Sponsored by:

[Z06] Handbreak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 03:22 PM
brobopop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handbreak?

My driveway is up hill and i have a problem with the vettes handbreak. i have to force it as high as possible so it can hold the car from skidding down the hill. i always remember to put in gear. but i just wanted to know if this is normal?
Old 06-25-2003, 04:21 PM
kraff
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Handbreak? (brobopop)

Ummm... Yes and no. Let me explain since you are new here (although you should do a search as this is a common topic). The parking brake should engage with only a few degrees of pulling upward, but they are notorious for not working well. On my coupe, the parking brake was useless and I was too lazy to adjust it (it is a bit of a headache as you have to remove the rear calipers). On my Z, it works great.

If your brake still works at all, you can try to automatically adjust it by letting the car roll backward while pulling up on the handle. If you are not too far out of whack, it will click and take up some slack. Do this a couple of times and consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

If this doesn't work, its off with the rear wheels. I think there are instructions for doing this in the tech tips section.

Good luck. :cheers:
Old 06-26-2003, 01:16 AM
Bertrand
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Handbreak? (brobopop)

On mine you have to burst a blood vessel in your right arm to stop the car from rolling down a South Florida (read flat) driveway. My Lexus daily drivers put it to shame on this front...

Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Smith Valley NV
4th Gear

Thanks for the insight. The 'roll back and pull the break' adjustment is for disk breaks? Reminds me of my drum-break days and want to give it a try. Again, thanks.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:05 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Smith Valley NV
Thanks for the insight. The 'roll back and pull the break' adjustment is for disk breaks? Reminds me of my drum-break days and want to give it a try. Again, thanks.
Depends on the type of parking brake it is. I don't on the vette, but my M3's rear discs have a inner drum surface for the parking brakes on each side.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 PM
AngryTurtle
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JETninja
Depends on the type of parking brake it is. I don't on the vette, but my M3's rear discs have a inner drum surface for the parking brakes on each side.
vette is same.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:42 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Gigdy
vette is same.
Hmmm...On my M3 the E-Brake handle under the boot has a cable to each side, with small nuts to allow adjustment on each side. Reading above, I guess the Vette is supposed to "auto" adjust by rolling backwards? Interesting....Have to try it, mine is pretty sucky. I have a sloped driveway as well...
Old 09-26-2011, 02:35 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

The parking brake in the Vette is a small drum brake inside the rear disc rotor, which is similar to most cars nowadays. Even my S-10 pickup uses the same type of brake, which also works like cr-p. Adjusting these brakes is a pain because you have to remove the rotor to adjust them. I got the brake in my Z to work great but in my previous C5 coupe it never worked as well. I haven't fixed my truck yet because I'm waiting until I buy new rear rotors.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 AM
AntonioZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

the rolling backwards and pulling the hand brake adjustment didn't do anything for me. I was changing to DBA Rotors so I had them off anyway and adjusted it manually. Works fine now.

Get notified of new replies

To Handbreak?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Handbreak?