Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 11:03 AM
barondw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY (CAPN17)

:iagree:
Old 08-09-2003, 12:08 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Default Re: MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY (Bertrand)

What you prolly don't realize is that people who steal these cars are not some bozos.
Yes, the car might have lots of features - but once they got your VIN number that can cut a key + remote on any BMW dealership - even in mexico/brazil/etc and have them fedx it to US.
No need in truck, problem solved.

When I lost a key to my 99 vette - all I had to do is just go to a dealer and 15 minutes and $25 later and had a new key.

Man, how did they steal it? They must have had a flat bed or other tow truck because if your M3 was like my 1999 328i, it is supposed to have 12 different computer components that need to authenticate before the ignition will even fire?!? At least that was what I read at the time...

Sorry about your loss. That sucks. At least they didn't carjack it from you at gun point and nobody got hurt. It sucks that we can work hard for our cars only to have some low life help themselves to one like that. Hang in there...

:cheers:
Old 08-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Lashtal
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY (CAPN17)

It is a car, you have insurance, replace it. It is not like you experienced personal terror or danger. It is not a big deal.
:iagree:

Sorry for you loss but at least you where not in it when they took it. :blueangel:

Old 08-09-2003, 11:40 PM
logansowner
Le Mans Master

Default Re: MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY (RaceCarDriver)

Damn man, that sucks :sad: I hope you get a replacement real soon :cheers: But try not using CAP ALL THE TIME, IT'S REALLY ANNOYING :cheers:
Old 08-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Bertrand
Burning Brakes

Default Re: MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY (PeterK)

What you prolly don't realize is that people who steal these cars are not some bozos.
Yes, the car might have lots of features - but once they got your VIN number that can cut a key + remote on any BMW dealership - even in mexico/brazil/etc and have them fedx it to US.
No need in truck, problem solved.

When I lost a key to my 99 vette - all I had to do is just go to a dealer and 15 minutes and $25 later and had a new key.

Man, how did they steal it? They must have had a flat bed or other tow truck because if your M3 was like my 1999 328i, it is supposed to have 12 different computer components that need to authenticate before the ignition will even fire?!? At least that was what I read at the time...

Sorry about your loss. That sucks. At least they didn't carjack it from you at gun point and nobody got hurt. It sucks that we can work hard for our cars only to have some low life help themselves to one like that. Hang in there...

Actually, that is NOT the case for BMWs E46 3 series cars. You may want to do a little research before you start suggesting that others don't know what they are talking about...

BMWs, at least as of 1999, were produced with only 14 keys total that match the car. This included valet keys, remote keys and a wallet key. You need a special key request certificate to order a replacement key and only the selling dealership and BMW Germany has extra matching keys for your car. If you loose all fourteen keys during the lifespan of the vehicle, BMW litterally has to replace 12 ignition code verification components that cost in the thousands of dollars to replace.

Don't assume that all keys or ignition theft deterrent systems are created equal, or that all car dealer networks/companies are as easy to fool as GM. With the new 7 and 5 series, I'm not even sure what BMW is doing but I would expect no less than they did for the 3 series 4 years ago.

Off course, the flatbed is the ultimate equalizer so you can only do so much to prevent a motivated low life from stealing a car...
Old 08-10-2003, 11:20 PM
RaceCarDriver
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY (Bertrand)

as far as I know they didn't tow it. They popped the key cylinder out of the door handle. Don't know how they started it. It's been four days already and no sign of it.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:21 PM
RaceCarDriver
Instructor

Default Re: MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY (gpeduto)

thanks for the great info, I'll definitely check out those for my Z.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:23 PM
RaceCarDriver
Instructor

Default Re: MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY (Zee06)

Zee06

As far as I know it wasn't towed. I didn't hear or see a tow truck drive by my office window. They popped the key cylinder out of the door handle to get in, don't know how they got the car started.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:57 PM
ModRed405
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Dude, that SUCKS! I went through that a few weeks ago when my 2001 Coupe was stolen. I guess the only happy ending for me is that I will be picking up my new Z06 this weekend :cheers:

I hope there is a happy ending for you and everything turns out OK.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:19 PM
radimaging
Instructor

Default Re: MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY (gpeduto)

That sucks. Sorry for your loss and headaches.

gpeduto- seems like the alarm would be going off all the time. I had a Clifford (albeit an older version) that false-alarmed so much that I finally disconnected the alarm horn.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:54 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

Hate to hear that.... man :mad :mad :mad
Old 08-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Metallic311
Instructor

Default Re: MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY (Traceys2vettes)

You know I've heard that their is a simple self contained computer(individually programmed for different cars) that plugs directly into the pcm harness of the car and can start it.

If a computer can be hacked into so can the pcm of a car. Although im sure only professionals would possess such things, and probably wouldn't have broken into it the way you described
Old 08-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Z06CONVSC
Advanced

Sorry about your loss on the BMW...hope you get it back as you left it....thanks for the info on the Z06 Pinging noise...Lingenfelter is working on the problem...they will figure it out.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:32 PM
Zee06
Instructor

Default Re: MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY (Metallic311)

One big problem with cars and immobilizers is the valet key is sometimes left in the glovebox. This is a big problem with auto thefts in St Louis, and many owners are unaware that it even exists, usually in the owner's manual. Thieves are getting into the cars, and looking for these valet keys. If they find one, the car is gone. If they don't find one, they generally move on to a different car...
Old 08-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Guzo
Heel & Toe

Default Re: MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY (Zee06)

My friend just purchased a new white convertible m3 about 2 months ago. They tried to take his also. Apparently there is something wrong or not so greatly designed in the BMW's security system. They can disable the alarm just from messing with the doorlock. After the alarm is disabled, they just screw the ignition since the car will start after the alarm is disengaged. The best thing to do when you get your next m3, if you do, is to take the car to a bodyshop and have them remove the lock from your door and cover the hole, so they won't have anything to mess with. His bill came out to under 150 for the removal of the lock and the new piece to cover the hole.Pretty cheap considering it will keep your car in your hands.

My friend didn't even notice the messed up lock himself, his dad did, so noone knows how long it had been messed up for.

[Modified by Guzo, 10:04 PM 8/22/2003]
Old 08-22-2003, 05:08 PM
Noggles
Team Owner

Location: Adventure, excitement ... a Jedi craves not these things.
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Sorry to hear that :(
Old 08-22-2003, 07:03 PM
McRCN
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Re: MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY (Noggles)

Major Bummer! :sad:

Get notified of new replies

To MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY

Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 PM
coolou
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CAPN17
It is a car, you have insurance, replace it. It is not like you experienced personal terror or danger. It is not a big deal.
You have to remember that a lot of insurance companies may think you had it stolen purposely and will stall a long time before giving you anything.

coolou
Old 04-03-2010, 12:27 AM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by coolou
You have to remember that a lot of insurance companies may think you had it stolen purposely and will stall a long time before giving you anything.

coolou
I think they probably settled by now, being this thread hasn't been active for 7 years, until today...
Old 04-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Daluvman
Instructor

Originally Posted by KCvetteowner
I think they probably settled by now, being this thread hasn't been active for 7 years, until today...

You know we used to hang "horse thieves" bring back some of the Ol Justice and these bastards would think differently about ripping people off. Pity the fool that tries that in my part of the country. We are "armed and dangerous" when it comes to thieves.

Quick Reply: [Z06] MY CAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY