Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Passport vs BEL 980 - Real World Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 03:01 PM
ruking1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Passport vs BEL 980 - Real World Test (Z06 Quin)

In CA, one would probably get nailed by the CHP that either didn't have a radar or had it turned completely off!! :cry

Keep those eyes ON!!

[Modified by ruking1, 12:01 PM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 04:49 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Default Re: Passport vs BEL 980 - Real World Test (SMFCPACFP)

I was coming home (I live in the boondocks) around dusk one evening. My V1 went off and showed 2 bogeys in front of me. Eventually a state trooper passed me, and my directional indicator showed a bogey to the side and then behind me as he passed me, but I still showed two bogeys, one behind me now and one in front with my front directional indicator flashing (indicating the stronger signal). I kept going slow (Is there another cop in front of me?).
Within 30 seconds the second state trooper passed me and now I had an indication of 2 bogeys behind me. Before these cops were out of site they both had their victims.
I don't see any real merit in this test. If I pass a cop and my detector is still going off I do not speed up. I don't care if my detector is picking up a cop behind me or a second cop in front of me. I don't speed up until my detector is completely quiet. The arrows look like a fun feature, but not a necessary feature.

BTW - Where are you all hanging your detectors? I am using the suctions cups for my light weight (hardwired) BEL and the cups always seem to fall off after a few weeks. I'm lucky my detector still works. I am looking for a better solution that does not require gluing to my windshield. I have the electrochromic mirrors and I did see one kit from Ecklers that requires gluing to the back of the mirror mount.
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...N0SM2EP3VV40L3

[Modified by rbartick, 5:17 PM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 11:31 PM
jbur
Intermediate

Default Re: Passport vs BEL 980 - Real World Test (Greg H)

Hey Greg'
those laser beams bounce right over the vettes profile from in front, happened to me, a mustang and I were running at about 87 and they blasted me from in front no time to slow down mustang was about 1 car legnth behind and he got popped . people told me about that and I thought they were nuts! guess not. :auto:
Old 02-20-2003, 08:12 AM
Futch
Racer

Default Re: Passport vs BEL 980 - Real World Test (SMFCPACFP)

How do you know when the second bogey (bs) is a reflected posterior signal from objects ahead or from an actual radar source ahead? I would think you should get two counts for every blast, one from the direction of the source & a reflected signal from 180.

I know I ALWAYS get two, albeit two different strengths. Tell me how the V-1 reacts. And then tell me which arrow you pay more attention to.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:27 AM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

Default Re: Passport vs BEL 980 - Real World Test (rbartick)

BTW - Where are you all hanging your detectors?
I don't hang mine, I have it sitting on the dash pressed up against the windshield with the suction cups adhered to the windshield. This way it is supported by the dashboard, and secured in place by the suction cups.....works great!
Old 02-20-2003, 02:51 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

I don't hang mine, I have it sitting on the dash pressed up against the windshield with the suction cups adhered to the windshield.
Pretty good idea. I wonder if the sensitivity is less with the detector down that low.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:49 PM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

Default Re: Passport vs BEL 980 - Real World Test (rbartick)

I don't hang mine, I have it sitting on the dash pressed up against the windshield with the suction cups adhered to the windshield.

Pretty good idea. I wonder if the sensitivity is less with the detector down that low.
I haven't noticed any problems....it works as good as it did when I had it up high, as far as I can tell.......I do know this, it picks up signals waayyyy before the coppers get in sight!:D
Old 02-21-2003, 09:35 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Thanks
Old 02-21-2003, 04:52 PM
ty
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Passport vs BEL 980 - Real World Test (Greg H)

Had the Bel but now have the V1 and like it a bunch. Hard wired and no problems and no tickets. JMPO.

:steering:

Quick Reply: [Z06] Passport vs BEL 980 - Real World Test