Poor Sounding Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 12:20 AM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffC5
That's what I tried...6.75 4 way speakers. Jeff
6 and three quarter inch FOUR ways!!! Ouch those must really be shreiky. Is there any room for the mid sound to come out from behind the onslaught of tweeters???

Best bet, spend a little money, get a head, nice set of front speakers and if you like a little bass, a small sub in the rear. Then you can jam out!!
Old 08-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Yibbutkeen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually it is not the Bose speakers - it is the Delco head unit that needs to be replaced. I couldn't believe the difference in my 87 when I swapped out the POS delco head for a sony. I got even better than than when I did the speakers, but its the head unit.

I dunno if the C5 has an adapter like the C4 did that you could use to power the bose speakers with an aftermarket head. If there is I would strongly bet that the sound would perk up immensely.

Whoever at GM is protecting the Delco radio division, they need to be fired for cause immediately. That division needs to be shut down immediately.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:04 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,003 Likes on 5,370 Posts

The Bose in the C4s had 4 amplified speakers and in my opinion sounded quite good. In the C5 the front speakers (doors) are amplified while the rears are not amplified. The front speakers have the woofer for low frequency and high efficiency 3.5 inch Twiddler for mid and high frequencies while the rears are 6.5 inch Twiddlers for mid & high frequencies. The 100 watt amplifier in each door drives the woofers and the radio amplifier equalizes and drives all the other speakers in front and rear. I have no problem with the high frequencies coming out of my system. Although I have had some hearing loss over the years my high frequency hearing is still quite good compared to a lot of other people.
Bill
Old 08-12-2004, 02:15 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The Bose in the C4s had 4 amplified speakers and in my opinion sounded quite good. In the C5 the front speakers (doors) are amplified while the rears are not amplified. The front speakers have the woofer for low frequency and high efficiency 3.5 inch Twiddler for mid and high frequencies while the rears are 6.5 inch Twiddlers for mid & high frequencies. The 100 watt amplifier in each door drives the woofers and the radio amplifier equalizes and drives all the other speakers in front and rear. I have no problem with the high frequencies coming out of my system. Although I have had some hearing loss over the years my high frequency hearing is still quite good compared to a lot of other people.
Bill
Is there a way to tap the sub amp in the stock system to power a sub? I already have an aftermarket sub I used to have in my C4, which is why I ask. It sure would be nice to tap into an existing sub signal without having to add any other equipment. It would be even nicer if I could just tap that signal (if possible) from a connector under the dash, which makes it easier than removing the door panel and running wires from there to the back of the car.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:17 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DTV
I notice something two weeks ago, I put in sound deading (home depot stuff) in the Vette.
I was trying to get road noise out. After two days driving aroind without the radio on looking for road noise. I turn the radio on, where did the bass come from and now I hear sound out of the rears speakers not much but I can hear them. I can now live with the radio and Bose system now.
What kind of stuff did you use, and where did you install it? I ask because I know that in 2001, GM starting using more insulation already. Also, what did you do to install it? For example, did you remove all the trim, then remove all the carpet, etc.?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:25 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by silver6spd C5
trust me 100% on this one... all you need to do is add 1 10" sub!!! the stock system really isnt all that bad for highs, and you can turn it up pretty loud... but it is really missing mid/bass. dont waste the time/money to replace the rear speakers! with the 1 sub you will get all you need, and i get PLENTY of sound from the rear of the car now. but it doesnt overpower the highs coming from the front.
Could you please share how you installed the amp? I'm interested in doing the same thing, because I noticed the same things you mentioned about the stock system. For example, with the engine off, I can hear the bass well, and the system does have adequate power to get it sounding good at a high volume without distortion, but at high volume you the mids and highs drown out the bass. So, I'd like to know:

1) Did you tap into a rear signal with a hi-lo adapter? If not, where did you get your signal for the sub amp?

2) How did you power the sub amp? I'm not all that up on how that part goes. I mean, do you have to power it separately? For example, if you're driving with the stereo off, is the amp still on?

3) Where did you mount the amp, and how did you run the wiring?

4) How long did this take you?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:26 AM
JeffC5
Melting Slicks

Location: Edmond, OK...One of the first rules of online forums: If you don't like what is said but can't refute it, attack the poster.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if there's a way to put another set of the bose amplified front speakers in the rear? Would they fit? If the rear sounded as good as the front, the stereo would be fine.
Jeff
Old 08-12-2004, 09:42 AM
dfutrell
Intermediate

so whats everyone got against the bose?!?! (besides the front rear speaker grills always rattle ?!?!)
I've had Bose systems in a 1998 Mercedes ML320, a 2001 Miata, A 2003 Acura MDX, and now my 2004 Corvette. I will say one thing in their defense...they're consistent. They've ALL sucked! You could assemble a better sounding system from the components available at Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, the Bose systems are a pain to replace, especially with the weird head unit in a Vette. Last time I checked, Crutchfield didn't have anything you could drop in without at least a minor hassle.

I honestly can't figure out why manufacturer's continue to put this crap in high-end cars...the Bose marketing machine is either spectacular or most owners simply don't know how a decent stereo is supposed to sound.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

sure the vette bose system is nothing to brag about! but it really isnt that bad. if you guys were able to hear my stock bose, with 1 sub, you would all really change your mind!!

so whats everyone got against the bose?!?!
1) About 1/4 of my burned CD's won't play properly
2) The deck won't play MP3's
3) The 8" speakers are too large to be putting in the doors, so if you turn up the bass the doors/windows rattle
4) What rear speakers?
5) The radio reception is horrible
6) They use a proprietary amp on speaker design so you can't upgrade the speaker or the amplifiers without replacing deck, speaker, amp and wiring
7) It has that classic "this is also used in the Cavalier" look to it
8) The $299 premium sound system in my Dodge Dakota will embarrass it badly
9) There are no steering wheel controls
10) The auto shifter sits firmly in front of the controls (not Bose fault)
11) 1.5 DIN limits your upgrade possibilities
Old 08-12-2004, 11:32 AM
vettatude
Racer

I agree with the comment about the head unit. I just put in my kenwood MP3, and reused all the Bose speakers. I simply unplugged the speaker leads from the Bose amps to the woofers and used my two channel 200 watt amp to drive the Bose woofers in the doors. I am driving the twiddlers and rears right off the kenwood deck. You wouldn't believe the sound the woofers put out with an aftermarket amp. It was an extremely easy install.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:58 AM
C5 KIDD
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Could you please share how you installed the amp? I'm interested in doing the same thing, because I noticed the same things you mentioned about the stock system. For example, with the engine off, I can hear the bass well, and the system does have adequate power to get it sounding good at a high volume without distortion, but at high volume you the mids and highs drown out the bass. So, I'd like to know:

1) Did you tap into a rear signal with a hi-lo adapter? If not, where did you get your signal for the sub amp?

2) How did you power the sub amp? I'm not all that up on how that part goes. I mean, do you have to power it separately? For example, if you're driving with the stereo off, is the amp still on?

3) Where did you mount the amp, and how did you run the wiring?

4) How long did this take you?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

id be glad to do a simple write up explaining the basics of the install!! im off to work now so i will type it up later tonight when im home!!
Old 08-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettatude
I agree with the comment about the head unit. I just put in my kenwood MP3, and reused all the Bose speakers. I simply unplugged the speaker leads from the Bose amps to the woofers and used my two channel 200 watt amp to drive the Bose woofers in the doors. I am driving the twiddlers and rears right off the kenwood deck. You wouldn't believe the sound the woofers put out with an aftermarket amp. It was an extremely easy install.
I had a few questions with your setup ...

You are driving the pre-amp inputs on your front speakers with the amplified output from your 200 watt amp?

I believe the Bose speakers have a 2 ohm impedance. External amps can handle that sometimes but how'd you get your deck to handle that without the risk of blowing it's internal amp?
Old 08-12-2004, 12:36 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

id be glad to do a simple write up explaining the basics of the install!! im off to work now so i will type it up later tonight when im home!!
OK, thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:40 PM
vettatude
Racer

Originally Posted by Black04Vert
I had a few questions with your setup ...

You are driving the pre-amp inputs on your front speakers with the amplified output from your 200 watt amp?

I believe the Bose speakers have a 2 ohm impedance. External amps can handle that sometimes but how'd you get your deck to handle that without the risk of blowing it's internal amp?
I am driving the large woofers in the door directly from the external amp. Yeah, they are 2ohm and my amp is 2ohm stable. If you look at the door speakers you'll see that you can simply disconnect the leads to the woofers and plug in your own speaker cable. I just fished some speaker cable into the doors. I am driving the rear and front twiddlers directly from my HU using a generic GM wiring harness. The system is working fine at this point. If I blow the internal amp in the HU I'll either get a new unit or another amp and drive the remaining speakers.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:30 PM
Black04Vert
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettatude
I am driving the large woofers in the door directly from the external amp. Yeah, they are 2ohm and my amp is 2ohm stable. If you look at the door speakers you'll see that you can simply disconnect the leads to the woofers and plug in your own speaker cable. I just fished some speaker cable into the doors. I am driving the rear and front twiddlers directly from my HU using a generic GM wiring harness. The system is working fine at this point. If I blow the internal amp in the HU I'll either get a new unit or another amp and drive the remaining speakers.
I wasn't aware that you could disconnect the front speakers from their amp. Sounds like the route you chose is a good intermediate alternative without having to replace everything.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:16 PM
SteveL4446
Pro

Bose Blowz...
If you want to change speakers check this link.
http://www.tune-town.com/Cars/stuff/pac_oem1.htm
Old 08-12-2004, 11:08 PM
C5 KIDD
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

ADDING A SUB TO YOUR STOCK BOSE STEREO (great sound without having to change your stock speakers!! )

*this setup sounds great but is NOT for people looking for a competition setup! although it doest hit pretty hard! *

for those of you interested in upgrading your stock stereo, here is a brief write up about adding 1 sub/mono amp.

basically a rundown of what i needed for the setup:

- stock bose system!
- 10" sub (i chose JL) $100 new
- sub box (made my own) $30 in materials
- mono amp (i chose JBL 600wattsX1) $100 used
- amp wiring kit $70
- high/low converter $30

the install was fairly simple. its a basic setup, without going into too much detail here is what had to be done.....

1.) start by removing factory radio, and also the center counsil. i ran all the wires from the head unit right underneath the center counsil, then under the drivers seat, then right up the the amp.

2.) amp kit had to be set up. so start by running the power wire (fuse) through the firewall to the battery and hook up.

3.) with the factory radio out, now you can start connecting your wires. i started by hooking up the high/low converter.

installing the high/low converter:

- the converter was basically a small box, and had 6 terminals if i remember correctly. left speaker (+,-), right speaker (+,-), power, and ground

- looking at the harness in the back of the radio, you will see the speaker wires, and power and ground. run power to power, ground to ground, then the +'s to the left and right speaker wires, then the -'s to the ground wire.

- thats it for the converter, if you are sitting in the passenger seat and you look over to the counsil right where the plastic meets the carpet, you can actually put the converter in that spot under the carpet, there is tons of space!!

installing rest of amp kit:

- basically all thats left is to run the rest of the wires. you need to run a remote wire to the back of the head unit to the accesories that way the amp will turn off when the key is shut off, and doors are opened.

- next you have to run a ground wire for the amp. i used the big bolt holding the seat down on the drivers side. was simple enough, and it does the job!

- the rca's you are going to run from the amp, directly to the high/low converter.

- dont forget the power (fuse) wire has to go to the amp also!

- then all you have to do is run some speaker wire from the amp, directly to the sub box

YOU ARE DONE!

my install isnt really the cleanest, i have yet to actually pull the carpet in the back and mount the amp, and run the wires so you cant see them. right now i just have the amp behind the drivers seat, all the wires run from under/behind the seat then right up to the amp, so you dont really see wire everywhere.

now i built the box myself, so i saved some money. it took me and a buddy about 4 hours to build the box. but we managed to build the box, and install the whole system in only 1 night. it really isnt that bad. and for the $$ i spent, and time installing... it was SOOOO worth it!! it sounds GREATTT!!!

now its late, and i havent even re-read what i wrote. so im sure im leaving things out, and probably wasnt specific enough in some things. but like i said thats basically the idea.

feel free to ask any questions, and hopefully i can help you out!! thanks for reading!!!

Last edited by silver6spd C5; 08-12-2004 at 11:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Poor Sounding Stereo

Old 08-13-2004, 03:03 AM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the info!

I just found out Pac-Audio makes a harness connector that gives you the amp trigger and right and left outs. It supposedly plugs somewhere between the stock connectors of the head unit before the BOSE processor. I was thinking that that might save some headache, but if you have to pull the center console and stereo to get it installed, then I guess it doesn't save any time, but makes a cleaner wiring job. I was kind of hoping there were wires coming out of the stock radio with a connector down the line that I might be able to access from under the dash on the driver's side since I need to take the lower part of the dash down to install a CLB anyway. That way I wouldn't have to pull the center console and radio. What do you think? Did you see any connectors a distance a way from the radio head, that I can reach from the driver's footwell or is the connector right on the back of the unit? Take a look at this part: Pac-Audio.com. You can buy it from Jim at Logjam Electronics.

I also understand tjhat if I get the right kind of amp, I might not have to use a hi-lo converter. For example, the Kicker (and others) Class D amps have standard speaker inputs (as well as a low level input) which I think means I can run from the radio speaker outs to the regular speaker inputs on the amp, which would filter out the highs and mids and pass only the lows to the subwoofer, right?
Old 08-13-2004, 09:32 AM
C5 KIDD
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

MrLeadFoot: to my knowledge there really is no other place to hook up the converter. although the only other option you have is to tap off the rear 2 speaker. but i was advised against that becuase they say its a bad signal, and that you will end up with road noise. they said the closer i get to the head unit the better.

honestly, taking the counsil off is CAKE!! it literally takes maybe 5 minutes max!! there are 2 screws that hold that whole plastic piece that covers the radio/air controls. then it pops off. just 4 bolts in the center counsil, then everything is off. really not bad. and thinking about it, running the wires under there is almost perfect. otherwise you would have to take up the side moldings and carpet and run the wires.

now im not really into the whole car audio thing, so im not sure about the amp and not needing a converter. ive heard that is possible also, but then i hear 95% of the time that you need a converter! so i used one, and it worked, so thats all i have to go by.

picking an amp/sub can be a hard choice, but if i may suggest you look towards the JL sub and the JBL amp. DEF. a great pair. the JL sub is highly recommended for small enclosures, and the JBL amp has PLENTY of power for the single sub. you can spend TONS of money on sub/amp but i got good deals off ebay, and ive had no problems!!
Old 08-13-2004, 02:11 PM
MrLeadFoot
Melting Slicks

MrLeadFoot: to my knowledge there really is no other place to hook up the converter. although the only other option you have is to tap off the rear 2 speaker. but i was advised against that becuase they say its a bad signal,

Yes, I was told that if you tap the rear signal at the speakers, you're actually tapping a signal that's already been toned down by the BOSE signal processor, since those rears are meant to be fillers that are designed specifically to add accoustic ambience based on the accoustic capacity of the rear compartment.

and that you will end up with road noise. they said the closer i get to the head unit the better.

honestly, taking the counsil off is CAKE!! it literally takes maybe 5 minutes max!! there are 2 screws that hold that whole plastic piece that covers the radio/air controls. then it pops off. just 4 bolts in the center counsil, then everything is off. really not bad.

Which do you take off first? Do you remember? And I thought I heard you have to do alot of tugging and pulling. Is that not right?

and thinking about it, running the wires under there is almost perfect. otherwise you would have to take up the side moldings and carpet and run the wires.

Sounds like a good idea.

now im not really into the whole car audio thing,

Neither am I, really. All I know is that I miss my bass from my C4, in which I had the subwoofer I have now. I know the Bose system will sound good, just like you said it does once it has the lows complimenting it.

so im not sure about the amp and not needing a converter. ive heard that is possible also, but then i hear 95% of the time that you need a converter! so i used one, and it worked, so thats all i have to go by.

As long as the amp is designed for a subwoofer, and has a built-in converter and crossover, it should work fine. I guess I'll find out soon.

picking an amp/sub can be a hard choice, but if i may suggest you look towards the JL sub and the JBL amp. DEF. a great pair. the JL sub is highly recommended for small enclosures, and the JBL amp has PLENTY of power for the single sub. you can spend TONS of money on sub/amp but i got good deals off ebay, and ive had no problems!!

Yes, the choices are many. I am looking at the JBLs, Alpine, Sony Kenwood and the Kicker amps. I'm leaning toward the Kicker KX series because it has nice protection features and is small. I can't figure out where to mount it. I don't want to permanently attach it to the compartment walls, and I think an amp will get too hot in one of the compartments. Behind the seat sounds good, as long as the seat doesn't go too far back. That's where I mounted mine in my C4, but it was a pain because if I took it in to a shop like a tire shop, the people would ALWAYS push the seat all the way back, even if I put a note in the middle of the steering wheel alerting them to the amp!

I already have a Kicker subwoofer. It's only an 8", but it's one of the older models they made that is in a ported enclosure that's long and thin, so it doesn't take up much room. Very nice for a vette, in that it's port design provides VERY nice sound by using the rear compartment's accoustics. It's also easily movable and removable, yet still sounds GOOD for only an 8". I'm a musician so I like music to be balanced, not like the folks that like to hear all bass and no mids, you know what I mean?

You know what else is interesting? All the stereo vendors and shops I've talked to agree that the stock BOSE sounds awesome with just the addition of a sub-system. And, to me, that re-confirms your findings and my thoughts, because they stand to make much more money by selling me an ENTIRE system, youknowwhat I mean?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Poor Sounding Stereo