Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 05:14 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

I won't comment on the C1 other than to say it's gorgeous. I don't know enough about current C1 pricing to make a suggestion.

My number one suggestion for the Z06 before I even get into pricing would be to use new pictures. Pretty much everything you posted was taken in 2013 (around when you bought it). If I was buying a C5, and asked the seller for pictures, I would want to see newer pics. I'm not saying your car doesn't look just like that now, but as a buyer when I see a date from 9 years ago on the pics, that is a HUGE red flag. Especially when I know the car has been significantly modified since those were taken. The mods you listed will be a nice bonus for those who want them, but the reality is that they do shrink your pool of potential buyers. I think to the right buyer, that car could go around $30K. I'd probably be willing to go as low as $28K. Unfortunately, you're not really going to get anything extra for those mods. Honestly, my advice would be to keep the car. Once you've modded to that level, there's no way to sell without losing money. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by MWWarlord:
richg04 (06-21-2022), vette4fl (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 05:47 PM
DEBrahms
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Warlord ... I appreciate your comments. If I ever get a serious response about either of these, I'll do all new pictures, even though both cars look at least as good as they do in these old ones. You're right about the red flag, though.

I also think you're right about the mods not adding any value. Your $30K number would do it for me, but with things the way they are now in the economy, that might not happen.

I mentioned before that I'm kind of on the fence about parting with these two. I may end up keeping them rather than frustrating myself with unsuccessful attempts to sell. I was thinking of taking them to local club events and doing real-time, in-person, word-of-mouth marketing. Seeing either of these two sitting in bright sunlight (especially the C1) is impressive.

Thanks again for your time and opinions.

Dave
The following users liked this post:
MWWarlord (06-21-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 03:23 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by DEBrahms
Armchair ... >>they'll sell as long as they are priced correctly<<

That's the hard part. There's no magic formula for figuring out that number.

Dave
Take a look at ebay, then click the "sold listings" filter on the left side to see actual selling prices. You can also check others' asking prices on this forum, ebay, and craigslist, but just keep in mind asking prices are typically higher than the prices cars actually sell for.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:54 PM
DEBrahms
Racer

Armchair ... Excellent suggestions. Thank you.

I've also been tracking C5Z sale prices on Bring-a-Trailer (BaT) and Cars-And-Bids. The top sale numbers are in the high $20K region. Rarely do you see a C5Z go for over $30K.

Dave
Old 06-22-2022, 07:55 AM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

My philosophy of life has always been to treat others the way I would like to be treated. There's the rub.
You and I had share a common thing. A common way of treating others with a certain amount of mutual respect. Which is Gods 2nd highest command. Something that used to be a generally understood societal norm. But not these days!

These days I really loath buying and selling cars. I will always do it on a personal basis because I get the best deals that way. But its not fun.
I'd guess your 58 would be a more pleasant experience because of the type of buyer?

Also over the last 20yrs I've had the most success and least troublesome buyers through cars dot com.
My worst experiences was with consignment shops. <-- I really regret going that route as they do NOT care about anything but their cut.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:28 AM
DEBrahms
Racer

wydopnthrtl ... Agreed. Mutual respect is hard to come by these days, especially when selling stuff, and specifically when selling cars. As others have mentioned above in this thread, the anonymity of Internet communications opens the door for marginal behavior from anyone so minded. Personal contact, as you mention, is the way to go, IMO. My Dad always told me that you can tell a lot about a person by the firmness of his or her handshake. While there are some exceptions to that general rule, I have found it to be true.

I've considered trying a consignment shop for selling my 'Vettes, but my "little man" (as Seinfeld's Kramer calls it) says, "Don't do it." So, I won't. Beside taking a significant cut of the sale price, consignment shops have control over the deal, and that bothers me. I want to know how the car is represented and not have something said about it that is misleading or isn't true. Hiring a middleman to sell a car can really muddy the waters, in my view.

Thanks for the tip on cars dot com. I'll check it out.

Dave
Old 06-22-2022, 06:19 PM
gimp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 281 Posts

Selling a modified car is gonna be hard. Is that a $30k car? It might be to some people. I wouldn't pay $30k for it though. Also, respectfully, the photos of the C1 are pretty mediocre, with very little detail visible, and the photos of the C5 are hilariously outdated. Grab yourself even just a good smartphone camera, read up a bit on framing and lighting, and get some better photos out there.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:59 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Warlord ... I appreciate your comments. If I ever get a serious response about either of these, I'll do all new pictures, even though both cars look at least as good as they do in these old ones. You're right about the red flag, though.

I also think you're right about the mods not adding any value. Your $30K number would do it for me, but with things the way they are now in the economy, that might not happen.

I mentioned before that I'm kind of on the fence about parting with these two. I may end up keeping them rather than frustrating myself with unsuccessful attempts to sell. I was thinking of taking them to local club events and doing real-time, in-person, word-of-mouth marketing. Seeing either of these two sitting in bright sunlight (especially the C1) is impressive.

Thanks again for your time and opinions.

Dave
I am going to have to disagree with the idea of waiting for contact to send updated pictures. The Z06 is what i would consider highly modified. If you want to get the most money for it, you really need to post up to date pictures. Especially the engine compartment. Buying a modified sports car is a scary proposition for many. I assume yours was built right and is strong and reliable. If you want people to respond to you, you need to grab their attention by putting concerns to rest right away. It's the old, you have one chance to make a first impression.

Old 06-27-2022, 06:01 PM
Charles Bronson
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been in the market for a lower mileage (sub 50K) bonestock 2003-2004 C5Z for about 3 months now. I watch cars.com, Autotrader, etc. daily. The asking prices are stupid high and typically range from $30K to $45K. What makes no sense to me is how dealers can sit on these cars for months on end without adjusting the price or occasionally adjusting the price down a few hundred bucks. Simply put, the stock C5Zs aren't selling because dealers and private sellers are asking way too much for them. The cars just sit and sit on the sales sites. It's gotten worse too over the past month because more and more C5Zs are being added because people see what the asking prices are. Little do they know the cars aren't selling.

I get that the C5Z is becoming a classic, but a C5Z should not be experiencing the same exorbitantly high and elevated used car pricing as these cars are going to be people's primary mode of transportation, but rather fun cars for weekend use. I'm willing to spend $25-28K for a prime example, but even then I feel like I'm paying too much as I know how much these cars were selling for just a 1 year ago. I'm patient though and I think many other perspective buyers are too.

Lastly, modded C5Zs tend go for a bit lot cheaper, at least that what I'm seeing with the asking prices.

Quick Reply: Non-Responsiveness of Potential Buyers