Sponsored by:

definititive glass top spiderwebbing or crazing POLL

Old 08-09-2004, 10:58 AM
bagwell
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default definititive glass top spiderwebbing or crazing POLL

please check the appropriate box!

trying to find out more about spiderwebbing/crazing of these LEXON tops.

I'm mainly concerned about the spiderweebing/crazing but will gladly read replies about delamination, etc....

Please also reply about if your top gets a lot of sun exposure or not.

Last edited by bagwell; 08-09-2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:20 PM
bagwell
Drifting

ttt
Old 08-09-2004, 02:50 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

FWIW my 99 has the spider webbing but then again it was my primary top for better than 4 years....until just before last CI my paint to match was on maybe 30 days total...now it has been on since 3rd week in May
Old 08-09-2004, 04:59 PM
C6 NOIR
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'07-'08-'09

my 98 had the spider webbing and that damn 4 inch wide delimination stripe on the passenger side after lots of Houston sun exposure....the latter is an issue that i have with GM (IT'S IMPOSSIBLE for them not to know about it and correct the problem)....as we're limited to a single vote, didn't post re: the 03,but then again it stays in storage in the dark most of the time
Old 08-09-2004, 06:13 PM
NOT-MEE
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

my top has the wonderful racing stripe on passenger side if you have any luck with gm replacing under corrosion warranty let me know
Old 08-09-2004, 06:29 PM
GTC
Safety Car

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

'03 with no crazing yet. I put on the painted top for the hottest 3 or 4 months, June-Sept, and have the lexan top on the rest of the year. It is garaged at home, and out in the sun when I am at work or travelling.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Jeff Jeff
Burning Brakes

'98 in Dallas. It gets the hot Texas sun, but is mostly parked in a garage or under covered parking. I have the spider webbing and the peeling on the passenger side. Tried to get it fixed under warranty and extended warranty with no luck.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:57 AM
bagwell
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeff Jeff
'98 in Dallas. It gets the hot Texas sun, but is mostly parked in a garage or under covered parking. I have the spider webbing and the peeling on the passenger side. Tried to get it fixed under warranty and extended warranty with no luck.
why with no luck? did they think that's normal wear and tear?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:00 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Mine has been painted body color and it is my only top!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:03 AM
Hiteck
Racer

THe only part of my car that doesn't look good. Exterior clear coat is starting to wear and spiderweb or crazing when you look up from interior.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Coyote
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 104 Posts

Have two tops for my '99. I keep the solid top on the vette, most of the time. The glass top is stored in my house, in an A/C environment, WITH a protective storage cover on it... and, it is webbing. Bummer. (btw, I am in Houston, and it does get rather HOT at times.. though I never use it during the summers. Summer time I run with the solid top)
Old 08-10-2004, 09:35 AM
nwdanner
Burning Brakes

I'm currently in debate with GM Customer Assistance trying to get my '02's top replaced under warranty for "Acrylic Crazing".

Updates to come...
Old 08-10-2004, 10:02 AM
C6 NOIR
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by bagwell
why with no luck? did they think that's normal wear and tear?
that's exactly my beef with GM and bill-hurtzme in Houston....as mentioned above with the 98...first noted that stripe on the passenger side when picking the car up after service...argued to no avail that they'd done it in the service bay or had actually changed out the top for one in poor condition as it wasn't that way when i dropped the car off....never did get the matter resolved
Old 08-10-2004, 10:16 AM
1g1yy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by huevos03
that's exactly my beef with GM and bill-hurtzme in Houston....as mentioned above with the 98...first noted that stripe on the passenger side when picking the car up after service...argued to no avail that they'd done it in the service bay or had actually changed out the top for one in poor condition as it wasn't that way when i dropped the car off....never did get the matter resolved
Hey! There's your solution! Reverse it on them. Leave your Vette at home, and take another car to the dealer with your wife to test drive a Vette with a good top. Run home and exchange tops!

Honestly, I would have no compunction about doing this if GM had not replaced mine under warrantee for crazing.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:43 PM
NOT-MEE
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Just called gm customer care they are trying to get ahold of my local dealer to get their response is this a normal procedure .or are they actually going to do something about this stripe on my top.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Villain C5
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

All this talk is getting me scared. Every used Vette I looked at had the Roof Stripe problem but mine. I only have a glass top, but 90% of the time the car is either covered or in the shade. Is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening to me? I put UV protectant wax on it about 2 weeks ago..is that safe or did I just screw myself?
Old 08-10-2004, 03:28 PM
nwdanner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NOT-MEE
Just called gm customer care they are trying to get ahold of my local dealer to get their response is this a normal procedure .or are they actually going to do something about this stripe on my top.
Yep, unfortunately this has been the norm for me. In my case, they've taken the side of the first dealership and thereafter they reconsidered and told me to get a 2nd opinion from another dealership - which I have, and which they are "in contact" with trying to get this resolved. So far, it's been extremely frustrating. I'm now starting to think that they subscribe to that "ignore and jostle the customer long enough and they'll probably just go away" type of customer service. I'm might be niave in this, but I'm hopeful that they'll agree to cover it under warranty.

This Vette is the nicest GM vehicle I've owned (1 of 6). But the thing that disturbs me is the irony that it's their flag-ship (and one of their most expensive) vehicle yet most service personnel appear to enjoy denying warranty claims on the vehicle and watching the owner's reaction. Then when you question it they simply hand you a card with a GM Customer Assistance phone number and send you on your way. In all my previous GM vehicles I've NEVER had anywhere near this difficulty when exercising warranty claims on past (and way cheaper) GM vehicles.

This crazing problem only occurs on "Lexan" acrylic tops. If you top is an actual "glass" top then you need not worry about this issue.

Get notified of new replies

To definititive glass top spiderwebbing or crazing POLL

Old 08-10-2004, 03:46 PM
1g1yy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nwdanner
Yep, unfortunately this has been the norm for me. In my case, they've taken the side of the first dealership and thereafter they reconsidered and told me to get a 2nd opinion from another dealership - which I have, and which they are "in contact" with trying to get this resolved. So far, it's been extremely frustrating. I'm now starting to think that they subscribe to that "ignore and jostle the customer long enough and they'll probably just go away" type of customer service. I'm might be niave in this, but I'm hopeful that they'll agree to cover it under warranty.

This Vette is the nicest GM vehicle I've owned (1 of 6). But the thing that disturbs me is the irony that it's their flag-ship (and one of their most expensive) vehicle yet most service personnel appear to enjoy denying warranty claims on the vehicle and watching the owner's reaction. Then when you question it they simply hand you a card with a GM Customer Assistance phone number and send you on your way. In all my previous GM vehicles I've NEVER had anywhere near this difficulty when exercising warranty claims on past (and way cheaper) GM vehicles.

This crazing problem only occurs on "Lexan" acrylic tops. If you top is an actual "glass" top then you need not worry about this issue.

There are no glass tops, they are all Lexan.

And no one has ever said that being in the sun could cause crazing.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 123 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by 1g1yy
There are no glass tops, they are all Lexan.

But if the sun does cause it I guess GM will say we whould only drive at night

Has anyone placed extra tint on thier roof?
Old 08-10-2004, 04:38 PM
bagwell
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1g1yy
you mean in the owner's manual ?

but that IS the main cause right???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: definititive glass top spiderwebbing or crazing POLL