Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 01:37 PM
sdnet
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Having steering column lock disabled

All:

I had a steering column lock the other day - it's in for the recall service now. But, since I own a '99 6-speed manual, this "feature" won't get deactivated. Rather, the way I understand it, it will merely shut off the flow of fuel to the engine, whereby preventing the car from running.

I called a Chevy dealership in my area (D.C.) and they told me that there are campaigns ongoing for CERTAIN automobiles and that I'd have to bring in my Vette and have him run a "vis" check. He said that these campaigns will allow a dealership to completely disable the column lock, even on manual transmission Vettes.

My question here is: is this true? Does anyone here in the D.C. area know of a service department that would work on something like this for me? I am aware, by the way, of the CLB fix - but I'm weary of taking a screwdriver to the inside of my car.

Thanks guys. By the way, I just bought my car on Monday.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:18 PM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Try Tony's Corvette in Gaitherburg , MD. 301 987 0565. He's very good. Save the Wave.>George
Old 08-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,352 Likes on 14,006 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

They do not completely disable the column lock on manual cars. They look to see how the column lock pin is adjusted and if needed, put in some new parts. Then they do the computer flash to shut off the fuel so it can't lock while driving. Best bet is to get the CLB - it is not hard to install at all.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:41 PM
sdnet
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Best bet is to get the CLB - it is not hard to install at all.
Yup, I just ordered it through Thunder Racing and will hopefully install it tomorrow, after the Vette returns from the recall "fix".

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Best bet is to get the CLB - it is not hard to install at all.
Aftermarket bypasses can effect the BCMs, by causing the two relays soldered to the BCM boards to malfunction. Thus giving messages such as Service Column Lock and could eventually damage the relays and trash the BCM. The issue has to do with voltage to the relays, the bypasses reduce it versas the OE voltage and reduced voltage on a relay contact can cause it to stick.

This was told by a GM Engineer to someone on another forum. Just something to think about.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:28 PM
Joe’s Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Shylor
Aftermarket bypasses can effect the BCMs, by causing the two relays soldered to the BCM boards to malfunction. Thus giving messages such as Service Column Lock and could eventually damage the relays and trash the BCM. The issue has to do with voltage to the relays, the bypasses reduce it versas the OE voltage and reduced voltage on a relay contact can cause it to stick.

This was told by a GM Engineer to someone on another forum. Just something to think about.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:34 PM
jsdanehy
Drifting

Cruise-In V Veteran

Aftermarket bypasses can effect the BCMs, by causing
I thought about it . . . moved on down the road

I installed my bypass months ago and no problems . . . until that engineer has his head into the little black box that comes with the bypass he has no idea other than to sing the GM company line . . . If they want to take out the plate and the pin like they do with the A4 then I would take mine in . . . they are not about to do that . . . they want us to have theft protection

Old 08-19-2004, 07:48 AM
sdnet
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I appreciate the response, Shylor, but I highly suspect that the GM guy will generally frown on workable solutions that don't GM's own guys. That said, I'm sure it might be possible to short something out with shoddy installation. But, I've done a ton of research about the CLB, and it seems to be a relatively trivial matter - and highly successful.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Gib
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my '01, 6-speed, in to Ourisman in Bowie, MD last Friday for a recall to fix this. Took them an hour and fifteen minutes and I was out of there. Gib
Old 08-19-2004, 10:37 AM
sdnet
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gib
I took my '01, 6-speed, in to Ourisman in Bowie, MD last Friday for a recall to fix this. Took them an hour and fifteen minutes and I was out of there. Gib
Gib:

The issue here is not who can perform the "fix". As it seems, the recall doesn't actually fix the problem - rather, it absolves GM of liability by cutting off fuel to the engine when the steering column does lock. I was looking for a dealership that would actually DISABLE the steering column lock, which the recall does not do. Unless your dealership did something special, it is possible that your column may lock up again if the "feature" still exists.

To prevent this problem from happening again, that feature needs to be taken out of the vehicle, and the CLB unit seems to simulate the job quite well.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:45 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Nothing to think about... I had the CLB in my 99 for 5 years and no issues. and now in the 04 Z.
If the GM engineer knows so much about what the bypass can do, why don't they know enough to fix the original problem? It also makes no sense that reduced voltage would cause the relay to stick.. sounds like total BS and not worth repeating.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:18 AM
sdnet
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5~Missle
Nothing to think about... I had the CLB in my 99 for 5 years and no issues. and now in the 04 Z.
It's comments like these that make me think the CLB is THE way to go, here. No, scratch that - they make me CERTAIN that this is the way to go.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Halls 2
Pro

What?

Sounds like a bunch of lawyer double speak to me. I've had my CLB install since the fall of 2000 and it has worked perfectly. The peace of mind of not having this well documented problem hanging over my head every time I start my car is well worth the cost of the bypass. It is easy to install to boot.

I just tossed my recall notice in the trash since mine is already fixed.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:35 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sdnet
I appreciate the response, Shylor, but I highly suspect that the GM guy will generally frown on workable solutions that don't GM's own guys.

Not saying the CLB does this to every car. But according to a Corvette Tech on another forum he has seen the damage these can do to the cars electronics. I only posted it as something to think about, not that I agree with it.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:47 PM
sdnet
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Not saying the CLB does this to every car. But according to a Corvette Tech on another forum he has seen the damage these can do to the cars electronics. I only posted it as something to think about, not that I agree with it.
That could be, and like I said, I appreciate your message. I have to weigh the risks here based on the fairly in-depth research that I've done on the matter. I've found about a 98/2% favorable percentage towards this CLB, which is why I ultimately decided to purchase the unit. I haven't installed it yet, though, because the car is still at the shop.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:45 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok I got a question.

I have only owned my '99 for a little over a year. Never had the sterring lock up yet.

How can I tell if the previous owner installed the CLB already? Where is it located and what does it look like?

I got my recall notice and figured on throwing it away. Will buy the CLB if needed.
Mine is a MN6
Old 08-19-2004, 10:58 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HawkIVette
Ok I got a question.

I have only owned my '99 for a little over a year. Never had the sterring lock up yet.

How can I tell if the previous owner installed the CLB already? Where is it located and what does it look like?

I got my recall notice and figured on throwing it away. Will buy the CLB if needed.
Mine is a MN6
If you can turn your steering wheel with the ignition off/key out, then you either have a CLB or the steering lock has been removed. Another sign of the CLB is you do not hear the "zzzzt" when you turn your ignition on and off.

Get notified of new replies

To Having steering column lock disabled

Old 08-19-2004, 11:08 PM
Halls 2
Pro

Originally Posted by HawkIVette
Ok I got a question.

Mine is a MN6
Easy to tell if a CLB is installed. When you turn on the key to start (but don’t crank) OR turn off the key (& remove) your will hear a little motor running for about two seconds inside the steering column, (behind the steering wheel). Some sound like a little grinder. Also with the key out you will not be able to turn the steering wheel as it will be locked. If you hear nothing but silence when you turn on OR turn off (remove key) you have a CLB. Also with the car off and the key removed and you can still turn the steering wheel if you have a CLB.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:13 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Is there an echo in here????
Old 08-21-2004, 10:47 AM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WWK888
Originally Posted by WWK888

Thanks Guys.
Thanks Guys.

I must not have the CLB then. Will order one tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Having steering column lock disabled