Sponsored by:

Battery cables

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 05:05 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

Default Battery cables

Wondering if anyone has a link for the exact replacement of these battery “bolts” that fit perfectly for C5’s. I’ve read many posts where they are available from parts stores but people have said they are either too long or too short. Looking for an exact replacement. (I don’t want to replace the full cables.) Thanks!

Old 03-25-2022, 07:12 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

IIRC, I got my new bolts from the "Help" rack that many auto parts stores offer. Hopefully they'll be the correct length. Save at least one of your old terminal bolts for reference. Don't buy anything shorter!! If they're too long, you can run a jam nut on the bolt, then carefully grind the end of the bolt to the correct length. The nut can then be threaded off the terminal bolt to "chase" any burrs off the end of the thread. Best of luck to you........

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 03-26-2022 at 11:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bruss (04-02-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 07:23 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Ok. Many thanks.
Old 03-26-2022, 10:01 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I am pretty sure the stock fasteners in the later years had slightly different head sizes, as the above picture shows, in an attempt to help prevent incorrect battery installation upon service I had never really noticed pictures , but had read the information and my 2003 has two different bolt head sizes. they are of such similar size that all it really helped me was to carelessly round off a bit of the smaller bolt head with my dedicated for Gm side mount batteries little wrench I bought. I doh't have much hope the dealer is still interested in such parts, but also don't like rounded fastener heads, so will check.
Old 03-27-2022, 02:46 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Originally Posted by strand rider
I am pretty sure the stock fasteners in the later years had slightly different head sizes, as the above picture shows, in an attempt to help prevent incorrect battery installation upon service I had never really noticed pictures , but had read the information and my 2003 has two different bolt head sizes. they are of such similar size that all it really helped me was to carelessly round off a bit of the smaller bolt head with my dedicated for Gm side mount batteries little wrench I bought. I doh't have much hope the dealer is still interested in such parts, but also don't like rounded fastener heads, so will check.
Different size heads I understand, but I doubt any change in thread size, which on my car is 3/8-16, IIRC. I bought a new battery last Summer. When I tried to tighten the terminal bolts, the + red side was good to go. The - black side terminal wouldn't tighten. When I checked the diameter of the thread, which should've been approximately. 370"-.373", I was surprised the bolt measured only .350"!!! No wonder. So, off I went to the 'help' kiosk@the auto parts store. The bolts (they come in a package of 2, of course) were maybe 1/16" too long. I didn't want to risk bottoming into the plastic battery, causing an acid leak, so I got a 3/8-16 jam nut, threaded it onto the new bolt, and ground off roughly 1/16", then threaded the nut off the bolt. Worked like a brand new bolt should, no issues!!
Old 03-27-2022, 03:34 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by grinder11
Different size heads I understand, but I doubt any change in thread size, which on my car is 3/8-16, IIRC. I bought a new battery last Summer. When I tried to tighten the terminal bolts, the + red side was good to go. The - black side terminal wouldn't tighten. When I checked the diameter of the thread, which should've been approximately. 370"-.373", I was surprised the bolt measured only .350"!!! No wonder. So, off I went to the 'help' kiosk@the auto parts store. The bolts (they come in a package of 2, of course) were maybe 1/16" too long. I didn't want to risk bottoming into the plastic battery, causing an acid leak, so I got a 3/8-16 jam nut, threaded it onto the new bolt, and ground off roughly 1/16", then threaded the nut off the bolt. Worked like a brand new bolt should, no issues!!
This is the exact issue I’m having. Positive is fine. Negative will turn and then just release. I assumed it was cross-threaded because I never had this issue before.

im trying to buy some used cables and also the auto parts store “bolts” to make a decision. Getting the bolt out of the cable sleeve also looks difficult without damaging the sleeve.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:37 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Originally Posted by STRMLNE
This is the exact issue I’m having. Positive is fine. Negative will turn and then just release. I assumed it was cross-threaded because I never had this issue before.

im trying to buy some used cables and also the auto parts store “bolts” to make a decision. Getting the bolt out of the cable sleeve also looks difficult without damaging the sleeve.
It's not bad, I had no problem. IIRC, I used vice grips to pull hard on the bolt head......
Old 04-02-2022, 12:17 PM
lasthotrod
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Relate Topic

Read other post about pulling specific fuses to protect computers. Are you guys pulling fuses when doing battery work??

If so which ones. Cant find old thread

Thanks
Old 04-02-2022, 12:35 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lasthotrod
Relate Topic

Read other post about pulling specific fuses to protect computers. Are you guys pulling fuses when doing battery work??

If so which ones. Cant find old thread

Thanks
i disconnected both terminals.
Old 04-02-2022, 07:48 PM
Prop Joe
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 263 Posts

Just bought my new to me 1998 C5 and the Chineasium ones the previous owner installed stripped when I installed the LMC5 even with my nice 6-point, Snap-On, ratcheting box end, terminal wrench, I've had for decades... .
I'm waiting on the new GM bolts from Rock Auto as I type.
Here ya go:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m19115561.html
Part:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ac...l+bolt,1000917

Old 04-02-2022, 07:55 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Thanks. Yeah, the op in the thread you linked is me.
Prop Joe (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 10:09 PM
Prop Joe
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 263 Posts

Couple of things I've noticed over the years dealing with GM side post batteries.
Use channel lock, er' slip joint pliers to force the terminal bolts(s) out of the plastic on the end of the battery cable. Keep in mind that the female thread in the battery is lead, as in, extremely soft and easy to strip/cross thread/booger.
Somewhat Corvette specific, due to space. Stuff some rags or towels in the openings down low so you don't have to remove the battery tray to fetch the stuff you may drop...
81Delorean (04-03-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Battery cables

Quick Reply: Battery cables