Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spray paint-interior

Old 08-18-2004, 11:58 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default spray paint-interior

Hi guys, does any catalog sell a spray paint to do the center console and other interior plastic parts? Is there a protective coating that goes over that painted part? Thanks
Old 08-19-2004, 12:36 AM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I paint plastic with either SEM plastic paint or with base coat/clear coat autobody paint. SEM is available in a spray can from your local autobody supply shop. There is also a paint from Krylon called Fusion. It is made from plastic and is supposed to work very well. I have not used it so I can't say. I will tell you this make sure you clean all the plastic parts very well. If there is any residue from Armor All or another product it will fish eye the paint and cause poor adhesion. I put plastic parts in my dishwasher if they fit. If they don't I use denatured alchol several times.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:40 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I agree with the above. Good advice!! I use Krylon for painting and have had great results with it. There is one thing though that is that the console gets pretty hot and might not do so well getting painted. That's my opinion though others here hopefully will chime in and give you more tips.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:39 AM
bsmith
Team Owner

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by doug doo wop
Hi guys, does any catalog sell a spray paint to do the center console and other interior plastic parts? Is there a protective coating that goes over that painted part? Thanks

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.58.3474
Old 08-19-2004, 09:54 AM
CAPN17
Safety Car

Corvette America sells a vinyl dye in spray cans, I have used it and it is very satisfactory, giving great results, unlike the stuff I got from MAM.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:52 AM
ANI
Instructor

You can try this site i am looking to order some dye to do the interior and they said they will do custom colors. i have a le manns blue and want to do some trim work inside and really dont want to use a paint. give the a shout. http://metropartsmarket.com
Old 08-19-2004, 11:36 AM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Default paint

Originally Posted by EatRice
Personally I paint plastic with either SEM plastic paint or with base coat/clear coat autobody paint. SEM is available in a spray can from your local autobody supply shop. There is also a paint from Krylon called Fusion. It is made from plastic and is supposed to work very well. I have not used it so I can't say. I will tell you this make sure you clean all the plastic parts very well. If there is any residue from Armor All or another product it will fish eye the paint and cause poor adhesion. I put plastic parts in my dishwasher if they fit. If they don't I use denatured alchol several times.
Mid-America sells a LIght Oak spray paint and I want to buy a new console trimplate that goes around the radio,air cond. and gearshift and paint it Lt. Oak. Do you think it will come glossy or grainy(which I want)? Do I need to spray some protective coating over the Lt. Oak? Thanks for your help
Old 08-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,209 Likes on 13,925 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Some of the vendors sell interior paint. This may work well. I believe the key is to get the parts as clean as you can before trying the paint. Good luck - let us know how it turns out if you decide to do this.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:28 PM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Tim Burke sanded prepped and painted with exterior Quicksilver and clearcoated...
Old 08-24-2004, 01:12 PM
ANI
Instructor

Originally Posted by stuart
Tim Burke sanded prepped and painted with exterior Quicksilver and clearcoated...
so this was done with exterior paint?. everything that i have been researching all say dont use a paint /but use a dye. for paint that looks great. thats just want i want to do is the console area. i have a couple of bids on console parts if i can get them cheap enough i/ll try it on them and see how they come out. this way if i mess them up i still have mine thanks for all the info
Old 08-24-2004, 01:17 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ANI
so this was done with exterior paint?. everything that i have been researching all say dont use a paint /but use a dye. for paint that looks great. thats just want i want to do is the console area. i have a couple of bids on console parts if i can get them cheap enough i/ll try it on them and see how they come out. this way if i mess them up i still have mine thanks for all the info
You can paint the hard plastic with urethane (exterior paint). You have to sand and prep the plastic just like you would the outside. I'm also using a plastic primer that promotes adhesion to plastic. Probably not a neccesity but certainly worth the small price. I think you can use the dye on vinyl material. I'm not going that route so don't quote me on that item.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:16 PM
CAPN17
Safety Car

The vinyl dye is a flat finish and you need to wash the piece with dawn, then clean with denaytrd alcohol, once it is clean the dye does bond well. If you want a high gloss finish I suggest the same cleaning, then hit it lightly with 800 or even 1200 wet or dry paper to set some tooth to it. Then I would suggest Krylon for plastic spray paint, no primer need and it bonds well. I have had regular spray paints peel like sunburn from the interior plastic so be careful with them.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:43 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Default Interior paint

Thanks for all the replys and those pics looked sweet. Doug
Old 08-24-2004, 05:10 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for all the replys and those pics looked sweet. Doug

I had mine done with auto paints...use a plastic adhesion promoter or it will flake off...

Once done, it looked great, high gloss, and no grain. SEM vinyl sprays work alright, but it's just not the same...

Get notified of new replies

To spray paint-interior

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spray paint-interior