Sponsored by:

Poor Sounding Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 07:41 PM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Poor Sounding Stereo

The Stereo in my 99 sounds pretty bad, its the standard Bose system. I noticed the rear speakers sound like all the highs are cut off. I put in new speakers that sound a little better but not much. The Bose system in my 95 sounded fantastic.

Did anyone have this problem? Is there a crossover in the system that kills the highs from going to the back?
Old 08-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Zippy The Wonderdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been tempted to replace my rear speakers as well. What did you replace them with? Do you feel it was worth it?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:25 PM
C3 RV
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

I've resigned myself to lousy stereo sound in my vette. The runflats drown it out and the stingers make their own music.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:35 PM
C5 KIDD
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

trust me 100% on this one... all you need to do is add 1 10" sub!!! the stock system really isnt all that bad for highs, and you can turn it up pretty loud... but it is really missing mid/bass. dont waste the time/money to replace the rear speakers! with the 1 sub you will get all you need, and i get PLENTY of sound from the rear of the car now. but it doesnt overpower the highs coming from the front.

i spent about $300 and added a JL 10 sub, and an amp to power it... and believe me, you will NEVER complain about things again!!! it works out real well, even with the windows down and top off, the music is loud, clear, and actually hits pretty hard!!

i bought the sub and amp off ebay for about $100 each, (sub new... amp used) then built my own box. so with materials and everything cost about $300. DEF. worth it! you will never regret it!

Last edited by silver6spd C5; 08-10-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:58 PM
JeffC5
Melting Slicks

Location: Edmond, OK...One of the first rules of online forums: If you don't like what is said but can't refute it, attack the poster.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the same way about the rear speakers. I took them out last Sunday to make sure they were hooked -up properly, + to + and - to -. They were wired properly. So, I bought some new rear speakers and installed them. The sound was the same, crappy. Soooo, I took them out and put the stock ones back in. For those of you wanting to change the rear speakers, they are 6.5, but 6.75 will fit nicely. That's what I tried...6.75 4 way speakers. Also, you don't have to cut the factory speaker wiring harness off. There's a little gray clip in the harness that you take out. Then stick a very small screwdriver in the harness and you can pull out the metal clips. Then wire the new speaker to the factory wires. Save the plastic harness ends and you can reuse them if you ever want to go back to factory. The passenger side factory wires: light blue is -, dark blue is +. Driver side: yellow is -, and brown is +. Like I said tho, it didn't make any difference at all. Very dissapointing, especially for all that work. It wasn't that hard, but contorting my body behind the front seats and staying bent over for that long almost killed me. lol
Jeff
Old 08-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

My understanding from a friend who owns his own stereo store, is the stock speakers have their own amps. Replacing the speakers won't do much. He said I'd need to replace the head unit and speakers to do much good. (He said he had a shirt that read "No high and no lows? Must be a Bose!") I have a 1998 Monte Carlo that has a better sounding stereo than the one in my 2000 coupe.
I know there are others here more versed on this then I am, so if I'm mistaken, please chime in.
As stated earlier in this thread, my biggest problem was the lack of bass. I added a 10" sub and amp and it is remarkably better sounding. Actually I got so much more bass I've had to turn it down a bit.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Rob'sC5
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05

KV397 is correct. Each speaker has its own amp. The problem with changing speakers is that the head unit and speakers are designed around each other. I was going just to install the sub with a mono amp. Tried it and didnt care for the sound. I then had the entire sytem replaced with 600watts of pure listening enjoyment. My favorite CDS sound so different to what I was use to. I dont have to hear tire whine when I dont want it. I also have enough power to all but drown out the music from my header system and borlas
Old 08-11-2004, 07:02 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zippy The Wonderdog
I have been tempted to replace my rear speakers as well. What did you replace them with? Do you feel it was worth it?
I bought a pair of Infinity 6.5 inch 2 way speakers. They sound very crisp and clear out of the car, but plugged into the car they sound flat and dull. They were only $80. Took only 30 minutes to replace both.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:12 AM
HHC5
Melting Slicks

Bose has successfully marketed barely average stereo components (especially their speakers).
Old 08-11-2004, 09:07 AM
93aqua
Drifting

Originally Posted by warren s
The Stereo in my 99 sounds pretty bad, its the standard Bose system. I noticed the rear speakers sound like all the highs are cut off. I put in new speakers that sound a little better but not much. The Bose system in my 95 sounded fantastic.

Did anyone have this problem? Is there a crossover in the system that kills the highs from going to the back?

I have the same thing, sounds great in the 93 my 99 sounds awful. the front speaker rattles all the time.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:19 AM
mike herhold
Burning Brakes

I replaced the entire Bose system, put in an Alpine head unit with Kikker speakers and a 10" woofer and a 550 watt amp, the sound is fantisic and very clear, great highs and a thunder base.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:51 PM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

The slock BOSE system is not worth listening to. I just listen to the exhaust note.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:59 PM
C5 KIDD
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

i can never really figure out why everyone downs the stock bose systems so much?!?! i mean c'mon... how many of you guys need competition stereos in your car?? i had a 95 Z28 with the stock bose system that sounded better than what most cars come with stock even today!! between my father and i we have had 5 (3 Z28's, 2 C5's) all with the stock bose, and i really cant complain. i dont know many stock stereos that you can turn up that high with out distorting and sounding like a**.

sure the vette bose system is nothing to brag about! but it really isnt that bad. if you guys were able to hear my stock bose, with 1 sub, you would all really change your mind!!

so whats everyone got against the bose?!?! (besides the front rear speaker grills always rattle ?!?!)
Old 08-11-2004, 12:59 PM
stingray4me
Burning Brakes

My in my 99 vert sounds better than my 93 did. & the speaker ratteled in the front on the 93. It does make a difference in radio channel too. the rap channels have more bass than the classic rock or oldies. I love to listen to the pink floyd wish you were here cd.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:03 PM
DTV
Racer

I notice something two weeks ago, I put in sound deading (home depot stuff) in the Vette.
I was trying to get road noise out. After two days driving aroind without the radio on looking for road noise. I turn the radio on, where did the bass come from and now I hear sound out of the rears speakers not much but I can hear them. I can now live with the radio and Bose system now.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:44 PM
CarsRFun
Drifting

mine give me headaches! I really dont like it that much after about 30mins of driving with the radio on my head feels like
Old 08-11-2004, 09:52 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default The Bose Way

Each speaker is amplified in a Bose Car System. Therefore the resistance going from the deck to the speakers is 1 ohm. If you attempt to replace just speakers or the deck you will have a (new) deck which will easily clip because of the low resistance or a (new)speaker trying to work off a deck designed to send a very low level signal.......to get any marked improvement you would have to:

a. Buy an adapter (which they make) which would allow you to use
a new deck

b. Replace the whole setup

c. Roll your windows down and listen to a more "acoustic" concert from your exhaust

Get notified of new replies

To Poor Sounding Stereo

Old 08-11-2004, 09:54 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

It SUCKS! End of story.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:22 PM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dbirdhouse1
Each speaker is amplified in a Bose Car System. Therefore the resistance going from the deck to the speakers is 1 ohm. If you attempt to replace just speakers or the deck you will have a (new) deck which will easily clip because of the low resistance or a (new)speaker trying to work off a deck designed to send a very low level signal.......to get any marked improvement you would have to:

a. Buy an adapter (which they make) which would allow you to use
a new deck

b. Replace the whole setup

c. Roll your windows down and listen to a more "acoustic" concert from your exhaust
I replaced the stock Bose speakers with Infinity dual cone 6.5 inch speakers. They sound better but not by much. The stock speakers were standard Bose 4 ohm speakers.(As printed on the speaker itself) I dont get any clipping or distortion with the replacements. The problem is that the highs are cut off totally and the mid range is muted. Its as if the amp is only sending lows to the rear speakers.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:04 AM
PolishMafia
Intermediate

If Bose would put as much money into their equipment as their marketing, then I bet the system wouldn't suck so bad.

I replaced everything. Once you see just how truly terrible the stock units are, you'll wonder how GM got suckered into putting that crap into such a good car.

If you don't want to replace everything, then try not to turn the radio on.

Quick Reply: Poor Sounding Stereo