Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] WHICH CAR WOULD YOU BUILD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 10:44 AM
96VIPERGTS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: WHICH CAR WOULD YOU BUILD? (Jagrmaister)

I'd say you're actually throwing your money away if all you want to do is street race. Who are you trying to impress?
As opposed to not throwing my money away if I were going to drag it?
As far as who am I trying to impress... myself. Most everyone I know is already impressed with the car the way it sits. This extra bump is for me. I want a really powerful car for the street. The question asked was which to build. As far a the question of why... because I want to. You say I may be waisting my money and I say there is no doubt I am, but who doesn't. I haven't bought one beer or cigarette in my entire life. Neither of those things have ever appealed to me. If you add it up I have probably "saved" thousands of dollars by not doing things I see as "waisted" money. We all like what we like because we like it. BTW all of the LPE vettes($30k+) on this board were bough specifically to take to the track most of the time. :rolleyes: Some guys like to track their cars, I would guess most don't very often. I want a very fast car for the street that I don't have to open the bottle every time I want to feel the power. Is that so hard to understand?

[Modified by 96VIPERGTS, 10:48 AM 8/8/2003]
Old 08-08-2003, 05:19 PM
98RT10
Advanced

Default Re: WHICH CAR WOULD YOU BUILD? (96VIPERGTS)

Gary,

Why dont you just do heads and cam on the Viper? Is it the NOS that you are trying to get clear of??? I can tell you that with my new 510 inch motor, we are looking at 650RWHP on motor and just over 850 RWHP on the 200 shot. 15k can get you at least 550 to the tires on just motor. Then another 8k can get you a stroker ready for a 300 shot. I guess it really depends on your preferences. If it is the nawzzzz that you dont like, then this would not be the best option. Just some thoughts...

Regards,

Martin
98RT10 Sprayed Venom 700R
Old 08-08-2003, 06:44 PM
SnakeBitten
Instructor

Default Re: WHICH CAR WOULD YOU BUILD? (98RT10)

What about a Roe charger 7-8k and have it tuned by Macedo, add a cam etc ...Im sure youve seen some of the cars with this combination...Sickness...I think thats the most hp tq you're gonna get for your 15k....Unless you follow MD's advice with the NOS..Cant go wrong with NOS on a 510ci motor :eek:
Old 08-08-2003, 11:00 PM
CMilVette
Melting Slicks

Mod the GTS! :yesnod: :cool:
Old 08-09-2003, 12:51 AM
Bertrand
Burning Brakes

I would mod the Z06 with some forced induction. For $15K, I would look at a Cerra Turbo setup as my first choice.

My ultimate supercar is still probably a Z06 with a C5R race block 427 putting out around 550/550 at the crank on motor alone. The sound of that kind of and engine and the throttle response you would have in the 3050 lbs Z06 would be outrageous. At speed, I would also rather have 500 rwhp in a Z06 than 600+rwhp in a GTS. The Z06 is safer at super high speeds in my humble opinion.

Besides, the GTS is probably already a torque monster. I'll add one thing, you would probably be smart to look into getting a 'mini tub' and 315s or wider on the rear if you go much above stock torque in the Z06... I sometimes can't hook it in 2nd...

:cheers:
Old 08-09-2003, 02:45 AM
605caddi
Le Mans Master

mod the viper :yesnod: :thumbs:
Old 08-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I also feel that the GTS will age more gracefully meaning it won't look like an old car for a while if ever
Sorry man but it already looks old - as does the C5. They're both great looking cars. I'd leave the Viper stock and TT the Vette (LPE). Best of both worlds.............or save your money and buy one of the new 600+ HP Turbo Carreras :D
Old 08-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Roadfrog
Pro

Default Re: WHICH CAR WOULD YOU BUILD? (binksZ06)

Neither one actually.

I'd go for a 427 SC Cobra kit car with a big block and everything else the way you want it. You can do it with your own hands, it can run like the devil and sound the same. That's my next project.

The 427 SC body style is the most beautiful ever created. No flames please, it's too easy! :cheers:
Old 08-09-2003, 06:01 PM
96VIPERGTS
Racer

Default Re: WHICH CAR WOULD YOU BUILD? (Roadfrog)

Roadfrog,
It's funny you should say that. I have been thinking of building one of those for some time now. I ordered the info pack from factory five and looked into a 514 cid crate motor from ford racing. They say it will slip right in. I just wonder how one of those would handle speeds over 100mph. BTW my neighbor has an original. He has a pic of him and carrol shelby sitting in the car. :cheers:
Old 08-09-2003, 06:48 PM
Jagrmaister
Instructor

Hey, I wasn't condemning your choice to mod..I'm an idiot, too, when it comes to modding. I blew up my 2000 GT with a blower, and now, you'd think I'd learn my lesson and not touch the Z06. But nope, I still can't help but want to add to it down the road. I was just saying perhaps you really don't need to be the envy of the world with ungodly amounts of horsepower when the speed limit is still the same and if you get caught, your likely to go to jail and possibly lose your vehicle. Not trying to stop you, I can't even stop myself...But take into consideration when you build a car solely for street racing, you'll probably endanger the lives of others as well as your own. Especially with the kind of power you're talking about. I was just trying to make a point to take into consideration other's safety.

Good luck. Next time, you don't have to be such an A** about things. I love modding as much as the next guy, but there's certainly other things to think about other than "My ***** are bigger than your *****".

[Modified by Jagrmaister, 5:50 PM 8/9/2003]
Old 08-10-2003, 01:43 AM
96VIPERGTS
Racer

Default Re: WHICH CAR WOULD YOU BUILD? (Jagrmaister)

Jag,
I promise you, how ever you saw my previous thread, it wasn't me being an a** to you. As far as not knowing where to stop when it comes to mods I know what you mean. I have also blown up a mustang, 97 Cobra to be exact. I guess that means we have something in common. :cheers: As far as the street racing, I have stret raced about 3 times this year. They have all been on a dead end road around the corner from my house. Just me and the other guy so I don't put any innocent person in harms way (except maybe the camera man) :D . Like I said I want as much power in a street car as I can afford. I'm not trying to impress anyone necessarily, I just want it. The things you ask me about impressing and having big *****... couldn't a honda owner say the same things about someone like you for buying a 405hp vette. In their mind maybe you are the one going out of his way to "impress". I've found with cars everything is relative. Lets just agree that we are both very fortunate to be able to enjoy these great cars. :cheers:
Old 08-10-2003, 03:45 AM
Jagrmaister
Instructor

Hey, no hard feelings. You'd probably find we had more in common than not. I love enjoying cars like these, and I do consider guys like us incredibly fortunate. I don't blame you for wanting to mod either, like I said, I have kind of the same problem. I'm not sure you need 800 horse, though... :lol: But hey, if that's what you have to have. I suppose if I could build my Z06 the way I'd want it, it would have a Halltech Twin Turbo system on a built 427, with a small shot of nitrous just in case. Heh, and I'm also considering rather than doing the '57 project at this time, building a 427 S/C kit car and making it wicked for a similar sum of cash. I kind of have a go-fast illness more than a resto-illness...as cool as either project would be.

Stay safe, though.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:07 AM
SQEZN BI
Racer

being your in a corvette site i bet more people would say the vette i figure if you can afford two cars of that caliber why not build them both . Of course favoring the vette. :D
Old 08-11-2003, 10:40 AM
96VIPERGTS
Racer

Default Re: WHICH CAR WOULD YOU BUILD? (SQEZN BI)

Who said I can afford both of these cars. I'm just in way over my head!! :lol: :smash: Thanks everyone for your input. So far it looks like most folks would mod the GTS.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:49 PM
55SUX
Racer

I also feel that the GTS will age more gracefully meaning it won't look like an old car for a while if ever vs. the c5 body which may soon become outdated by the c6 body.
Huh? It already is outdated.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:55 PM
96VIPERGTS
Racer

Default Re: WHICH CAR WOULD YOU BUILD? (55SUX)

I also feel that the GTS will age more gracefully meaning it won't look like an old car for a while if ever vs. the c5 body which may soon become outdated by the c6 body.

Huh? It already is outdated.
That's your opinion. You probably think the ac cobra is outdated as well. I don't.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:45 PM
55SUX
Racer

That's your opinion. You probably think the ac cobra is outdated as well. I don't.
That's not my opinion, it's fact. The GTS body became outdated when the 2003 model came out.

Get notified of new replies

To WHICH CAR WOULD YOU BUILD?

Old 08-18-2003, 07:55 PM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

If you could get 750rwhp for 15k with the GTS, I would say do that. What are these big motor vipers trapping anyways? Your best route with the Z would be the Lingenfelter Stage 1 plus boost controller for 23k. TURBOZ06 on the forum here has one that has trapped 141mph. It should be good for 650+rwhp and it is a tried and true package. For the price I think that is a ridiculously fast trap speed and amount of power. The new turbo kits out from smaller shops couldn't garuntee 650+rwhp and would probably take longer to get done right.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:18 AM
96VIPERGTS
Racer

That's not my opinion, it's fact. The GTS body became outdated when the 2003 model came out.
So your car will be outdated the second the c6 comes out next year. Too bad for you. I dont see it that way at all. It isn't a fact at all. A body style being outdated is all about opinion. Go ask most zr1 owners if their cars are outdated and see what they say. BTW since there is no current 03GTS(coupe) my viper is still the latest coupe.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:20 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can relate. I agree with you that the Viper will probably age better than the Z, although the Z continues to grow on me. I have always considered the Viper to be more like my 69 L88 than the C5's. It puts down 483 rwhp in stock form, has more in common with its profile than the Z, and roars loud enough to wake the dead. Shelby went out of his way to make the Viper the highest form of yestertech, no computers where ever possible. Just honest yet brutal power to weight ratio coupled to 6 speed gear box (my 69 has the 6 speed ROD) with virtually no accessories.

The Z is so much more civilized, even refined compared to the L88 or the Viper it would be a shame to transform it into something much more different than it already is. The Viper beats its chest with the image of tremendous power. Adding a bit more is simply keeping to its character.

The Z motor I would love to have is the Katech 427 using a somewhat milder cam making only about 500hp. Not a street racer, but a LeMans tourer. Its great to have one of each! :flag

Chuck

Quick Reply: [Z06] WHICH CAR WOULD YOU BUILD?