Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Brand Of Gas (fl)

cHEVRON IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD 93 HIGH TEST

THANKS
Old 08-19-2004, 11:38 AM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

I work at a *STEEDA* Ford aftermarket performance company here in south florida. All the reps say Mobil is the best gas that we have, even more so for SC cars.
Jon
Old 08-19-2004, 11:40 AM
CAJUNY2KC5
Le Mans Master

I use Chevron 93 first and Amoco if I can't get Chevron.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:59 AM
Sully C5
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Our car runs noticeably better on Chevron.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:16 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Sully C5
Our car runs noticeably better on Chevron.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:13 PM
DSOM Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XCELER8
I work at a *STEEDA* Ford aftermarket performance company here in south florida. All the reps say Mobil is the best gas that we have, even more so for SC cars.
Jon
I've been to plenty of name brand gas stations, including Mobil stations here in the NY Metro area while a generic truck is filling their tanks. One company in particular is called "Island Transportation". I believe that the fact is that there is no law preventing a gas station from filling their tanks with generic gas (also disclosure is not necessary). They pay for the franchise name of the station, to attract customers, yet the gas is generic. There is no telling what brand you are actually getting. Recently I've been to some Sunoco stations selling 93 Octane as "Ultra" with no 94 octane available. That tends to have me believe that they are filling up with generic gas.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:28 PM
ACELR8N
Pro

They are all pretty much the same, except for cleaning agents. It's marketing hype and aside from octane, the combustion chamber could care less. Oh, unless of course you're in a state that requires carbonated seltzer bubbles for better air quality. Then you displace about 10% of the fluid mass with air... Huge ripoff.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:43 PM
OOBlackconvert
Racer

I have owned supercharged and turbocharged cars, and they have allways ran best on Chevron. This could all be in my head, but I prefer Chevron. I have also heard the big three auto manufacturers will only use Chevron for emissions testing.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:51 PM
dkdonkim
Burning Brakes

chevy????? chevron??????
only use chevron....91 is all we got in cali....
Old 08-19-2004, 01:57 PM
pbadad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default best gas

octane is octane is octane,..........I was in the oil business, it all comes from the same distributers........depending on brand, but the octane #'s are regulated by law...........jimmy
Old 08-19-2004, 02:09 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Pewtavert
I've been to plenty of name brand gas stations, including Mobil stations here in the NY Metro area while a generic truck is filling their tanks. One company in particular is called "Island Transportation". I believe that the fact is that there is no law preventing a gas station from filling their tanks with generic gas (also disclosure is not necessary). They pay for the franchise name of the station, to attract customers, yet the gas is generic. There is no telling what brand you are actually getting. Recently I've been to some Sunoco stations selling 93 Octane as "Ultra" with no 94 octane available. That tends to have me believe that they are filling up with generic gas.
Maybe, maybe not. Strictly from a "business case" standpoint, I could see where using a conractor to deliver your gas would be less costly than owning and operating your own fleet of vehicles. I'm not saying that is indeed what is happening, just that it's a possibility....

For the record, I've used Mobil for the last 12-14 years, pretty much exclusively. 93 octane in my C-5 and Z-28, and regular in the winter beater 4x4. The only time I ever really noticed any difference in gasolines was when I went on vacation a few years back, and used Texaco while in the southern states. The car seemed to run a tad better.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I use either Amoco/BP or Exxon/Mobil. No Chevron stations around here.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:53 PM
tmcclaff
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Originally Posted by Pewtavert

I have watched these trucks pull out of the mobile station in Smithtown and go right to a Jetco (independent) and fill them up next
Old 08-19-2004, 04:03 PM
GrayC5
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mstewart

THANKS
Gasoline wholesalers/distributors can and do supply gasoline to any number of different brand stations. Go to you telephone book yellow pages and look up "gasoline wholesale" for wholesalers/distributors in your area. Check their ads and I think you will see that many say they supply both branded and unbranded gasolines. So, it really all boils down to where the gasoline was refined more so than the brand.

Last edited by GrayC5; 08-19-2004 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Typing/Spelling
Old 08-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Snake Slayer
Safety Car

Received 519 Likes on 198 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Maybe, maybe not. Strictly from a "business case" standpoint, I could see where using a conractor to deliver your gas would be less costly than owning and operating your own fleet of vehicles. I'm not saying that is indeed what is happening, just that it's a possibility....

For the record, I've used Mobil for the last 12-14 years, pretty much exclusively. 93 octane in my C-5 and Z-28, and regular in the winter beater 4x4. The only time I ever really noticed any difference in gasolines was when I went on vacation a few years back, and used Texaco while in the southern states. The car seemed to run a tad better.
Guys dont be fooled by a "no name tanker filling up" most refiners are not in the hauling business too risky in this day and age. They often outsource their hauling, also many smaller stations simply buy from who ever has the cheapest price at the rack. That being said it is not uncommon for the Jetco's of the world to buy mobil one week and Texaco the next.

Old 08-19-2004, 04:54 PM
Halls 2
Pro

Originally Posted by mstewart

THANKS
I agree that octane is octane but the additives is what make some brands better than others. Chevron has Techron which keeps your car running better by decreasing carbon deposits and keeps your fuel system cleaner. So considering this Chevron is my first choice.

Does anyone remember the Standard (now Chevron) Custom Supreme grade of gas back in the 60's? It had the highest octane of any pumped gas sold. It was around 100 octane if I recall. Too bad they still don't sell that grade of gas today.

Techron
Old 08-19-2004, 05:23 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Different parts of the country get different octanes. For some unknown reason (altitude maybe?) the highest octane you can buy in the Southwest and California - unless you purchase $5 a gallon racing fuel is 91 octane.

As far as which brand, it's been discussed at least a zillion times around here that the Chevron with Techron seems to cause the least amount of problems with the fuel guage senders and actually cleans up the sulfur deposits. I've been using the Chevron and I'd have to agree.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:40 PM
charlene
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I use sunoco 93 you can use the 94 but you save some money with the 93 and the results are the same so why spend the extra bucks

Get notified of new replies

To Best Brand Of Gas (fl)

Quick Reply: Best Brand Of Gas (fl)