Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The C5 is slowly drifting into history......

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 12:22 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Not really sure what the point is of this post..... It has rambled all over the palace and it is really not going any where.

Yes the C5 is getting older like every vette before it. Yes the later cars are faster and better in other ways.That is just progress.

GM did not abandon anyone on parts. They just can justify keep making parts for every thing on every car. But the fact the aftermarket is about a good as any on the C5 is a blessing. You really don't know what it is like to get a hard to find part when it comes to the C5.

If we look every generation has its own fans. We all my like Vettes but we all have our favorites. Some love the C3 and like my self I love a 59-60 as I do the C5 models.

The number of C5 cars will bode well for parts moving forward. Will they make them all no. but we will still be driving and someone will offer a service some place to fix them.

The C5 is the last of the more simple Vettes but still has the benefits of the new platforms and handling. In the future I expect it will do well value wise as it will be one of the better Corvettes built and it retains the styling that looks similar to the older models more so then a the 6, 7, 8 and the coming 9. Nothing wrong with them but some like the more traditional look and that is good for keeping interests in this car.

To say it is drifting off is a bit much. It is still here and will remain here as pure numbers will assure is survival.

I have been watching prices and I now see C6 models and C5 at about the same price in good condition. I expect this to continue and moving forward the better unmolested cars will continue to increase while cars that are not as good will be a little cheaper and affordable.

There is almost nothing you can not buy for this car. My 85 Pontiac I wish I could say the same. I can watch for several years and come up empty on some parts. I have two years looking for a new cold start injector.
GM did away with the cold start injector just a few years after the TPI engines came out. Perhaps you could swap a later, non cold start injector intake on? Might need a different chip, or a re-tune after, depending on what ECM you're running.....
Old 02-05-2024, 12:28 PM
hyperv6
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
GM did away with the cold start injector just a few years after the TPI engines came out. Perhaps you could swap a later, non cold start injector intake on? Might need a different chip, or a re-tune after, depending on what ECM you're running.....
This is not a V8, this is not a TPI and this is not a Open computer system. All closed loop.

I am getting by with out but many are not and I wanted a injector in stock so if I need it I have it. My point was C5 Corvette parts are amazing how many are available and how easy most are to find. Many other cars simple parts are impossible to find.

I have a note book of catalogs of nothing but C5 parts along with a list of web sites that offer more. Not many cars enjoy that coverage.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:41 PM
grinder11
Race Director

What engine is in your Pontiac?
Old 02-06-2024, 09:47 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Don't care. Love mine (C5Z), bought new in '04. Up in value or down, doesn't matter.

Considered selling at one point last year only because the past couple years haven't driven it much. Then sunk a bunch of money into sprucing it back to where it should be, and changed my mind.

Have a C8 and it's amazing, but my C5Z...it just looks so darned good. Classic shape, I think it'll be timeless.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. For now at least.
The following 2 users liked this post by SLO VETTE:
DirtRoad (02-06-2024), Z51-R (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 11:09 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Originally Posted by SLO VETTE
Don't care. Love mine (C5Z), bought new in '04. Up in value or down, doesn't matter.

Considered selling at one point last year only because the past couple years haven't driven it much. Then sunk a bunch of money into sprucing it back to where it should be, and changed my mind.

Have a C8 and it's amazing, but my C5Z...it just looks so darned good. Classic shape, I think it'll be timeless.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. For now at least.
I've been toying with the idea of "what will my next car be". Currently a C5Z and have been curious if a C8 is possible...on the fence about "living with" a C8 and not having a manual.

More realistic would be a C6/C7 GS.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:32 AM
grinder11
Race Director

To each their own on the C8. In my opinion, it looks nothing like a Corvette. That said, the guys who like to tinker and do bolt on stuff.......It will be a challenge, to say the least. When you open the engine compartment it looks like GM had engine seeds, added water, and an engine grew there. In other words, there's not a lot of room to do anything unless the body is lifted off. They're an awesome car. But just more like a European exotic than a Corvette.....
Old 02-07-2024, 12:41 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

To each their own on the C8. In my opinion, it looks nothing like a Corvette. That said, the guys who like to tinker and do bolt on stuff.......It will be a challenge, to say the least. When you open the engine compartment it looks like GM had engine seeds, added water, and an engine grew there. In other words, there's not a lot of room to do anything unless the body is lifted off. They're an awesome car. But just more like a European exotic than a Corvette.....
More room than you think. I've been around one torn down for a Procharger system install and it's not THAT hateful. And the looks comment will always be personal preference. They have come to grow on me. Many say it's not a "corvette" since it's such a big architectural change from any previous version. I'd say, what if they were alwaya mid engine and then changed to front engine....people would still say "it doesn't look like a corvette".

But yes, the C8 will mostly put an end to the "tinkering" but part of my tinkering is improving something or fixing something (partly due to the C5 age, partly because I want to and partly to bump performance). The C8 is a great performer in stock form.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:35 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 832 Likes on 595 Posts

Let's produce both!... Just like Ferrari!... Corvette MM, mid motor, or a front engine! Take your pick.
The following users liked this post:
PetrofMII (02-07-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 09:51 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Cant argue your points, Smitty. But I still say if a guy at home wants to install LT headers, hes going to find its not easy. I will also add its not that easy on a C5, either. But I think there's more room to work on anything in a C5 than there is a C8.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:05 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Cant argue your points, Smitty. But I still say if a guy at home wants to install LT headers, hes going to find its not easy. I will also add its not that easy on a C5, either. But I think there's more room to work on anything in a C5 than there is a C8.
Ehhhh lol

I’d say it’s the same amount of effort, just different approach to get it done.

Old 02-08-2024, 11:14 AM
hyperv6
Drifting

What engine is in your Pontiac?
2.8 and it used a Pontiac only fuel system.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:18 AM
hyperv6
Drifting

When it comes to some mid engines it is not harder just different.

the Exotics are much more difficult because of the engines being more difficult or how they have the engine covered.

The C8 has some new thing but for the most it is no harder than most later Corvettes.

Knowledge rules.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:43 PM
JimHarris4
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

And so am I!
But at least my C5 can take me there.
The following users liked this post:
DirtRoad (02-16-2024)

Quick Reply: The C5 is slowly drifting into history......