Sponsored by:

Best run-flat tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 07:35 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
Not many options out there for run flats.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSea...autoModClar=#0
There's only ONE run flat in that entire bunch, the Michelin. And, apparently as inventory fluctuates, that particular Michelin appears, then disappears, then reappears, with regularity.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:32 PM
Karate Kid
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 50 Posts

I’m to the point of needing tires for my C5, not because they are worn out but because they are 9 years old. A friend who used to be a Discount Manager told me they won’t service them that old for a reason, and if one blows out it could do a lot of damage on the car. I was talking to him about going with Continental tires for the smoother ride than the run flat Michelins and he said that I would lose performance in the curves by not having the thick wall of the run flats. I stopped by a Discount Store yesterday and they were showing me a Perelli P7 run flat but I’m not sure about those. I’ve never had any problems with the Michelins so I’m really leaning that way, if I can find them.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:18 PM
vette4fl
Safety Car

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,311 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Karate Kid
I’m to the point of needing tires for my C5, not because they are worn out but because they are 9 years old. A friend who used to be a Discount Manager told me they won’t service them that old for a reason, and if one blows out it could do a lot of damage on the car. I was talking to him about going with Continental tires for the smoother ride than the run flat Michelins and he said that I would lose performance in the curves by not having the thick wall of the run flats. I stopped by a Discount Store yesterday and they were showing me a Perelli P7 run flat but I’m not sure about those. I’ve never had any problems with the Michelins so I’m really leaning that way, if I can find them.
Are you committed to run craps?
Old 04-07-2024, 05:22 PM
Karate Kid
Instructor

Originally Posted by vette4fl
Are you committed to run craps?
he said that I would lose performance in the curves by not having the thick wall of the run flats”

I do tend to be a little aggressive in the turns, that and I’ve had twice that the run flats kept me from being stranded on the side of the road, but I’m listening to input
Old 04-07-2024, 05:31 PM
vette4fl
Safety Car

Racing tires are not run flats, no? If you’re hitting curbs, well…
Old 04-07-2024, 08:13 PM
bookyoh
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

I went with the Michelin run flats last year and it was the only run flat choice I had from Costco. I have been totally happy with them as well as the old Michelin run flats they replaced. I like the security that I probably will be able to drive to get a flat repaired or limp home if I get a nail or screw in a tire.
The following 2 users liked this post by bookyoh:
Karate Kid (04-08-2024), leadfoot4 (04-08-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 09:38 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

I got the Mich 3+ ZPs a few months ago as they are also the widest OEM tire I could find
(some brands are actually much thinner than the old GYs which look so good!), and were only about 30 bucks more per tire than the Mich 4 A/S non- runflats I was considering. Even shocked the tire sales guy. I like them.
The following users liked this post:
Karate Kid (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 05:49 PM
Karate Kid
Instructor

Racing tires are not run flats, no? If you’re hitting curbs, well…
The theory that Chevrolet (and Discount) had is the stiffer sidewall does not flex as much on a high speed turns giving the car more stability. The exits from one Freeway to another here in Houston can be fun going in around 60 and coming out 80-90 (welcome to Houston, yes we drive like that). Way up on a high narrow bridge at those speeds I don't want to loose any stability because of a lean in the car from a flex in the tires (or bad shocks, they are new also). Just looking for advice, if I was set on anything I wouldn't be asking.
Old 04-08-2024, 09:03 PM
vette4fl
Safety Car

I’ve driven through Miami freeways during rush hour and it’s a free for all. Common to have cars slicing through lanes at triple digits, so I get where you coming from.

My advice is buy high performance summer tires, and forget run flats. A tire wall that flexes in order to provide grip is more beneficial than a stiff wall meant to support the weight of the car without proper inflation, otherwise we would still be driving bias ply tires.
Karate Kid (04-08-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 09:21 PM
BRKLYN
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Own mine since 06, never bought run flats (run craps) is what they referred to them. I repair my own, I know industry has taught to patch, I’ve never had a problem from my two or three repairs.
Karate Kid (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 10:27 AM
Midwayman
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

The best run flat is a can of fix a flat in the trunk. Seriously how often are you getting flats that it is a big concern?
Old 04-12-2024, 10:54 AM
Karate Kid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Midwayman
The best run flat is a can of fix a flat in the trunk. Seriously how often are you getting flats that it is a big concern?

Yea, I'm giving consideration to getting some Continental Touring Tires (much smoother ride) and just carry a plug kit and a Milwaukee Inflator. I'm like vette4fl (oops, it was brklyn talking about fixing tires), I've plugged several tires in my life and never had problems.
Here in the houston area I've had 3 times with a nail in my tire, one time on the way back from Galveston and found a Discount Tire 5 minutes before closing time.

Last edited by Karate Kid; 04-12-2024 at 11:46 AM.
Discount Tire (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 11:43 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I’ve driven through Miami freeways during rush hour and it’s a free for all. Common to have cars slicing through lanes at triple digits, so I get where you coming from.
So, driving in those conditions, you'd prefer a non run flat, and try to fix your tire on the side of the road??
Old 04-12-2024, 11:51 AM
Karate Kid
Instructor

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
So, driving in those conditions, you'd prefer a non run flat, and try to fix your tire on the side of the road??
I've never minded the run flats other than the rough ride, it's not a daily driver so I can deal with the rough ride to a point. My luck if I don't get run flats I'll find a nail every time I take it out.
If it wern't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Midwayman
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Of course not. However the other 99.99% of the time I'm driving I'd prefer non-run flats. In my entire life I have had a flat on the highway where being able to drive to an exit ramp would be an advantage exactly once. Every other flat has been somewhere on a surface street where is was no big deal. Even then those are a small handful of times in driving for many decades. Most of the time its slow leak with a nail that I only notice at home the next morning. Those I either patch myself or air up and drive to a shop. Optimizing for such a rare event makes zero sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by Midwayman:
USAZR1 (04-12-2024), vette4fl (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 12:51 PM
vette4fl
Safety Car

That was just driving back north from Key West. To answer your question, of course I would not want to be on the side of the road with a flat. On the other hand, I have never been on the side of the road with a flat. I do carry a pump and plug kit, and I have AAA.

I have picked up a few screws over time, but those are slow leaks. The low pressure light comes on and there’s plenty of time to pull off and find a repair shop. Based on my experiences with run flats, I prefer the much better ride of non run flats.
The following 2 users liked this post by vette4fl:
Karate Kid (04-12-2024), USAZR1 (04-12-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 06:38 PM
EljayK004
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put the Michelin Pilot All Season 4 on C6 rims in stock C6 sizes. I personally think they drive great. No issues with noise, they also perform great in both the dry and wet. I'm not changing tires on the side of the freeway anymore and I'm not all that fond of waiting 2 hours for AAA even though I have the premier membership.
The following 2 users liked this post by EljayK004:
Karate Kid (04-13-2024), leadfoot4 (04-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Best run-flat tire