Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

have I damaged my seat?

Old 09-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Winterlude
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default have I damaged my seat?

So as I was re-installing the removable roof I was kneeling on my seat and at one point as I had my weight on one knee I heard a slight pop, and I felt something give slightly under my knee. I just figured it was a spring or something so I kept going and then it happened 2 more times whenever I would reposition my knee. So I sat on the seat and it's not as flat, it's more sunken, and when I press the power up bar, that part of the seat doesn't immediately raise with the rest of the seat, it delays a second or 2 and then goes up. So I ran my hand under the seat on the floor and discovered that there are these wires, like 5 or 6 that run from the front to the back under the seat, like as if the seat rests on these wires, and there are 2 or 3 that are just loose, meaning they are attached at only one end, the other end has popped out. I'm surprised this has even happened, I don't even weight that much, like 170 maybe, anyway I have no idea the extent of what I've done here, does anybody know how to fix this? Is it even fixable or do I have to have it taken in to the dealer?

Last edited by Winterlude; 09-07-2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 PM
splinters
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not that familiar with the construction of the seat bottom, but they are easy to remove. Just pop off the plastic covers and remove the four bolts. Unplug the harness and you can lift it out. Should be an easy fix from there.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like you did the "tall man" mod... Taking out a couple springs to get a inch or so more head room. Doesn't seem like they should be so sensitive though. I've heard the seats are easy to get out, but I can't give any personal advise. Some one else will be along I'm sure.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Luv2Run
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Click on the link for my interior pics to see the inside of 2002 sport seat bottom...maybe that will help you figure it out.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:51 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,295 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You would sure think that the seat bottom would be stronger than that!
Old 09-07-2004, 04:17 PM
manike
Instructor

When you sit down do you feel lower? If so does it still feel comfortable? I've been thinking about doing this on purpose.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Winterlude
Pro

no it doesn't really feel right, basically the center of the seat has lost support and sinks in more. I wouldn't recommend doing it on purpose, it feels like the seat has lost it's proper balance, you could really feel it when moving the whole seat in the up direction, it seems like one corner of the seat gets left behind due to the lack of support and eventually gets picked up as the seat raises, so I would guess that unless you're flat on the floor, part of the seat hangs lower than the rest.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Winterlude
Pro

Originally Posted by Luv2Run
Click on the link for my interior pics to see the inside of 2002 sport seat bottom...maybe that will help you figure it out.
Yeah actually that does help, the "driver's seat electronics" pic looks exactly how it felt from underneath, it's those wires that have broken, unfortunately it looks like they go around the bar and twist tie on, which would mean for them to come off they would have to snap, judging from the pic anyway. I hope I'm wrong though.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

you either broke a frame rail pivot point... there is one on each corner or you broke a couple of the foam support wires.. there are six or so wires that help to spread the weight out over the seat bottom.. if you used your knee to support your weight , your knee is much smaller than your butt.. by kneeing those wires you went over their weight holding value... if you are the least mechanically inclined, you can remove the seat and re string the wires with some stainless steel wire. The seat is not designed to be stood on or kneed.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 09-07-2004 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,186 Likes on 13,910 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The seats are very easy to remove (4 bolts and a couple of wire connectors) and then you can see what has happened. May have to take them into an upholstery shop for the fix, depending on what is wrong. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Winterlude
Pro

thnks for the replies I plan on taking it out tomorrow, since I'm going to have it out, is there anything I can do about that rocking problem or is that something that's more involved.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:14 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with the repairs!
Old 09-18-2004, 01:43 PM
Winterlude
Pro

Ok, I finally got the seat out and I found the problem, at least 5 of the 8 wires that distribute the weight popped out at the end, most of the ends actually broke, seemed like a simple fix.....NOT!

I called the dealer, the parts guy stopped by my house,(I'm on his way home) and checked out the broken wires, called me the next day to tell me that no dealer in canada has this and it has to come from Lansing(?)
anyway, 2 problems, that would take a week, and secondly, he couldn't get a straight answer from anybody whether he was ordering a single wire or he would be getting the entire harness. (All 8 wires and the end supports, which would be ideal) He says it sounds like it's the whole harness but it's only $8.00 so it doesn't seem right, anyway he ordered it.

Meanwhile I tried to fix it myself with wire, I went to home depot, it turns out this wire is quite special, it's not regular, I found lots of wire that was identical but the corvette wire is not bendable, it's only flexible, any other wire I found you could bend it with your finger and it would stay in the shape of the bend, like wire normally does. The corvette wire is the same guage but like 1000x stronger, so I took it to a steel shop and they couldn't help, but they did tell me it's tempered wire, it's basically regular wire that has been specially heated to become very strong. They suggested I find a place with an oven that would heat the wire for me, I said thanks.

So now I'm stuck, my car is seatless, I'm waiting on a part that may not even be the right one, and I can't fix it myself.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-18-2004, 01:46 PM
jerrymcb
Safety Car

Try Gene at Karshop.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:32 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

What you're looking for is "Piano Wire". Check a hobby/model shop they usually have it in 36" lengths.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Winterlude
Pro

Originally Posted by sxe60
What you're looking for is "Piano Wire". Check a hobby/model shop they usually have it in 36" lengths.
Awesome, I will.

Get notified of new replies

To have I damaged my seat?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: have I damaged my seat?