[Z06] Higher than normal Oil temps... should I be concerned

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Piranha
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Higher than normal Oil temps... should I be concerned

Hey guys,
I have had my Vette for almost a year. I have about 14k miles on it. When I initially got it I usually saw oil temps around the low to mid 190's when cruising at 75mph in the summer. In the late summer I replaced the stock air filter and filter cover with a K&N filter and an Eckler's high air flow air box cover (it's basically a stock air box with holes cut in it... I bought this because I did not want to cut my original box... I save all my replaced original parts just in case). Anyway, after this change I noticed average oil temps being up a few degrees to high 190's to the low 200's under similar driving conditions. This was shocking because the ambient air temps were lower as it was autumn. This past weekend, I took it out for some spirited driving on back roads. I was not shocked to see the oil temp climb to 213, but upon cruising later it only settled down to 208 which was the same temp it settled out to the night before without the spirited driving. I have 4000 miles on this oil and the %oil is down to about 40%. I change my oil every 5000. I checked the oil and it is about 1/2 quart below the full line like always. Does anyone have an explanation for this... is it normal... should I be concerned? All comments welcome.
Thanks,
:lurk:
Old 03-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Higher than normal Oil temps... should I be concerned (Piranha)

Normal. I see 203-204 after driving a bit, and that's even in the winter when it's 25 outside/ :cheers:
Old 03-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Oil temps usually run anywhere from 5 degrees above coolant temp to as high as 80 degrees (or more) above coolant temps, depending on how much horsepower you are asking the engine to produce. Your reported readings are well within the range of "normal" operating temps. On the track I've seen my oil temps at 290 while the coolant temps are around 195. Of course that is under conditions of very high horsepower requirements. Driving on the streets the differentials should be in the 5 to 30 degree range.

Jim
Old 03-15-2004, 05:32 PM
GearGrinder
Instructor

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Higher than normal Oil temps... should I be concerned (Geneus)

I am no vette expert.Actually a new vette owner. But I have had a few muscle cars without computerized fuel injection. In my experience if a car runs leaner it may run hotter. Your mods to the air filter will surely allow more air and unless the computer senses it it may not be compensating for it.
Try putting the stock cleaner lid back on. Good luck
Oh yea I forgot :seeya

[Modified by GearGrinder, 2:34 PM 3/15/2004]
Old 03-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Doug,

First, 213 degree F oil temperatures are nothing to worry about.

I would suggest though, if are expecting to keep your Z06 for any period of time that you start changing your oil and filter in the 2,500 to 3,000 mile area. The factory recommended change interval is a byproduct of the Sales and Marketing folks at GM trying to keep 'The Cost of Ownership' competitive with other vehicles. It has very little to do with was the best for a Z06.

Enjoy. :seeya
Old 03-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Thud
Team Owner

Default Re: Higher than normal Oil temps... should I be concerned (Pumba)

Doug,

First, 213 degree F oil temperatures are nothing to worry about.

I would suggest though, if are expecting to keep your Z06 for any period of time that you start changing your oil and filter in the 2,500 to 3,000 mile area. The factory recommended change interval is a byproduct of the Sales and Marketing folks at GM trying to keep 'The Cost of Ownership' competitive with other vehicles. It has very little to do with was the best for a Z06.

Enjoy. :seeya

The "3k oil change" myth is one that's perpetuated by dino oil companies and quick lube shops who want your business more often.
But if you change mobil-1 at only 3k you're throwing away perfectly good synthetic oil. At least use it in your daily driver for another 5k miles before getting rid of it!

Also 200+ degree oil temps aren't high. Heck, you have to get it up to at least 212 to evaporate any moisture that's collected in the oil. I've seen 220 on my Z06 after moderately hard driving for a while and that's near the middle of the guage. I wouldn't worry unless you start seeing 250 degrees during normal driving.

[Modified by Thud, 8:04 PM 3/15/2004]
Old 03-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Piranha
Racer

Default Re: Higher than normal Oil temps... should I be concerned (Thud)

Hey thanks guys for puting my mind at ease. I'm shocked at myself for not even thinking about the 212F as being the boiling point of water... and I'm a chemist...jeesh.
Thanks again,
P.S. I'm gonna stick with 5k oil changes or 10% on the DIC whichever comes first.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:57 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

When it gets to 280+ think about getting a cooler, but your still OK at that temp. When your in the low 300's your in trouble. I ran 268 degrees at a track event this winter and thats OK too.

Joel
Old 03-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Thud
Team Owner

Default Re: Higher than normal Oil temps... should I be concerned (C5 Hardtop)

I think the Z06 has an oil cooler standard.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Tonys torch
Instructor

I know a few Z's i wouldnt buy now..LOL

Gosh i would change that oil at least at 3000 miles Dude!

Its only money (what about less than 70 bucks each time)?? I mean thats three tanks of gas....and its not going to hurt your car.. Just help it last longer.
I learned at a very young age, your oil is the life of YOUR engine.

Gosh i cant get over all the money guys spend on buying a car and not change their oil more often.

GO FIGURE :steering:
Old 03-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Tom T.
Racer

Your oil temperatures are well within normal operating range. Chill, drive it.

TT :thumbs:
Old 03-16-2004, 12:09 AM
slong
Melting Slicks

I agree that the temp's you are seeing are normal. You mentioned lower temp's in the summer. Did you have your AC on? When it is the fans run at wide open for that reason. Also take a peek under the Vette up through the air shroud and radiator. Debris loves to gather up top in the corner and in the cooling fins. My Vette only had 2000+ miles on it when I put the Vararam on and upon disassembly of the area I was shock by how much crap came out of there. Now I live in suburbia next to the blurbs. No back woods roads.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Zen06
Racer

I run around 280 degrees for 30-40 minutes at a time at driving events with no problems. I do change my oil more often than most. And no, there is no engine oil cooler on the Corvette. After running hard I open my hood to cool things down as fast as possible before more hot laps.

:cheers:
Old 03-16-2004, 01:19 AM
Dashzo6
Pro

Default Re: Higher than normal Oil temps... should I be concerned (Zen06)

This past weekend I drove on some mountain roads and my oil temps were as high as 230 deg. On track events when the oil temps get to 290 deg I back off until they drop to 270 deg. Don't worry about it unless yor running 290 deg or more.
If your really worried about oil temps DRM has a GP going on for a radiator with integral oil cooler in the autocross /roadracing section.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:32 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

no
Old 03-16-2004, 06:27 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Higher than normal Oil temps... should I be concerned (Tonys torch)

Quote:

"Gosh i would change that oil at least at 3000 miles Dude!"

There are some that just go by the DIC (Driver Information Center). Supposedly you can change your oil at 7,500 miles with no problems.

However, there are still some that abide by the 3,000 mile rule. There is nothing wrong with that!

Old 03-16-2004, 08:59 AM
02 batmobile
Instructor

Obviously changing oil is something we all have different opinions on. 3000 miles used to be the standard because petroleum oil broke down due to heat and wear. The synthetic oils don't break down. Synthetics can keep going for a long time but the problem is eventually the oil becomes contaminated and so needs to be changed. My father used to run his synthetic oil for a year at a time. He would occasionally have a sample of the oil tested to see what contaminants were present.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Thud
Team Owner

Default Re: Higher than normal Oil temps... should I be concerned (CPT Z06)

no

Party pooper.

Get notified of new replies

To Higher than normal Oil temps... should I be concerned

Quick Reply: [Z06] Higher than normal Oil temps... should I be concerned