Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] New upgrades: Coilovers, HPI mount, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 09:35 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,202 Posts

What made you choose Silvers coilovers? You don't strike me as a "get it done cheap" type of car owner judging by some of your previous comments so I assume price as not a major factor?

These keep popping up and admittedly I don't know much about them since I don't know anyone with them. Just curious on the purchasing factors over the "typical" DRM/Bilstein/Ridetech/Viking/BC Racing/LG
Old 06-29-2022, 03:36 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Received 726 Likes on 513 Posts

Glad I'm not the only one that notices a little too much bouncing in the rear with 12k/10k setup. I can't imagine a "standard" 12k/8k setup haha. I think 12k/12k would suit the car better, but the 12k/10k perform very well, it's just a small "comfort" annoyance. I do find the coilovers to be pretty darn easy to adjust though, what difficulties are you running into? Car looks great as always!
The following users liked this post:
FYRARMS (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 04:41 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kubs
I would also check out the Hawk Performance Ceramic. They have a really good initial bite at cold street temperatures, which makes the braking feel awesome, but are very low dust as well. The bite is similar to the feel of HPS.
Thanks. My concern is that ceramics pads have stained my original set of Baer Eradispeed rotors so I want to make sure if get pads that won't stain any new rotors I install.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:24 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,238 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919
What made you choose Silvers coilovers? You don't strike me as a "get it done cheap" type of car owner judging by some of your previous comments so I assume price as not a major factor?

These keep popping up and admittedly I don't know much about them since I don't know anyone with them. Just curious on the purchasing factors over the "typical" DRM/Bilstein/Ridetech/Viking/BC Racing/LG
Price is always a factor when I purchase something. The price I pay is based on a few factors. In the case of the coilovers, 90% of the car's use is spirited street driving, and maybe 10% autocross. And, likely on the same street tires. I just didn't need to spend twice as much as I did. Of the choices you listed, the only pricey option I would have chosen is Ridetech, as I have ridden in a Ridetech-equipped C5Z, and the street ride qualities were very good for a track-spec coilover. If I was building a more track-focused car, I would have run with Ridetechs.

The Silver's have a good rep, are used on the track, have great customer service via FI Performance, they ride pretty nicely, and were a good bargain.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:16 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,318 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty2919

Brian is a good vendor. Can't knock him. And he finds legitimately good products from smaller vendors and pushes them into the firing line. I respect that. But the reason you see silvers everywhere is because he is the only person selling coilovers to the C5/6/7 market who is actually MARKETING the product. And he's doing so endlessly and shamelessly to the point that it clogs my feed sometimes on six different pages on fb. LOL. The man's gotta eat, and so do his dogs. And so we have seen silver hammer the market in the past two years. They're also cheap for what they offer. Though I don't equate low cost to low function or quality.

Bear in mind, also, that typical buyers know nothing of suspension, suspension settings, etc. They're trying to get low and hear coilovers are a performance way to. Relatively few are hitting the strip or the track with them. With the general lack of knowledge or experienced advice comparing products this part of the market is left with "Thag, you buy-um silver. Me has silver too. You look like wet mammoth if you no buy silver too." Herd wisdom like "don't buy a lightweight flywheel." Oy.

I've been curious about them myself and was considering doing a comparison to my RideTechs if I were keeping the coupe for long after the Z hits the street. Oops! Got married! Money is going in other directions soon. But a comparison of coilovers would be great since there is no quantitative review and there are well over 20 brands offered for C5s.

I digress.

I have V12s on my daily with the summer wheels. Hate them. They're bricks. The only good thing about them is I can leave a hundred foot strip with ease and break them free at will. But these are 285 rears. I've ran different Advans on my S600 in the past and been happy.
​​​​
HPI...I haven't owned one, but I did have the pFadt (appears to be the same?) on the coupe until I de-modded it and never had any noise or nvh. I also ditched the weight on the trans. Though both my cars are sound deadened.

I am jealous of your presumed level driving where you live. I bottomed out the RideTechs and it looked totally sick​​​​​, but I quickly tired of planning every approach or doing last second weaves to save the nose around here in CT. In the end that car was set to nearly the highest setting which was two fingers on each wheel. Results may vary, I've got murder mits.
​​
FYRARMS (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 12:32 AM
Johnson 92
Safety Car

Received 334 Likes on 90 Posts
C5 of the Month 6/13

Looks amazing!
FYRARMS (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 11:26 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
The wheels were built to clear C6Z calipers, so I have plenty of clearance, as the Wilwoods aren't as tall. Meaning, they don't stick outward as much as C6Z units. CCW has center spoke designs made for clearing big brakes, but nor sure which ones you have.

I haven't noticed any staining, but I clean my wheels and brakes often, so I don't let anything sit on there very long. The HP-S pads dust more than OEM pads, but much less than the race-spec Wilwoods did.

Thanks. When you originally swapped in the Wildwood calipers, did you re-use the OEM brackets or do they use new brackets to work with either the OEM rotors or the new PowerStop rotors?
Old 06-30-2022, 02:20 PM
Grapela
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for fyrearms on the coilovers.
1) Would it be possible to measure the distance under your drivers door from the bottom of the car to the ground sitting flat at the height your car sits now based on the pictures? How many inches? I have 18 inch ccw lm20's and am lowered all the way on stock bolts but hate the wheel gap so I have looked at these coilovers to get the car down properly, my issue is my driveway specifically when the front wheels are in the garage and the back wheels are on the driveway. I have maybe an inch I can go down to safely get in my garage without scraping, but and inch or inch and a quarter will change the look of the car. Also if I need to adjust this coilover to raise the car how long does that process take? I am in lisle close to you how is driving around chicagoland at that height?

thanks
Old 06-30-2022, 03:45 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Received 726 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Tusc
Brian is a good vendor. Can't knock him. And he finds legitimately good products from smaller vendors and pushes them into the firing line. I respect that. But the reason you see silvers everywhere is because he is the only person selling coilovers to the C5/6/7 market who is actually MARKETING the product. And he's doing so endlessly and shamelessly to the point that it clogs my feed sometimes on six different pages on fb. LOL. The man's gotta eat, and so do his dogs. And so we have seen silver hammer the market in the past two years. They're also cheap for what they offer. Though I don't equate low cost to low function or quality.

Bear in mind, also, that typical buyers know nothing of suspension, suspension settings, etc. They're trying to get low and hear coilovers are a performance way to. Relatively few are hitting the strip or the track with them. With the general lack of knowledge or experienced advice comparing products this part of the market is left with "Thag, you buy-um silver. Me has silver too. You look like wet mammoth if you no buy silver too." Herd wisdom like "don't buy a lightweight flywheel." Oy.

I've been curious about them myself and was considering doing a comparison to my RideTechs if I were keeping the coupe for long after the Z hits the street. Oops! Got married! Money is going in other directions soon. But a comparison of coilovers would be great since there is no quantitative review and there are well over 20 brands offered for C5s.

I digress.

I have V12s on my daily with the summer wheels. Hate them. They're bricks. The only good thing about them is I can leave a hundred foot strip with ease and break them free at will. But these are 285 rears. I've ran different Advans on my S600 in the past and been happy.
​​​​
HPI...I haven't owned one, but I did have the pFadt (appears to be the same?) on the coupe until I de-modded it and never had any noise or nvh. I also ditched the weight on the trans. Though both my cars are sound deadened.

I am jealous of your presumed level driving where you live. I bottomed out the RideTechs and it looked totally sick​​​​​, but I quickly tired of planning every approach or doing last second weaves to save the nose around here in CT. In the end that car was set to nearly the highest setting which was two fingers on each wheel. Results may vary, I've got murder mits.
​​
100% agree with you no Silver's being the "go-to" in some groups due to Brian's marketing and following. Knowing that, I did research a few different options around that price point and still decided Silvers were what I wanted over the others. "Relatively few" hitting the track with them is true to a degree I suppose, but there are still plenty that do "use" them in 1xxxhp drag, drift, etc applications and with all of the talk of them, I haven't come across one complaint. I certainly haven't been disappointed with at least a few hours of mountain carving with them so far.

I've also been running the V12s (325/30/19, 275/35/18) for about a year now as they came with the wheels I bought. I honestly figured they'd be trash, but I've been unexpectedly pretty darn impressed with them. With TC on only, they hook well (500whp with 4.10s) and cornering grip has been surprisingly good. They've impressed me enough that I'm considering buying another set soon and I never thought a street tire below something like a Pilot 4S would be in the cards for me again. I see love and hate for every tire, so I know everyone has different experiences, weather, etc, but I'm really surprised these get a bad rap. I've had Toyo R888s and MT Street SS as well, so I'm not just comparing them to runflats or other cheap summer tires haha.
The following 3 users liked this post by heggsc5:
FYRARMS (06-30-2022), Tusc (06-30-2022), USAZR1 (07-05-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 07:19 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks. When you originally swapped in the Wildwood calipers, did you re-use the OEM brackets or do they use new brackets to work with either the OEM rotors or the new PowerStop rotors?
The calipers come with brackets. They are made to be used with C6 Z06/Grand Sport front rotors and C6 Z51 rear rotors.
MSG C5 (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 07:29 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Grapela
Question for fyrearms on the coilovers.
1) Would it be possible to measure the distance under your drivers door from the bottom of the car to the ground sitting flat at the height your car sits now based on the pictures? How many inches? I have 18 inch ccw lm20's and am lowered all the way on stock bolts but hate the wheel gap so I have looked at these coilovers to get the car down properly, my issue is my driveway specifically when the front wheels are in the garage and the back wheels are on the driveway. I have maybe an inch I can go down to safely get in my garage without scraping, but and inch or inch and a quarter will change the look of the car. Also if I need to adjust this coilover to raise the car how long does that process take? I am in lisle close to you how is driving around chicagoland at that height?

thanks
I will try to remember to grab a measurement when possible. My current ride height isn't really any lower than the height some C5s sit at when lowered down all the way on the OEM bolts. My previous C5Z sat lower, and it just had aftermarket bolts and OEM leaf springs. To avoid excess scraping, you just have to be very aware when driving. The front air dam is really the only thing that scrapes (as expected) when entering or exiting driveways and such. Occasionally on the road at speed when driving over dips in the road. I can't really give you a time estimate o adjusting the height. We did the adjusting at a friend's shop on a lift. I know the fronts weren't too bad, but to adjust the height of the rears, he removed the wheels and actually partially disassembled the coilover to make turning the collar easier. We measured each fender lip height from the ground on each side to get them as even as possible.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:23 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,318 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by heggsc5
100% agree with you no Silver's being the "go-to" in some groups due to Brian's marketing and following. Knowing that, I did research a few different options around that price point and still decided Silvers were what I wanted over the others. "Relatively few" hitting the track with them is true to a degree I suppose, but there are still plenty that do "use" them in 1xxxhp drag, drift, etc applications and with all of the talk of them, I haven't come across one complaint. I certainly haven't been disappointed with at least a few hours of mountain carving with them so far.

I've also been running the V12s (325/30/19, 275/35/18) for about a year now as they came with the wheels I bought. I honestly figured they'd be trash, but I've been unexpectedly pretty darn impressed with them. With TC on only, they hook well (500whp with 4.10s) and cornering grip has been surprisingly good. They've impressed me enough that I'm considering buying another set soon and I never thought a street tire below something like a Pilot 4S would be in the cards for me again. I see love and hate for every tire, so I know everyone has different experiences, weather, etc, but I'm really surprised these get a bad rap. I've had Toyo R888s and MT Street SS as well, so I'm not just comparing them to runflats or other cheap summer tires haha.
Tires are always a trial. I have never invested in Michelins and would like to someday, but the cost has always been prohibitive and I have always found comparable tires for less which fit the bill. The tires I have been happiest with for my performance / size / price matrix no longer exist - the Bridgestone RE-11s. The set I have will have to be cooked off this year or risk trusting an aging tire on a fresh high power ride. I have a spare set of the same brand's RE050A tires which, also, are apparently now discontinued??? (I just learned this when I checked my order history to confirm tire models) Well, they were the last run made and still fresh and sticky in the finished basement. The new wife doesn't mind this so much as the RE-11 / CCW SP500s stacked in the corner of the gym. Yes.... I am THAT guy. To go back on topic, the RE-11s handled 500rw 10psi like nothing and handled very well. The 050As will be up at bat before long on the CCWs behind the 402 as driver tires. I have yet to decide an alternate wheel set for that car. Definitely a spare pair of something for ET Street SS or similar. And I was thinking of getting a fresh set of C5 Z wheels in 18" square to run the Nankang AR-1 or NS-2R - but that is a concept only. I have to see what the car needs first.

I should write down whatever all-season tires I've been running for my winter daily setup. I "think" they are Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetricals? Even when the car was supercharged I can say they offered really great wet and dry traction. Non-supercharged, they have made very effective winter driving tires for the 99. Ice. Snow. If you drive the car gentle it got to work every day, which.... as the boss of a 24-hour healthcare operation..... I really used every inch of leverage on staff to say, "Guys. If I could get to work on time driving through the hills and twice the distance of you in this storm you have NO excuse to not be at work today." They really had no argument to offer. It was great.

Old 07-01-2022, 08:30 AM
Toys4Life C5
Drifting

Received 1,250 Likes on 547 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by jdmvette

Happy to report that after pulling my HPI mount and replacing it with a new rubber one (including dingleballs), the diff whine I have had since day one of HPI installation is GONE.

@FYRARMS if you find that your 5th/6th gear freeway cruising whine eventually becomes too much to bear (like I did), returning to a rubber mount will indeed make her quiet once again

I have had the HPI mount for a couple of years with an M6 2003 C5. I do notice some gear noise/vibration typically cruising at 30-40 but I wouldn't call it obnoxious or unbearable like exhaust drone can be. I don't notice it cruising at 70 mph at all. There is a reason GM put a big cushy chunk of rubber in that mount - because the NHV (Noise Harshness Vibration) team made them do it to get rid of any noise. The cost is that under hard launches the mount deflects & moves quite a bit (I made a video that records the deflection in action because I was curious) and absolutely contributes to drivetrain shake in the event you lose any traction. Personal choice 4 sure - I am keeping mine, but understand that many would prefer peace and quiet. Also- notice the C5 went to a dual mount design. I would assume GM tried to firm it up a bit while not introducing any additional NHV to the vehicle. Just some additional food for thought.

Cheers.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:19 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Originally Posted by heggsc5
Glad I'm not the only one that notices a little too much bouncing in the rear with 12k/10k setup. I can't imagine a "standard" 12k/8k setup haha. I think 12k/12k would suit the car better, but the 12k/10k perform very well, it's just a small "comfort" annoyance. I do find the coilovers to be pretty darn easy to adjust though, what difficulties are you running into? Car looks great as always!
I assume the Silvers are low speed Rebound adjustable only? "Bouncy" could be a mismatch shock adjustment to the spring rates you have. It could be a front to back ride frequency issue as well. Try "stiffening" the shocks to until the car stops bouncing. IMO if you hit a "whoop" style bump the car should compress/dip then rebound back up then settle to ride height without oscillating. 12k/10k is fairly common combo. I run Viking with 550lb Fr / 600lb RR. I run more in the back due to the different motion ratio and increased angle of the shocks which takes away slightly from the 600lb rear springs. So for a 50lb spread and the motion ratio differences, you could say I run a fairly "square" spring combo. You are running similar spring rates but flipped front to back.
12k = 670lb/in
10k = 560lb/in

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
Price is always a factor when I purchase something. The price I pay is based on a few factors. In the case of the coilovers, 90% of the car's use is spirited street driving, and maybe 10% autocross. And, likely on the same street tires. I just didn't need to spend twice as much as I did. Of the choices you listed, the only pricey option I would have chosen is Ridetech, as I have ridden in a Ridetech-equipped C5Z, and the street ride qualities were very good for a track-spec coilover. If I was building a more track-focused car, I would have run with Ridetechs.

The Silver's have a good rep, are used on the track, have great customer service via FI Performance, they ride pretty nicely, and were a good bargain.
I can say that going from Ridetech (mono tube Rebound adjustable only) to Viking (twin tube and triple adjustable) and keeping the same advertised spring rates (Ridetech was Hyperco springs and Viking are....Viking?), I have been able to maintain the same ride comfort/quality..at least I can't notice any difference. I swapped out the RT since they were too cumbersome to adjust at autocross. Vikings are SO much easier. Good to see another offering for coilovers. I can't see myself getting rid of my Vikings for any reason. I'm only on the Warrior valving which is more street friendly. They also offer a more race oriented valving id needed.
The following 2 users liked this post by smitty2919:
miami993c297 (07-05-2022), Tusc (07-05-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 07:49 PM
USAZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,086 Posts

The current ride height looks really good, Dan. Those coilovers did a nice job getting the stance nailed.
Good to see you trying the 325's, also. I loved my Hankooks.
FYRARMS (07-05-2022)

Quick Reply: [Z06] New upgrades: Coilovers, HPI mount, etc.