Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2001 toy

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 04:29 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Got some new parts in today, wheel locks, key fob, window regulators and hood lifts. Got the fob programmed and hood lifts put on quickly. Will probably get the drivers seat fixed one way or the other tomorrow, and get going on both the window regulators. Most of the stuff I'm doing is fairly easy, but i have a list of 18 items, have checked off maybe 1/2 of them. Another thing I realized is the tint needs to come off, it's old and messed up. Side windows will be easy enough, not sure about rear.

On a side note, went out in the garage early this morning when everything was quiet, and could hear a humming sound coming from the car. I followed it to the passenger seat. Pulled 3 (lumbar) and 36 (pass power seat} fuses (after setting seat in a good position) in passenger footwell and it quit. As soon as I pulled fuses, charger jumped up a couple of notches, so i guess I found my battery drain.

This is my 9th Corvette, but I have done a lot of cars like this one. People rag them out and I buy them cheap. Obviously, I had to buy this one for the $3900 and will keep looking for the next deal. I should have all the little stuff done in a week or two, and then will make a decision on the paint. So far have only put maybe $300 in it.

The following 5 users liked this post by ronwc:
astroboy (06-21-2023), C5R USA (04-03-2023), LastTrueZ (06-22-2023), MWWarlord (04-17-2023), TheBac (04-03-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 06:31 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Got the driver's seat kind of fixed and put back in, will get a pic of it later. The side bolster had broken loose from the main part of the seat, so i did the best I could to reattach it. It is ok but seat is worn and really needs to be recovered, especially since the passenger seat looks perfect. Plugged back in driver's seat and it moves fine. He had unplugged it thinking it was his power drain, the drain was from the bladder on the passenger seat, turned that off both seats by pulling fuse 3. Got both seats and mirrors set where I want them, turned off AC and set the memory.

Wanted to get the window regulators done today, but didn't get to it, have to watch Rays play at 7. Going to take it out for a spin tomorrow to see if any surprises, I already noticed one thing today when I cranked it, oil gauge pegged out, so sensor bad, no big deal. Engine runs very smooth, fairly quiet with stock exhaust. AC was cool but not cold, will check freon.
The following 2 users liked this post by ronwc:
astroboy (06-21-2023), z edge (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 06:20 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Got the wheel locks put on today, and one window regulator done. Took some time to get window properly aligned, and works perfect now. Also took off the tint on both side windows and got that cleaned up. Did some more clean up inside car, starting to look better. Things are getting crossed off the list, about 10 things left to do, then have to make to big decision on paint. Although i was going to flip this car, I'm now thinking of keeping it for a while.

Last edited by ronwc; 04-06-2023 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 06:55 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Didn't work much on the car today, cleaned up the trunk area. Waiting for the final parts to come in next week, and will get things finished off, then decide on paint. i did take it for a short drive, it started and ran great, very solid. AC was cold and working but didn't fully check it out. Everything I fixed over this week was working good. Still have some interior cleanup to do, but looking much better. Radio working good, but has the cassette instead of CD player, had the disc player in the trunk originally but it's gone. Will try to get pics later.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:03 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Reached the end of this project, not perfect but turned out nice. I'll let the new owner take it to the next level, it would be ideal for someone that paints cars. As much as I would like to keep it and drive it for a while, don't really need three cars right now. Also don't want to get into the cost of the paint job ($2 - $4k +) and the added insurance.

There are a few other small things that need to be done (like most c5's), but you could drive it now with no problem, A decent paint job would make all the difference in the world. I kind of like working on cars like this, mainly cosmetics and small fixes, would have liked to finished and driven, but time to move on.

The following 2 users liked this post by ronwc:
astroboy (06-21-2023), LastTrueZ (06-22-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 04:19 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 778 Posts

There are two days that are highlighted in my car ownership, the day I bought and the day I sold it. Good luck on your sale.
Old 04-16-2023, 03:38 PM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Final update, advertised it on FB marketplace and craigslist for about $8000 and ended up taking $7500 for it. The buyer and myself where both happy with the deal. As much as I thought about keeping and driving it, I could not pull the trigger on a good paint job. It needed someone to take it to the next level and I believe it went to a good home.

Just as a sidenote, I am not a Facebook person, and am on there reluctantly to buy/sell cars. Although I got well over 1000 hits on the ad, constant "is it available" responses and ridiculous low ball offers, made it a pain in the ***. In one day i got two serious responses from craigslist and one of them bought the car.
The following users liked this post:
LastTrueZ (06-22-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 04:48 PM
vinco
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
That's the cheapest running C5 I have heard of. And with all of the typical mechanical repairs done recently.
Great deal, can't wait to see the different stages of progress.
Where in the early posts did he say what he paid for it? I see where he says the PO spent $7500 on it. I see now that he paid $3900 in a much later post.

Last edited by vinco; 04-16-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:39 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Welcome (back) to the asylum...
Old 04-17-2023, 01:11 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Received 1,091 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by ronwc
Wasn't trying to start a war on the faded dull paint. I know it will never be right unless painted, but wanted to try and see what I can do. I may end up with a inexpensive Maaco job, or drive/sell it as is. We'll see.
If you do a few tjings before going to Maaco like remove side markers and tailights. Remove the emblems front and rear etc and you'll end up with a nice paint job.

Quick Reply: New 2001 toy