Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this C5 too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 08:57 PM
pdx-vette
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

I greatly appreciate everyone's valuable suggestions. I contacted the seller and not surprisingly the car is sold.

I've wanted a Corvette since I was 10 years old, which is a few decades ago. I've been browsing and asking questions on this forum for 10 years. Now I have both the means and the place to park it.

There's this 2002 with 49K miles. I believe the paint and interior are not from the factory, right? Does it appear that the suspension has been modified too?

Old 01-14-2023, 12:08 AM
o2baZR1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

And life is too short to not use every mile you have in you too! At least that's my philosophy coz there's no guarantee that tomorrow I or anyone else will still be vertical. Live it up! A killer C5 is a fantastic way to take a big bite out of every day and night.
The following 2 users liked this post by o2baZR1:
CorvetteBrent (01-14-2023), pdx-vette (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 12:34 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by pdx-vette
I greatly appreciate everyone's valuable suggestions. I contacted the seller and not surprisingly the car is sold.

I've wanted a Corvette since I was 10 years old, which is a few decades ago. I've been browsing and asking questions on this forum for 10 years. Now I have both the means and the place to park it.

There's this 2002 with 49K miles. I believe the paint and interior are not from the factory, right? Does it appear that the suspension has been modified too?

jump in and join us brother!
The following users liked this post:
pdx-vette (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 02:54 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,965 Posts

So much disparity among opinions.

Firstly, I feel that is a great price in the current market for a low miles, clean, 6-speed with decent options which is also an 02+ which is more desirable both for the 12mm tt and the repairable EBCM if ever needed.

One detail most won't catch is that this one has the really RARE option of coming with the PAINTED TOP to match the car's color. Most look funny with the glass top which looks blackish. The body color piece makes the car overall look a LOT better. You could sell the glass top for $1k "today" and be fine. My logic was always: If I want sun or to be hot, I'll take the panel off - otherwise I don't need or want the glass one.

I'm not a tan interior guy. But who cares for that price and mileage? It could be swapped out for break even if desired.

Pending a test drive, I'd be gung ho. Anything you want changed on the car is easily done.

When you see the car, put your hands near the exhaust manifolds and/or coolant lines to be sure they are COLD when you arrive. I want to see the car cold start and listen for sounds and watch for smoke. It will warm up while driving. Any noises other than interior plastic squeaks or injector "stitching" should draw attention. Use the forum or Google to learn how to use the gauge cluster to pull a FULL LIST of error codes, not just check engine stuff. Use your phone to record that numbers and then reference them back to a printed list you can bring with you. Could save you from an expensive decision.

As to the alternate arguments about mileage vs price...... If the car has +100k miles I figure it has been a daily driver. Do you beat the snot out of a car you drive regularly and depend on? Does it see abusive throttle and braking and erratic driving every time someone gets behind the wheel? Or does the car which has only 20k miles after 21 years look clean as heck but risk the chance that the owner only took it out on weekends with the INTENT to get in a sports car and be a little rowdy?

Who knows. And really... who cares? If the car is clean and mechanically sound that is all that matters. You can instantly peg a car which has been uncared for. They stand out immediately. But the wonder of the C5s is that mechanically they are quite robust. They are also quite easy to service and repair if they need attention. The only horror story being the EBCM which this one will avoid being an 02, or the PITA to change your clutch. Weekend headache if you're a DIY, or expensive headache if you pay someone else. But that's about it. Everything else is pretty straight forward. These are not some flimsy Italian wag. The C5 Corvette is one stout beast.

My argument for miles / price / condition is usually balanced by MODS. I got my 99 in 2012 for 12.5k with 34k miles and it came with 8k worth of suspension, exhaust, wheels and other mods already done. I got my 03Z in 2019 for 17k with 63k miles and it came with (I should go back and tally it, I don't have a full/accurate listing so I'll shoot from the hip and aim a little low) easily 12k is parts including the supercharger. So I don't sweat miles so long as the car has clearly been well cared for in terms of paint and interior.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tusc:
CorvetteBrent (01-14-2023), pdx-vette (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 03:03 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Additional notes on the car at hand:

I see it has the factory low option (non polished) wheels and still sports the body side moldings on the door. There is a strong chance this mint cherub may also still sport the factory mufflers! LOL

If it does? You found someone who creampuffed it. Because nobody keeps those wheels or the factory exhaust and many remove the side moldings over time. I take these are good indicators that the car has been more of a "prized" possession which maybe they don't service themselves too. So it ought to have good records, and a creampuff owner will absolutely be the type to keep those records because they think it is somehow valuable to do so.

Strong chance you found a really good low miles catch. This is the one I would love to snag and slap a 10psi blower on and with exhaust, wheels and coilovers and call it done.
CorvetteBrent (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 04:29 AM
pdx-vette
Racer

I should be speaking with the seller soon. Will someone please let me know if the hood stripe and the upholstery of the steering wheel and seats are custom?

Thank you.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:59 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

All someone's idea of custom. It may be aftermarket, or it can also be dyed.

Big change between the two cars. Mint red vs schloppy looking grey.

Don't buy in impulse. Take your time and decide exactly what you want. These things are for sale all the time so get a good one and one you really like.

Hit up C5 Modified Buy Sell trade on FB. They have a ton of them pop up varying between cherry mint and mega modded.
pdx-vette (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 05:08 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I should be speaking with the seller soon. Will someone please let me know if the hood stripe and the upholstery of the steering wheel and seats are custom?

Thank you.
[inhales]

front & rear emblems, the hood middle stripe, the black halo top, the two-tone steering wheel, two tone seats, interior door handles, traction control welt cord + two tone arm rest, driver and passenger airbag inserts, climate control & quarter panel LED lights, painted calipers...are "custom"
pdx-vette (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 08:51 AM
Missileboy
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 189 Posts

A week ago, I just bought a 02 Coupe, 55K miles, Auto, 1 owner car same color as this. I paid 19.1 for it (plus tax and registration as I bought it from a Nissan dealer). These cars are pretty solid and the things that "usually" go wrong are due to old GM plastic breaking (window regulators, shift linkages etc., switches wearing out) and some other electronic stuff, but you can get the parts and keep these cars going like new, 20 years later. Go check it out and enjoy it. That stripe is not factory and the top is the tinted one not factory painted. Agree looks like the PO had some interior work done, looks good to me! Like mine, driven about ~3k miles a year average since birth-Nice example of an 02
pdx-vette (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 01:00 PM
666lisa
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry3m
LOAD OF CRAP! I bought my 2000 vert in 2017 with 6000 miles on it. Changed the original tires and flushed fluids. Daily driven for the last 5+ years with only one repair (clutch master, which is common regardless of miles). It now has almost 50K miles on it, and still drives like new. Suspension is tight, no leaks, no squeaks. No electrical issues.

The bull crap about low mile cars having issues is tiresome.

That’s a great price if it’s not a scam. Buy it and drive the wheels off it.
I love how people see a statement through their own eyes. Only read what they want to comment on. Never said not to bought it. Just making a comment on reality that buying a low mile car is not always the best way to go. Im glade u had got a great car. Im not trying to discourage him just saying that a lot of c5 that have low miles have just as many problem and possible more then a c5 with high miles and never garaged or storage. U must now the guy then if its not a scam. Get him on here so we or i can ask him some questions in the open. Or i bet u did have a lot off problems buying a low mile c5 and just want to someone else experience what u went through.
pdx-vette (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 02:39 PM
pdx-vette
Racer

Originally Posted by jdmvette
[inhales]

front & rear emblems, the hood middle stripe, the black halo top, the two-tone steering wheel, two tone seats, interior door handles, traction control welt cord + two tone arm rest, driver and passenger airbag inserts, climate control & quarter panel LED lights, painted calipers...are "custom"
Holy switcheroo, Batman! 🦇 I appreciate your eagle eye!
Old 01-14-2023, 02:49 PM
h8snow
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Seems about right 2002 does have the correct EBCM 2001-2004. Figure around another $2000 for basic maintenance tires.all fluids, battery, alinement, leaks such. Good luck.
pdx-vette (01-14-2023)
Old 01-14-2023, 09:02 PM
Mc556
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
$4500.00 is what a "Professional Corvette Shop" charged me last year on a C6, but C5-C6-and C7 all use the torque-tube. I didn't realize but all automatic transmission cars, the TT rotates the same as the crankshaft, 1 for 1 so you can see why the burn out. with a 6 speed or manual, once you push in the clutch in, the TT stops but only with the clutch pushed in.
I get it and I apologize for being somewhat rude.
Before I bought my C5 I have owned so many Mustangs I couldn’t count on my hands and toes.
The communities are night and day as far as people working on their own cars.
Maybe that’s just the going rate, but my jaw dropped because it’s not a hard job. Parts are about $500 and it’s a full day job.
It theoretically should be closer to what a clutch job would cost IMO. Anyway my apologies
These cars are actually a lot easier to work on than say a 4v mustang. The Vette Tax apparently is not a joke
Old 01-14-2023, 10:58 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,049 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Mc556
Before I bought my C5 I have owned so many Mustangs I couldn’t count on my hands and toes.
The communities are night and day as far as people working on their own cars.
I totally agree.. 'vette guys tend to wrench their own cars.. 'stang owners (the ultimate "me too" car) tend to pay their way :- )
Old 01-15-2023, 06:27 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Here you go if anyone is still looking..... $16k, 77k miles

If it was repainted, it probably has an impact history.... but fresh paint vs that weird grey one.

Quick Reply: Is this C5 too good to be true?