Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior paint for door panels-- Anybody with pix??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 09:51 PM
HotLaperC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior paint for door panels-- Anybody with pix??

I've heard that there is a special paint that can be bought and used to paint the interior door panels. Rumor has it that its pretty good stuff. Anyone got pix? Was it easy to do???
Old 09-03-2004, 10:25 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

what part of door panel do you want to paint? The vinyl part of the door panel is best painted with a vinyl dye. I have dyed ALOT of vinyl and always use a product made by SEM. It is available on the net or through your local autobody supply shop. I highly suggest you get the SEM vinyl cleaner/prep and follow the instructions. It is pretty easy to do and you should have excellent results. The product is available in a spray can or to be shot from a gun. Also it can be custom mixed for exact color matches.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:28 PM
cwhitpan
Drifting

Location: Pop on over and visit me at www.FixedRoofCoupe.com PA

I found Corvette America sells the best dye around. Works great on my car and was recommended by both a body shop that specializes in vettes and people here.

I did mine in May and LOVE the results, looks stock!

Here ya go..

Here is a how to along with the link to buy the dye FixedRoofCoupe.com
Old 09-03-2004, 11:04 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

That looks pretty good. A bit pricey though at 6 bucks a can more plus shipping.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:45 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Default I'm painting this weekend

I started removing the vinyl on the lower section of the door panel and will clean and prep the plastic underneath for custom paint. I'm painting a lot of the interior this weekend, just finished gutting the interior 2 hours ago. Although I still have to remove the dash cluster to get the trim around the dash off.

I spent 6 hours this morning modifying the rear speaker trim to fit around my Polk speakers, had to fiberglass and putty several areas.

Check with me tomorrow on the vinyl removal, so far it's a pain in the a s s! The vinyl has a thin layer of foam (1/16" or less) and it'd glued to the plastic so cleaning is a pain. I just picked up a couple of different adhesive strippers tonight to try and simplify the process. Worst case senario, I'll end up recovering the area with a new matching color vinyl or leather.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Gray Fox
Team Owner

CI 5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by 74-Roadster
I started removing the vinyl on the lower section of the door panel and will clean and prep the plastic underneath for custom paint. I'm painting a lot of the interior this weekend, just finished gutting the interior 2 hours ago. Although I still have to remove the dash cluster to get the trim around the dash off.

I spent 6 hours this morning modifying the rear speaker trim to fit around my Polk speakers, had to fiberglass and putty several areas.

Check with me tomorrow on the vinyl removal, so far it's a pain in the a s s! The vinyl has a thin layer of foam (1/16" or less) and it'd glued to the plastic so cleaning is a pain. I just picked up a couple of different adhesive strippers tonight to try and simplify the process. Worst case senario, I'll end up recovering the area with a new matching color vinyl or leather.

Hi Glenn!!! Good luck, sounds like you have a full day ahead of you. Can't wait to see your car when it's done.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:31 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Gray Fox
Hi Glenn!!! Good luck, sounds like you have a full day ahead of you. Can't wait to see your car when it's done.
Full Day??????? I hope to paint on Sunday and reassemble on Monday, but after getting into the door panel stuff, I'll be doing good if I'm painting on Monday.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:18 AM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 74-Roadster
Full Day??????? I hope to paint on Sunday and reassemble on Monday, but after getting into the door panel stuff, I'll be doing good if I'm painting on Monday.
Be careful with those doors! Lots of electronic doo-hickeys in there that don't like ham-handed mechanics!
Old 09-04-2004, 08:23 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
Be careful with those doors! Lots of electronic doo-hickeys in there that don't like ham-handed mechanics!
Huh?
Old 09-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Joe Diver
CF Enhanced Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
Naw...he knows what he's doing.....
Old 09-04-2004, 02:59 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
Naw...he knows what he's doing.....
Thanks man!
Old 09-04-2004, 03:45 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Easy to do. Take your time, mask it off, and make sure the surface is clean. I used denatured alcohol to remove all the cleaning residue prior to spraying. I used the dye available from Mid America, but the SEM referred to above is excellent if you can find a supplier. Here's the interior of my old '99 before and after I installed dyed pieces. The driver's side knee bolster is stock, the other three pieces are dyed. You can do it!

And when I got finished with the seats, you couldn't tell what was original and what was dyed.

Last edited by BSiegPaint; 09-04-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:49 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Default Nice!!!!

Looks very good. So you used the dye on the seats too? Have you had any trouble with wear?
Old 09-05-2004, 12:23 AM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Thanks - the seats were stock pieces - I only used the dye on the glove box and door panels. Perfect match for the rest of the factory-colored pieces. I understand the SEM dye works great on seats, but I haven't had any experience with that.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior paint for door panels-- Anybody with pix??

Quick Reply: Interior paint for door panels-- Anybody with pix??