Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 11:44 AM
sdnet
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are we cop magnets?

Hey guys:

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee right now - I'm generally a pretty quick driver and have had pretty good luck with the cops. I'm wondering, though, if anyone here has seen any major difference in their luck with cops since purchasing a Corvette. Do you find that they are more prone to spot you, or at least more willing to pull you over, because you're driving such a fast car?
Old 08-11-2004, 11:45 AM
1g1yy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sdnet
Hey guys:

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee right now - I'm generally a pretty quick driver and have had pretty good luck with the cops. I'm wondering, though, if anyone here has seen any major difference in their luck with cops since purchasing a Corvette. Do you find that they are more prone to spot you, or at least more willing to pull you over, because you're driving such a fast car?
No!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:48 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Hey guys:

Yes & No, I think it depends on the area where you live....every Leo is different but when they see a vette they for sure know it's fast and what it's capable of.. so I would bet they do attract a little more attention I have had mind just over a year I think I am an average driver but I do notice it does turn there heads and espeically since I added the SLP exhaust
Old 08-11-2004, 11:50 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I get pulled over in my Tahoe more than I do in the Vette. Really I've never been pulled over in the Vette!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:50 AM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by 1g1yy
No!
Nope. I think they might be more prone to pull over fast cars that don't cost quite as much. A kid in a WRX or Eclipse probably doesn't have the resources to fight a ticket or be a lawyer. Do I need to put a flamesuit on?
Old 08-11-2004, 11:53 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Not so much with my C5s but when I had my 1970 Vette (in 1970-72) I regularly got 2 tickets a year (3 in IL then and you lost your license or I'd have gotten more...). In 1973 I bought a VW van and drove in the same places, same time of day, at the same speeds and got zero tickets in 3 years.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:54 AM
sdnet
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by madeouttaglass
Nope. I think they might be more prone to pull over fast cars that don't cost quite as much. A kid in a WRX or Eclipse probably doesn't have the resources to fight a ticket or be a lawyer. Do I need to put a flamesuit on?
Hmm...never thought about it that way before - I would also think that the young kid in a really stupid looking Honda or Nissan might be a little more irresponsible as well, compared to a Corvette driver who invested so much into the car.

Interesting.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Cocked and Locked
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Hey guys:

Not at all if you drive sensibly. I can drive it like I stole it, but at 53 I have learned when and where I can do that (I wish I knew that as a teen). It helps to have a good radar detector also.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:56 AM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by madeouttaglass
Not flaming but when I was out writing tickets I used to enjoy writing attorneys and rich folks that were the worst name droppers (ie "do you know chief so and so?"). I felt sorry for the kids and younger adults unless they were doing something obviously stupid.

My experience is we as a group probably drive "closer to the edge" whether it's just being stupid or hearing that roar of the aftermarket exhaust. I have yet to be stopped in over a year owning the Vette.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:57 AM
GOZ2FST
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In any car you must carefully consider where it's OK to go fast. Empty open roads - where it is safe - and you're usually OK.

Speeders in residential areas and the crazies in heavy traffic are downright dangerous to life and limb - and locally anyway, this is where there is a lof of LEO attention.

4+ years for me in the vette - no tickets.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:59 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey guys:

Sometimes, color plays a part. I would think "Arrest Me" Mag Red or Mil Yellow would get more attention than, say, pewter or blue.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Pipes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is a bear Catholic? Does the Pope **** in the woods? Of course we're cop magnets! They just can't catch us
Old 08-11-2004, 12:01 PM
mikestuff
Burning Brakes

I've only been stopped twice in the last 20 years. I have 2 Vettes, an 88 with Flowmaster exhaust and a 99 stock coupe. Both times have been in my Corvettes. The first time, I missed a turn because I was in the left lane. I stopped waiting for the right lane to clear so I could get over. The cop pulled me over and gave me a little lecture about the fact that Corvettes are meant to drive on the highway and aren't really made for town driving. WTF, "yes,officer" No ticket, on my way.

Last week, we had gone out to eat and was returning home on the interstate when I looked in my rear view and saw a trooper in the left lane pacing me. No problem, I was under the speed limit. Sure enough, he pulls behind me and hits the lights. I have tinted windows and got the following. Needed a doctor's note to have the tinted windows (MO allows 35%). He stopped me because some bad guy was out running around in a red Corvette (duh, you think?) and they were looking for him. He ran my personalized plates and they weren't on file. (I've had them for about 12 years). Again, no ticket, on my way.

So, in short, yes, Vettes are cop magnets, but it seems just for the jerky ones. I've driven the same Vette around my home town for over a year with the same tinted windows, and met thousands of locals and state troopers without so much as a glance.

Last edited by mikestuff; 08-11-2004 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Add Info
Old 08-11-2004, 12:06 PM
DickieC.99
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes...from cops, other drivers and pedestrains!! I'm not saying I havn't deservied it on occasion, and I have paid for it, but I have also been pulled over only to hear the first words out of the cops mouth be, "you look a little young for this car," (I'm 22) just to be let go since I was doing NOTHING wrong. I've even had a pedestrain run in front of me in the street yelling becuase I was driving sooo recklessly even though my HUD said exactly 25mph...... IMO, the car just looks like it is hauling butt. Everything has a cost and this is just another small price to pay for a piece of heaven

Last edited by DickieC.99; 08-11-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Sometimes, color plays a part. I would think "Arrest Me" Mag Red or Mil Yellow would get more attention than, say, pewter or blue.

I have the Mil Yellow and about 3 days into having it a Leo was looking at it as I parked in my commutor parking spot and noticed the lack of inspection sticker and no front plate. He came over asked for documentation and when I showed him he looked around the car and then left. I am sure he just wanted to see the car and really was not looking to give me a ticket.

This converstaion comes up a lot on here and I think no matter what if you are nice, up front and honest with the Leo he will cut you a break or let you go. That is under the assumption you are not going 70 in a 30 or something that is just too far out of the norm for him to do any thing about.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:10 PM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Default tickets

Eric, You're right on the money. First thing my police friends ask me ... How fast have you gone, or lets go out early Sunday and put it on the gun. They all know what the Corvette can do. Save the Wave..George
Old 08-11-2004, 12:46 PM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

My earlier post was going from experiences of a quarter century ago. Back then I was in my teens, had long hair, flame paint job, snorkel scoop or tunnel ram W/O a hood, and a V8 Pinto I did drive responsibly, but I got pulled over ALL the time for "checks". Now granted, I'm in another town with different police, but I'm in my 40s, have little hair, a stock paint job (But it is MY) no obvious add ons, and the car isn't a Pinto. I have never been pulled over in it and I've been waved through 2 road checks without a front plate. I do think kids in general get much more grief than Vette drivers in general. We are all being "profiled", and us balding old farts are not really the ones the police worry about.

Get notified of new replies

To Are we cop magnets?

Old 08-11-2004, 12:55 PM
liv2ryd
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
...when I had my 1970 Vette (in 1970-72) I regularly got 2 tickets a year (3 in IL then and you lost your license or I'd have gotten more...). In 1973 I bought a VW van and drove in the same places, same time of day, at the same speeds and got zero tickets in 3 years.
Either that was one very sorry C3 or one incredibly powerful VW van if you drove it at the same speeds where you got tickets in the Vette
Old 08-11-2004, 12:58 PM
MyOwn69
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pipes
Is a bear Catholic? Does the Pope **** in the woods? Of course we're cop magnets! They just can't catch us
Ah, Pipes, I think you got that bass-ackwards!!
Old 08-11-2004, 01:27 PM
jawski
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Or Arctic White..

Quick Reply: Are we cop magnets?