Sponsored by:

Did I pick the wrong car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 12:52 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Who. Cares.

It drives me nuts when anybody buys a car, then immediately starts talking/thinking about what it'll be worth when they sell it. Mod it, drive it. Do what YOU want with it. Don't like it? Sell it and move on to something else.

As to the post that said to find a car that is already modded the way you want it....that was from a mechanic that didn't want to install anything.

A couple years ago my dad bought a heads/cam C6 Z06. It had all receipts with it, was low miles and we even found the shop that built it and he called and talked to them. Had a cooling system issue that was never found and would suddenly creep up at different times. So you never know how something was cared for, or how good the build actually was.
The following 2 users liked this post by 91LSMAN:
EVL JAKE (11-29-2022), Stingroo (11-29-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 04:00 PM
Dodgeturbpo
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

My 2000 conv 6-speed is my 5th Vette. I’m 72 and never get tired of hearing the sounds they make and the cool ride.. Never really thought of them as a investment except the 1965 conv 4 speed side pipes car that I had for 30 yrs before I sold it. After that I purchased a 1988 and that was a dog but I broke about even on it. We love just putting the top down now and cruising around and maybe stop for a 🍸. Just enjoy your ride whatever it may be.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:52 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,605 Likes on 2,556 Posts

My take on all this is even if your car is worth the same $$$$ next year as it is this year, you're still losing $$$$, due to the rather rampant inflation. Here's some interesting figures:
Let's say you bought a new 327 Corvette in 1965 for $5,000. $5,000 in 1965 is worth over $47,000 today in 2022!!! So, the guy who held onto it for 57 years and sold it for $75,000 last week made $28,000 in 57 years, or about $500/year. Not that great of an investment in my book. But it's probably far better than any C5 owner can possibly hope for. The real value in a C5 is in one place only, and that's in the drivers seat with the pedal to the floor!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by grinder11:
Johnny Hardcore (11-26-2022), Rumplemenzz (11-23-2022), vette4fl (11-23-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 05:23 PM
Rumplemenzz
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN
Who. Cares.

It drives me nuts when anybody buys a car, then immediately starts talking/thinking about what it'll be worth when they sell it. Mod it, drive it. Do what YOU want with it. Don't like it? Sell it and move on to something else.

tht was me before my vette.. totally agree. Alot less stress and alot more fun when u follow this motto
Old 11-23-2022, 08:03 PM
Beast
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
My take on all this is even if your car is worth the same $$$$ next year as it is this year, you're still losing $$$$, due to the rather rampant inflation. Here's some interesting figures:
Let's say you bought a new 327 Corvette in 1965 for $5,000. $5,000 in 1965 is worth over $47,000 today in 2022!!! So, the guy who held onto it for 57 years and sold it for $75,000 last week made $28,000 in 57 years, or about $500/year. Not that great of an investment in my book. But it's probably far better than any C5 owner can possibly hope for. The real value in a C5 is in one place only, and that's in the drivers seat with the pedal to the floor!!!
I agree with the right foot through the floor. Grinder, put those Mickey Thompsons on the back of your C5, right foot through the floor, and let us know what happens to your transmission. I’m still waiting on those results. Lol
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Hardcore (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 07:09 PM
Johnny Hardcore
Melting Slicks

Received 891 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatorlaw
My theory is that a lot of the Trans Ams, Irocs, and the like were 1/2 the sticker price and tended to be purchased by much younger drivers. Unfortunately these drivers could not afford to have a second car for a daily so they got used and in many cases abused. Finding a 20-30-40 year old corvette with less than 50k miles is the norm, not the exception. Also since the majority of the corvette’s were second cars they did not have to endure the daily abuse and are survivors. If you find a TA, IROC or similar in garage queen status it will command a premium as it’s rare. It’s not because the vette is a worse car, it’s just far more common at this point.
Originally Posted by vette4fl
plus many were wrecked. But more indicative of the collector interest in the WS6...is the fact that relatively few LS1 based WS6 cars were ever produced.

The entire production run from 98-2002 there were approximately 34k made. Similar to the C5 Z06 production numbers. There were over 200k LS1 C5s produced during the C5 production years.

I have a fair condition 1929 Model A that isn't worth much $$ because Ford produced over 4.8 million Model A's.

Like every other car or motorcycle I've ever purchased/ own/owned they were bought for fun factor not monetary ROI.

Old 11-26-2022, 07:16 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,338 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by dainon
I never expected my '99 to be a collector's item, but in the post-Covid era, it seems the value is slipping despite meticulous maintenance and improvements. I was browsing through several sites today, and it appears the F-body Trans Am is averaging $25K for a low mileage WS6. Are we in an age where the C5 is going to be less desirable? The '99 30th anniversary TA is pulling northward of $50K!

I've only owned my convertible for 5 years now, but I am wondering if putting more money into it at this point will never produce an ROI?

The C5 top sale in this site is obviously an outlier.
https://www.classic.com/m/chevrolet/corvette/c5/

But the TA is making considerable gains and looking to overtake the C5 here:
https://www.classic.com/m/pontiac/fi...-gen/trans-am/

What are your thoughts?
Only YOU can decide if you bought the wrong car. My advice is enjoy the car you have and do with it what makes you happy to hell with resale value.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:34 PM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The WS6 may be a better collector item considering they don't make them any more.. At the end of the day it's still a 4th Gen F-Body, built cheap with cheap parts.. The C5 has cheap interior parts but is miles above a stamped steel unibody.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:15 PM
dainon
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
My thoughts? My thoughts are I wouldnt trade a C5 Corvette for any Trans Am ever built. Period. Sure, if you factor money into the equation, I'm reasonably certain that some Trans Ams are indeed worth more $$ to a collector. But based on performance, stock for stock, there's never been a Trans Am that's been manufactured with more performance than a C5, straight line OR in the corners. There's only one area a C5 can't beat a Trans Am, and that's in available back seat legroom!!
I need a bigger garage. I would love to put a T/A, my C5, and even do I dare say an SN95 era Cobra convert in it. I would own all three if I had deep enough pockets and enough space. But being that I can't, I wish I could see 10 years down the road to which would garner the most attention at a car show, or fetch the highest price when I decide to hang it up. Who knows.. right now my wife is wanting to put money down on the new Blazer EV.. I may not even be buying gas in ten years..

I appreciate your comments though. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's true, anything that can be done to the F-body can be done to the C5 and it will come out on top.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:21 PM
dainon
Instructor

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
Only YOU can decide if you bought the wrong car. My advice is enjoy the car you have and do with it what makes you happy to hell with resale value.
How long do you intend to own it? Do you see yourself driving anything else and wish you had higher resell value to trade up?

Five years in, I don't know if I am ready to move on. I drove it yesterday before a storm front rolled in. Of course, I love the car, but I am pretty sure I would drop the cash on one of those 50th anniversary Lingenfelter 427s if one ever crossed my path. But I would always wonder if the same upgrades on the 40th TA would double the resell?

Old 11-27-2022, 02:28 PM
dainon
Instructor

Originally Posted by RPGR90s
I own a pretty valuable vintage motorcycle but never thought of it as a Collector's Item. For forty + years I rode it all across the country and never worried what it might be worth. Still have it with over 145k on it. I plan on doing the same with my C5 convertible and just enjoying it. You got the wrong car if you bought it for an investment.
I totally get where you are coming from. This was my original intent as well. I bought the car in fair condition knowing I needed to do some restoration to bring it back to it's best self. It's almost there..

But at 25 years old, eventually it will need a new transmission, rear end, the engine needs another 100 horse. I just wonder if when I am done, I will wish it had been done to something else.

Your bike analogy speaks to me. Thanks for the comment.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:23 PM
EVL JAKE
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Yeah you bought the wrong car.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:49 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Well I never bought a Corvette, ( I've had 7 of them) that I expected to become "Investment Grade" But I've never had any trouble selling any of them, but right now Post-Covid the entire auto market is in either a death spiral, OR they cost too much for anyone of meager means to afford. Of course, "Greed" amongst Car Dealers will become a legend long after they have close shop, and gladly so ! But almost any corvette kept in excellent condition and AS STOCK as possible, will bring the best sales. The 5 year cost of a 2021 C8 which due to Covid again, is around $95.000 but in five years, is expected to land around $38.000. And likewise, If you buy in at these times, at these prices, you stand a really good chance of being under water before you get it home. And going forward your going to be behind the ball almost forever. Having said that if you keep it in really clean condition, it will reward you once you get to the point of wanting to sell it ! And I expect the price of a gallon of Gasoline to be somewhere around $7.00 if not higher by 2027. Unless the government steps in and does some kind of nationalization of parts of the entire Petrol Retail sales ends.
Tusc (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 05:56 PM
c5arlen
Melting Slicks

Received 835 Likes on 596 Posts

Did that once... Bought the wrong 6 thousand dallar car...back in the 70's, A Lotus Elan instead of a equal priced Porsche Speedster!
Tusc (11-29-2022)

Quick Reply: Did I pick the wrong car?