Sponsored by:

[Z06] Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Dawn Z
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment

I do alot of my driving up in the country. Some roads get pretty dusty. What do you guys use to keep the engine and compartment clean ? I dread washing it down with all the electrical components fearing damage. Any advice ? I am a fanatic about a clean car !! Thanks again Dawn

[Modified by Dawn Z, 12:36 AM 6/29/2004]

[Modified by Dawn Z, 12:37 AM 6/29/2004]
Old 06-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment (Dawn Z)

Some do, but I will not spray my engine with water. Doesn't make sense to me to soak electrical connections and components. If the engine is dirty, take the time to clean it good by hand. I use a variety of rags and brushes to get where my hands won't go. Once it's good and clean, just wipe it down every time you wash your car to keep it looking good.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:53 PM
stingray454
Drifting

Simple green and a bunch of rags works pretty well to clean the grime and dust off. The use some Zaino tire gloss diluted with water in a spray bottle to detail the plastic and vinyl pieces after its clean, and wipe with a clean rag - gives it a nice clean new look.

I find its easier to periodically wipe down the engine compartment with a rag and dust it - I'll do this about once a month. It doesn't take long, and it keeps the dirt and grime from building up.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,972 Likes on 5,354 Posts

Default Re: Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment (stingray454)

I wait until the engine cools and then using a spray bottle with a half/half mixture of Simple Green and water I completely soak the engine compartment. I do this from both sides of the car to make sure I get in all of the tight spots. After letting it sit for a couple minutes I use a hose to clean off all of the simple green. Once the soap is gone I start the car and let it run for a while to boil off the water. Once the water is mostly gone I use a towel with Armorall on it to wipe down the engine compartment. However, I make sure I do not get too close to the air cleaner with the towel since the silicone in the ArmorAll could get sucked through the engine and ruin an O2 sensor.
Bill
Old 06-28-2004, 09:49 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I use a damp towel sprayed with some Simple Green and just wipe it down. I'm not about to spray water in the engine bay. Too many electrical connections.

Tom
Old 06-28-2004, 09:59 PM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment (Bill Dearborn)

I wait until the engine cools and then using a spray bottle with a half/half mixture of Simple Green and water I completely soak the engine compartment. I do this from both sides of the car to make sure I get in all of the tight spots. After letting it sit for a couple minutes I use a hose to clean off all of the simple green. Once the soap is gone I start the car and let it run for a while to boil off the water. Once the water is mostly gone I use a towel with Armorall on it to wipe down the engine compartment. However, I make sure I do not get too close to the air cleaner with the towel since the silicone in the ArmorAll could get sucked through the engine and ruin an O2 sensor.
Bill
yep, did the same thing when my engine compartment was stock, worked really well. for quick clean-ups I like to use windex too.

I have carbon fiber engine covers on everything now so it makes it real easy to clean
Old 06-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Re: Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment (levettegrl)

I did it for the first time this past week in Florida on my Aunt's '98 vert. The car hadn't ever been so much as wiped down underhood. It was aweful
I soaked the motor w/ water and tried to avoid soaking the alternator and coil packs. Then I took a soapy rag and wiped everything I could. I let it sit for a few minutes then I rinced it all off, started it up, and let it run. I sprayed armor all all over the engine pay, avoiding the belts. Then I just let it run for 10 min to dry it. I swear when I popped the hood it lookd brand new! I should have taken pics. No ill effects either
Old 06-28-2004, 11:12 PM
ZO6Les
Drifting

I spray it down with simple green, rince thoroughly with water (avoid too much water near electrical components) - start the car and close the hood. Let it get good and warm, shut it down and wipe the motor with rags. Takes 10 minutes, looks nice, zero problems.

Les
Old 06-28-2004, 11:59 PM
MACSZ06
Intermediate

Once it is clean, just use compressed air to dust it off, also gets all the little rock/sand that gets up in the front.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:38 PM
JoeyNigs
Racer

Have not cleaned engine bay yet, but thats what great about this Forum, the feedback is always informative ! :flag
Old 06-29-2004, 08:10 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Re: Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment (JoeyNigs)

I just go to the local self-serve car wash and spray the engine bay using the spot free water setting, start the motor and go for a 10 minute drive. The spray is a probably around 1 gpm at a fairly high pressure. I keep the coil covers in place and even spray the alternator. I've done this dozens of times and have never had a problem.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:16 PM
mikeo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment (AFVETTE)

I use a damp towel sprayed with some Simple Green and just wipe it down. I'm not about to spray water in the engine bay. Too many electrical connections.

Tom
(Not that you're stupid Tom. I just love that smiley).
Old 06-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Thud
Team Owner

The electrical connections and components are pretty water tight, I don't see why you can't use a hose if you're careful.

Now the older LT1 engines, those are engines that you never want to spray with water, unless you want to spend a weekend changing the optispark.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,972 Likes on 5,354 Posts

Default Re: Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment (nuke61)

When using the car wash spray be careful around the electrical connectors and components. I ruined the TPS on my 86 by hitting it with the high pressure spray. It forced water into the resistor elements and it had to be replaced. A garden hose will not cause that type of problem.
Bill
Old 06-30-2004, 02:23 PM
SpdKilz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment (C5inNY)

Not saying this is superior to others...but Simple Green first, then 303 Protectant.

Here is a "How-To" on the subject that I did:
http://www.spdkilz.com/techtipcarcare.html

Carleton
Old 06-30-2004, 04:43 PM
mikeo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment (PepperdineZ06)

Carlton:

Awesome work (and the fact that I'm assuming that you're a fellow Pepperdine alum makes it even better).

Mike
Old 06-30-2004, 05:13 PM
SpdKilz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment (mikeo)

Thanks Mikeo

In actuality, I am going to be a Junior next year...

I noticed in your profile you are an Attorney. I am currently set on going into law. Did you attend law school at Pepperdine? Any tips?

(sorry to highjack the thread)

Get notified of new replies

To Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment

Old 06-30-2004, 06:39 PM
mikeo
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment (PepperdineZ06)

I'd be glad to help. Just shoot me an e-mail with your number and I'll give you a call.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:51 PM
Dawn Z
Intermediate

I thank everyone for all the innovative ideas !
Old 06-30-2004, 10:35 PM
jerhofer
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Once you get it clean, it is fairly easy to keep it clean. After drying the exterior of the car after I wash it, I use the same damp towels to first wipe down all of the door jambs, then I open the trunk lid and wipe down everything there, then I open the hood and wipe down the hood, and everything else in the engine compartment.

I do this as part of every car wash. If you do this, you will always be ready to show off your engine compartment. Takes about ten minutes to wipe down all of these areas if you do it every time and don't have to deal with accumulated grime.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Best Method for Cleaning Engine/Compartment