Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97-98 CLB Not Working? Then use the *GM* Column Lock Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 01:29 PM
TorchRedRaider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 97-98 CLB Not Working? Then use the *GM* Column Lock Bypass. 99+ too.

If your CLB is not working correctly or you want to use the GM CLB, please read.

NHTSA linked July 26, 2004 Column Lock TSB and Remedy Instructions http://152.122.48.12/prepos/files/Ar...4V060-4012.pdf

I have been reading a lot of questions about the Column Lock (CL) and Column Lock Bypass (CLB) recently, and I would like everyone to know there is a CLB, most likely unknowingly, provided by GM. Some 97-98 C5's cannot use the aftermarket CLB's at all or with issues, and this information is written with these owners in mind.

Update: If you have a CLB installed and take your Vette in for the CLB recall, GM will test for and remove the CLB. It is in the recall instructions. I recieved a PM from a forum GM dealer to alert you. I would remove the CLB if I was going to have the recall done.

Disclaimer:
This should work on any C5 though I have only installed it in my 98 MN6. According to my research, the aftermarket CLB's work fine on 99-2004 C5's and some 97-98. The GM CLB has fixed my issues, but I do not guarantee it to work on your C5. Caveat Emptor. If someone has installed or does install it in another Vette, PM me and I'll update this post with your comments.

Summary:
Part: GM# 88952427 and will be identified as Harness K. This is for the A4, but works just as well in a MN6 as it is only a relay installed between the BCM and CL.
Cost: ~$72 + shipping from Ken Fitchner's

Background:
I began getting the "Service Column Lock" message about 5 months after purchasing my 98 in Aug 2002. They became more frequent in the summer of 2003. I suspect the column lock motor is not very heat tolerant and that is the most likely cause of failure to this device.
I have installed 3 CLB devices prior. Two from Corvettes of Houston (COH), who were kind enough to send me a replacement to check if the first device was bad, and one from jmX, purchased on his website, but now available through Thunder Racing. I installed each according to the instructions as they are essentially the same install. I pulled fuses and disconnected the battery several times. All three would give me the "Pull Key, Wait 10 Seconds" message on every start. I essentially had to start the Vette twice every time. Step1: Insert Key, turn to On. Step2: Turn off, remove key. Step 3: Insert key, and Start. Occasionally I would even get the "Service Column Lock" message.
This got very tiresome and I was concerned about the wear on the fuel pump as well as not being able to start the car quickly in case of trouble. So, I read and searched many sources of information, poured over the wiring diagram, and emailed various persons for answers.
I began to suspect that the CLB's relays used by COH and jmX were not exactly what the BCM was expecting/looking for on a 97/98. I have not found conclusive evidence that there is a difference between the BCM's of any C5. In fact, as far as I can tell, the replacement circuit board of the BCM is the same for all year models, hence they are the same. In any event, on a 97-98, the BCM needs to see the CL switching a little earlier/later or a sending slightly higher/lower voltage than what the aftermarket CLB products are providing.

Discovery:
Since GM blocks off the CL from the A4 cars, but does not change the BCM, I deduced that they must have a CLB device. I found the needed reference material at the Corvette Action Center though the site appears down right now.
The part number is GM# 88952427 and will be identified as Harness K. This is the repair kit for the A4, not MN6, but because they do not ever remove the functioning of the CL on the MN6 and they do on the A4, it's the A4 kit that is wanted.
The kit is a large relay with 2 four-pin wiring harnesses joined to it, one for the BCM side and one for the CL side. It also comes with instructions and a tie-wrap.
This is what it looks like.

Install:
Installing a CLB is easy, but make sure you read as much as you can find beforehand.
The GM CLB does come with instructions about pulling the steering wheel, adding the block off plate, and such, but this is not necessary.
http://www.97vette.com/howto/columnlock/index.html
I installed it just like the instructions above.
Note: One difference, I did not hook up the CL to CLB side, as my CL was already retracted during install of the previous CLB devices. You have three options: 1. make your own cigarette lighter to CL retraction cable. 2. hook up the GM CLB to CL side for a very short second or two, turn the ignition to On, and then unhook it once you hear the pin retract. 3. hook it up and leave it as I suspect it energizes the CL only in the extended position and once retracted, does not ever energize and extend it again.
I wrapped it in some very light ¼ inch air filter foam I bought at Home Depot and zip-tied it per the GM instruction location behind the trunk release button here:
Here is the pciture of how I mounted it.

Lastly:
I have run this *fix* on my 98 MN6 Vert for 3 months with no issues.
I hope this helps others and I would like to make this a Tech Tip if possible.

Research Data:
http://www.gmtcny.com/columnlocks.htm
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/bulletin.html
<- online now
http://www.97vette.com/
http://www.corvettecavalry.com/techtips.html
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/kenfichtner//Partspage1.shtml

Last edited by DogOneTex; 08-18-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:51 PM
bsmith
Team Owner

Received 62 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

very interesting....
I have been having problems lately with my CLB already installed.

I may have to try this when I get some time.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good, informative post. Hope this helps all the '97-98 owners out there.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:13 PM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=DogOneTex]I have been reading a lot of questions about the Column Lock (CL) and Column Lock Bypass (CLB) recently, and I would like everyone to know there is a CLB, most likely unknowingly, provided by GM. Some 97-98 C5's cannot use the aftermarket CLB's at all or with issues, and this information is written with these owners in mind.
[QUOTE]

Rob,

Excellent post This site is amazing.

My brother just bought a '98 A4 (I have an '02 M6 with the CLB installed) and I have been "slowly and carefully" explaining the annoying, but tolerable, "issues" with the C5. I don't know if I have done justice to the whole "difference between an M6 and A4", and have not yet insisted that he install the aftermarket CLB as I have also read many posts about them not working on the '97 & '98 models.
So this is great. This is exactly what he needs.

Maybe you can clear something up for me since it appears that you have done a lot of research on this topic.
First, I assume (Oh, Oh ) that GM can remove the locking plate from an A4, which I believe is done in the recall, because the transmission can not be taken out of Park if a "theft event" or occurs. Does that make sense? Also, I have never heard any mention of shutting of the fuel flow with an A4, such as with the M6. Why would they not do that (or do they) on an A4 as well. I guess that it is necessary with an M6 becuase it can be taken out of gear an moved. Do M6's still have a locking plate, even after the BCM code is modified to ensure no fuel flow (basically, does the recall remove the locking plate from an M6?).

Mostly just curiousity, as I don't worry much about it anymore with my CLB installed.

Can this Harness K be ordered from gmpartsdirect.com?

Thanks again,
Old 08-12-2004, 12:42 AM
TorchRedRaider
Racer

Originally Posted by roscoe118
First, I assume (Oh, Oh ) that GM can remove the locking plate from an A4, which I believe is done in the recall, because the transmission can not be taken out of Park if a "theft event" or occurs. Does that make sense? Also, I have never heard any mention of shutting of the fuel flow with an A4, such as with the M6. Why would they not do that (or do they) on an A4 as well. I guess that it is necessary with an M6 becuase it can be taken out of gear an moved. Do M6's still have a locking plate, even after the BCM code is modified to ensure no fuel flow (basically, does the recall remove the locking plate from an M6?).
Can this Harness K be ordered from gmpartsdirect.com?
Not sure if there is such a thing as a locking plate. The A4 is locked out electronically by the BCM.
I think you mean the block off plate, which is to keep the CL pin from extending to the locked position in an A4 in the steering column. You are right, this can be done because the A4 is secure due to the transmission lock out.

MN6 never have had the block off plate installed as GM cannot intentionally disrupt the functioning of the Column Lock due to NTSA regulations when the car was designed, unlike the A4.

No reason why a person could not install a block off plate on an MN6, just no reason why you would want to once the CL is disabled and disconnected.

As far as the fuel cutoff, I believe all C5's are programmed this way to ensure that the Vette is not drivable if it sees a wrong code from the BCM due to the CL in the locked (extended) position. This is the function of all CLB's, to fool the BCM into thinking the CL is in the unlocked (retracted) position to allow the Vette to be driven.

No reason you could not buy this part from gmpartsdirect, but because of their record of being difficult to contact and high shipping costs, I'd patronize Fitchner Chevy, who had always provided service I'd expect, and will always answer the phone.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:22 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DogOneTex
MN6 never have had the block off plate installed as GM cannot intentionally disrupt the functioning of the Column Lock due to NTSA regulations when the car was designed, unlike the A4.

As far as the fuel cutoff, I believe all C5's are programmed this way to ensure that the Vette is not drivable if it sees a wrong code from the BCM due to the CL in the locked (extended) position. This is the function of all CLB's, to fool the BCM into thinking the CL is in the unlocked (retracted) position to allow the Vette to be driven.

No reason you could not buy this part from gmpartsdirect, but because of their record of being difficult to contact and high shipping costs, I'd patronize Fitchner Chevy, who had always provided service I'd expect, and will always answer the phone.

I thought that they were removing something (locking plate?), but now I see that they are installing a plate (A4's) to prevent pin from extending and locking the column.

OK, so if the "blocking plate" is not being installed on M6's (the column can still lock), and the BCM already shuts off the fuel flow, then I wonder what the recall does on an M6. I have read that the car will run but at an idle. Perhaps the recall shuts off the fuel totally? Or it shuts fuel flow more quickly?

Fitchner Chevy it will be for the '98 A4 CLB

Old 08-12-2004, 09:22 PM
Quasar21
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great post Dog....
I've looked and my CLB is still installed in my 99. I've got a couple of questions. Since I'm getting the 'Pull Key' message intermittently, and the dealer has replaced the relay previously, would it be best to replace the existing relay AND remove my current CLB and replace it with Part: GM# 88952427? Or do you think just replacing the existing CLB with Harness K will cure my problem? Advice?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Excellent post!!! Pictures even. Thank you very much!!!!

I went to the stealership this week and looked into the bypass myself. Having done a fare bit of research on this myself. Well being up here in Canada the stealership wanted $190 for the harness. Mind you if I paid $72 US and paid the exchange and taxes on it it would come out to about $114 Canadian. Still you'd think we could get a better price than that.

Man I would like to have 5 minutes with that bypass, with a meter!!! For I think it's like the military paying $5000 for a toilet. There's a $4 relay and a couple of connectors and they want to charge $72 for it.

What I would love to know is, is there a part number on the relay? Is the connector that has two wires coming out of it the connector that replaces the connection that the CL made? And if so it's a four pin connector so is the other two pins shorted or just not there at all? And with a meter are the two wire going to the coil of the relay and if so what is the resistance of the coil? I know you've probably already installed it so this may all be in vein. But thanks for stepping up with your great post.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:31 AM
Monk
Racer

Originally Posted by DogOneTex
I have been reading a lot of questions about the Column Lock (CL) and Column Lock Bypass (CLB) recently, and I would like everyone to know there is a CLB, most likely unknowingly, provided by GM. Some 97-98 C5's cannot use the aftermarket CLB's at all or with issues, and this information is written with these owners in mind.
Excellent post for us '97 & '98 folks!!! Thank you!!!

Went to my "preferred" dealership for C5 work this week to get the recall done. They were/are backed up 10 days on service appointments. Damn! At that time, they had not yet done their first column lock recall work on an A4. Made me a bit nervous, especially after seeing the instruction BOOK that they need to follow. Yikes!!! I think I want them to do a bunch of other C5s before they do mine. Practice makes perfect ya know!!!

It would actually be cheaper for me to buy this part and do the work myself rather than lose a day's pay to have the recall performed. But I am curious why GM feels they need to do so much more than just this CLB-like harness. Why do they feel the need for a complex "belt and suspenders" approach? What am I missing here?

Incidentally, with the help of some very smart & helpful people here, I identified the relay type needed for a homemade CLB and tried to buy one locally. No one carried them (and I do not exactly live in the outback). It would have been a special mail order purchase. Cost with shipping was $24, not $4 to $6 as some folks have suggested here on the forum. Entire matter became moot when the recall notice arrived well ahead of expectations.

Monk
Old 08-13-2004, 10:26 PM
natedog4g
Racer

when mine locked up on my 98 a4 i was still able to drive it, but olny in a strait line
Old 08-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Stock Man
Excellent post!!! Pictures even. Thank you very much!!!!

I went to the stealership this week and looked into the bypass myself. Having done a fare bit of research on this myself. Well being up here in Canada the stealership wanted $190 for the harness. Mind you if I paid $72 US and paid the exchange and taxes on it it would come out to about $114 Canadian. Still you'd think we could get a better price than that.

Man I would like to have 5 minutes with that bypass, with a meter!!! For I think it's like the military paying $5000 for a toilet. There's a $4 relay and a couple of connectors and they want to charge $72 for it.
Perhaps someone down here could send you an early Christmas present..
Old 08-13-2004, 10:54 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

GM PART # 88952427
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $114.04
OUR PRICE: $65.00
DESCRIPTION: HARNESS K

from gmpartsdirect.com
Old 08-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Grumpy
Perhaps someone down here could send you an early Christmas present..
Man wouldn't that be great!!!! Anyone out there feeling generous?????

Old 08-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Quasar21
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stock Man
Man wouldn't that be great!!!! Anyone out there feeling generous?????

I just ordered it for me. Of course, it's all about ME!
I'll send you my old CLB after I install the new one. Merry Christmas!
Old 08-14-2004, 03:02 PM
batsallover
Le Mans Master

Tried multiple CLB's on my 98 with no luck. Service column lock would appear on the DIC. I posted about it here and got so many post about installing it incorrectly. After that one column lock incident almost 3 years ago, I left it alone. I make sure to lock the column every time I exit my Vert.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Great post! I've had a CLB installed on my 97 for three years without problems but if I do have some issues I will definitely go this route.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:12 PM
TorchRedRaider
Racer

FYI,
NTSHA Column Lock Documents
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...fsDocId=04V060

Get notified of new replies

To 97-98 CLB Not Working? Then use the *GM* Column Lock Bypass

Old 08-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Quasar21
Burning Brakes

DogOneTex said....
"Note: One difference, I did not hook up the CL to CLB side, as my CL was already retracted during install of the previous CLB devices. You have three options: 1. make your own cigarette lighter to CL retraction cable. 2. hook up the GM CLB to CL side for a very short second or two, turn the ignition to On, and then unhook it once you hear the pin retract. 3. hook it up and leave it as I suspect it energizes the CL only in the extended position and once retracted, does not ever energize and extend it again."

The biggest difference I see between the Harness K and the C5Solutions type CLB is that the Harness K has the two prong connector for the CL. My Harness K arrived today, so I'll put it in this weekend and hope it resolves my problem. I'm thinking your item 3. must be the reason they have it. I'm going to do as you did and leave it unhooked. I don't want my CL to even begin to think I want it to do anything.....
Old 08-21-2004, 12:38 PM
Quasar21
Burning Brakes

OK.... You're not going to believe this. When I pulled the panel I realized I already had a Harness K installed! I also have a Column Lock Bypass installed. When the technician plugged in the Harness K, he plugged it into my Column Lock Bypass. I guess when he was under the dash, he found the connector and made an assumption that it was the connector to the original system and just connected it up. This explains why I just got a blank look when I asked him about my CLB. He said he didn't notice it. Now.... I'm going back and take my bypass out of the equation and unplug the Column Lock side of the harness and see what happens. If all works, I'll see if GMDirect will take back the unused Harness K. Amazing.......
Old 08-22-2004, 09:03 AM
Monk
Racer

Originally Posted by Quasar99
OK.... You're not going to believe this. When I pulled the panel I realized I already had a Harness K installed!
I am not surprised at all! Too funny!!!

Now.... I'm going back and take my bypass out of the equation and unplug the Column Lock side of the harness and see what happens.
Please keep us informed. I am troubled that the "Harness K" (i.e., the GM-made CLB) still left you with nuisance problems... regardless of whether or not they plugged the column lock side connector into your CLB instead of the column lock. I don't see why that should have mattered one bit. From what I'm reading here about the two pin (column lock-side) connector on the "Harness K", there is no feedback signal coming back into the "Harness K" to cause a mess-up... or is there???

This post makes me highly suspicious that the new "Harness K" might work no better than the good old aftermarket CLB without the dealer re-programing of the BCM!!! Damn!!!

If all works, I'll see if GMDirect will take back the unused Harness K. Amazing.......
If not, I'm sure you can quickly sell it here on the forum!!!

Monk

Quick Reply: 97-98 CLB Not Working? Then use the *GM* Column Lock Bypass