No, there are some cars you're not sure of to start with where it might grow on you but if you don't like it, you don't like it and there's no point fooling yourself. But it's your money and you should buy what YOU like whether it's a C1,2,3,4,5 or 6.
BTW, I like the new Viper, not as much as the old one, but it works and the Vette looks nothing like it.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:00 AM
Liger
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by StevieB
After conducting exhaustive research, I have finally found the inspiration for the C6 front end.

LOL!

-Bryan

Quick Reply: C5 Better Looking than C6 By a Mile...