Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at this 04 C5 on Sat - price? negotiate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 12:05 PM
ShadyLady
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking at this 04 C5 on Sat - price? negotiate?

Hi! Looking at this on Sat.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/b...-d2431245684c/

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=WDB_0&vin=1G1YY32GX45 104939

I am used to negotiating on new and recent used (regular cars!) I do very well!

This is a different animal!!

I am looking at NADA, KBB, TrueCar and comparable listings. I want to of course not spend more than I should. Any and all advise on this is so welcome!!

Thank you!!
ETA the Carfax!

Last edited by ShadyLady; 03-24-2022 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Add
Old 03-24-2022, 12:11 PM
frodo84
Uneducated overachiever
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Do you have a CarFax or similar report on it?
Old 03-24-2022, 12:39 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

That is a fantastic, and very desirable color. In the pictures the car looks to be in pretty good shape. One of the aftermarket mud flaps is missing. If you decide to buy the car, I would just remove the remaining 3. It's close enough to you that you shouldn't have any issues getting a pre-purchase inspection done. There are no pictures of the engine bay. I would check the date code on the tires. Even if they have plenty of tread, if they're over 6 years old, they need to be replaced. You can use this as a negotiation point if they're old. The car is both a convertible and a 6 speed. Unfortunately, both of those things tend to push the price of the car up a bit. Honestly, C5 prices are way up across the board so you'll have to pay a premium for any C5 in good condition right now. Just before the pandemic, you might have been able to find a car like this for under $20K. I paid $21K for my '04 magnetic red vert in 2013. In today's market though, the asking price isn't too far off. You could try to get them down to $23K, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they don't have much wiggle room on the price. If you're okay with $25K, you certainly aren't getting ripped off at that price. Of course ALL of this would be contingent upon a good pre-purchase inspection. Also you need to be aware that there was a fuel tank issue in some of the '04 cars. If the VIN on this car is outside the range for that, then it isn't an issue. If it IS in the range for that issue, I would insist on documentation showing that the issue has already been resolved. Without that documentation, walk away. Good luck! I hope everything works out well for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by MWWarlord:
astroboy (03-24-2022), ShadyLady (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 12:45 PM
ThomasR
Melting Slicks

Received 681 Likes on 413 Posts

One source of history:

Nothing interesting here, just lots of passed inspection, registration renewed, new owner reported.

The following users liked this post:
ShadyLady (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 12:51 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

This car’s year, vert, mileage, and 6 speed all boost the price up compared to other C5’s for sale. All things considered $25k is not too bad of an ask price.

you’re probably half way through the clutch life. I agree that a full independent PPI is necessary. Especially looking for oil leaks and trans/diff leaks. Those can be very expensive. Also check tire life ($1k) and brakes. And obviously confirm no accidents, repaint etc.

in today’s absolutely crazy market, $20k would be a great deal, but $22.5 would a good deal, and $23.5 is probably their bottom line.
ShadyLady (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 12:58 PM
richg04
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I second taking a close look at the date codes on the tires. I looked at a bunch of C5 and C6's and every single one needed new tires. That's a $1K+ expense.
The following 4 users liked this post by richg04:
Bruss (03-24-2022), c5arlen (03-27-2022), jcgunn (03-24-2022), ShadyLady (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 04:11 PM
ShadyLady
Advanced

Originally Posted by STRMLNE
This car’s year, vert, mileage, and 6 speed all boost the price up compared to other C5’s for sale. All things considered $25k is not too bad of an ask price.

you’re probably half way through the clutch life. I agree that a full independent PPI is necessary. Especially looking for oil leaks and trans/diff leaks. Those can be very expensive. Also check tire life ($1k) and brakes. And obviously confirm no accidents, repaint etc.

in today’s absolutely crazy market, $20k would be a great deal, but $22.5 would a good deal, and $23.5 is probably their bottom line.

Appreciate all of that!!! Especially bottom line. I'll go low, can always go up.... Can't go back down!
Old 03-24-2022, 04:24 PM
dbraver2
Melting Slicks

Received 142 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This car is dirty, has a regular plate on it, and the inspection stickers are on it. Looks like the dealership listed it for a friend or good customer. Plus (in my opinion), a crappy looking radio. DEFINITELY have it looked at before purchase. Also, I'd want to speak to the owner of the car if this is the case. Just my .02!
ShadyLady (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 04:28 PM
ShadyLady
Advanced

Originally Posted by MWWarlord
That is a fantastic, and very desirable color. In the pictures the car looks to be in pretty good shape. One of the aftermarket mud flaps is missing. If you decide to buy the car, I would just remove the remaining 3. It's close enough to you that you shouldn't have any issues getting a pre-purchase inspection done. There are no pictures of the engine bay. I would check the date code on the tires. Even if they have plenty of tread, if they're over 6 years old, they need to be replaced. You can use this as a negotiation point if they're old. The car is both a convertible and a 6 speed. Unfortunately, both of those things tend to push the price of the car up a bit. Honestly, C5 prices are way up across the board so you'll have to pay a premium for any C5 in good condition right now. Just before the pandemic, you might have been able to find a car like this for under $20K. I paid $21K for my '04 magnetic red vert in 2013. In today's market though, the asking price isn't too far off. You could try to get them down to $23K, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they don't have much wiggle room on the price. If you're okay with $25K, you certainly aren't getting ripped off at that price. Of course ALL of this would be contingent upon a good pre-purchase inspection. Also you need to be aware that there was a fuel tank issue in some of the '04 cars. If the VIN on this car is outside the range for that, then it isn't an issue. If it IS in the range for that issue, I would insist on documentation showing that the issue has already been resolved. Without that documentation, walk away. Good luck! I hope everything works out well for you.
Mudflaps! Wow I am def toooo mezerized by the shiny machine!!!?

Whatcha doin Saturday????
Old 03-24-2022, 04:36 PM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

2 cents worth , that is pricey I sold my wife's 2004 torch red , in very very good condition, with a few upgrades on it , for less than that in CDN $ R

Old 03-24-2022, 04:38 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by dbraver2
This car is dirty, has a regular plate on it, and the inspection stickers are on it. Looks like the dealership listed it for a friend or good customer. Plus (in my opinion), a crappy looking radio. DEFINITELY have it looked at before purchase. Also, I'd want to speak to the owner of the car if this is the case. Just my .02!
i def agree the car needs to be detailed. And probably has oem tires. The shifter is showing some yellowing. The radio is aftermarket, but golly, it’s hard to find any C5’s that are totally stock these days. Next to impossible. aftermarket mud flaps can be removed.

im not totally concerned with the license plate. In some states the plate stays with the car. Not sure what the rules are in this state.

I’d bet the car will be cleaned up when the op goes to look at it. These sellers know the market is hot. They post these things totally dirty all the time.

ShadyLady (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:11 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 778 Posts

In 2014 I bought my 2004 Vert 6 speed triple back with 32K on the meter for 25K. Paid a bit more at the dealership (they wanted 27.5K) than what the going rate was at that time but never looked back. A great car and have had much fun driving it. Get it inspected. AND, take a friend with you that is a car guy, maybe a mechanic, to give it unbiased look over. I did and it helped in the negotiations.
ShadyLady (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:18 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,024 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

This car has only averaged just less than 2300 miles per year which is pretty average I’d say for most Vettes. That being said, I’m shocked at how dirty it is on the exterior. Yes, I’m very particular, but anyone trying to sell a car should at least detail it before putting it on display and posting photos. The interior, however looks decent as best as I can see.
IMO, they are asking top dollar for the car and it should be accordingly, in top condition in every aspect.
At first glance I’m not overly impressed, but I wouldn’t necessarily walk away either. If it’s just dirty, that’s easily fixed. I just have to wonder when I see a Vette that’s not kept clean, (especially if not a daily driver) if other things are neglected.
As previously mentioned above, be sure to get an PPI and the date codes on the tires. I’d also make sure to check the condition of the convertible top with a fine tooth comb and operation of it.
It says it was serviced there at Ciocca, so if those service records reflect all factory preventative maintenance was performed as specified, that’s a huge plus!

Best wishes with your search. Buying a used car right now is tough with lower selection and high inflation, but I’m often shocked here on the forum regularly with low mileage nice C5’s popping up that have been purchased.
ShadyLady (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 07:59 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

IMHO overpriced. That's C6 territory these days.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:12 PM
Napoleon_Tanerite
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

You might be able to talk them down to $22k or so if you're paying on the spot, but given the current market I doubt they're going to come off it much. Two years ago this was a $15k car tops, but things are silly right now.
knewblewkorvette (04-01-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 09:45 PM
Bruss
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

My .02 . Oil pressure looked good with the engine fairly warm. Make sure there is no harminic balancer wobble. Earlier this year I was looking for my first C5, old tires (7+ y/o) and harmonic balancer wobble were the two most common issues. My car had a slow leak in a tire that the previous owner never addressed. It was a loose valve stem took me two seconds to tighten. Go look at it and be subjective. A little dirt never hurt anybody. When you test drive it, make sure it has all its power. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2022, 11:17 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 202 Likes on 154 Posts

It is a fair asking price. I paid $23K for a 41K mile Z51 6M 01 last June. Use the possible tire age as a bargaining chip.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at this 04 C5 on Sat - price? negotiate?

Old 03-25-2022, 09:12 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,445 Likes on 14,051 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I think the car is priced a bit high, and if you could get it in the $23K or so range, all the better. I would want to see it all cleaned up, take it for a good test drive (obviously checking that everything works), and then have a pre-purchase inspection done on the car. Remember, it is a nearly 19 year old car at this point. The color is very nice and a six speed can be a lot of fun. Best of luck with your decision.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:28 PM
ShadyLady
Advanced

Little update.

1st owner older man.2nd owner, son after his father passed. Son now has kids soooo traded.

Car still dirty.
​​​​​​Had to jump it (they had even moved it to just outside)
low voltage

Also, wheel locked! Service column lock message! Off and on resolved that. But, ahah!

Exterior isnt beat up, just not luvved on. Wax in the cracks. Exhaust not bright and shiny. Like I would treat my daily Honda, not my Vette.

Wheels are good.
Undercarriage all around looks good.

Inspection was fine, gave me the record of issues found and repaired. Nothing other than fluids, rear brakes and wipers.

Tires have 9/32 on all 4. 30psi.
They didn't tell me how old, I forgot to go look.

Dropped price significantly as soon as I asked about "wiggle room" and potentially financing rather than cash.

First one I've driven so far, shifting seems so tight, too tight? Maybe just how they are.
Seemed to me ran great. Nice even purry sound.
Heard a tiny squeak from wayy in the back (left) somewhere. IDK, what could it be back there...🤔

Still not sure about LeMans blue or an Anniv. Red.

45110258 through 45125500.
1G1YY32GX45104939
​​​​​​

​​​​​

Last edited by ShadyLady; 03-26-2022 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:42 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

If the tight shifting is "notchy" its easily fixed w/a simple washer. If its high friction all the time... something else.

I'd get the date codes on the tires and use that to cut price (of older than 5yrs)

Quick Reply: Looking at this 04 C5 on Sat - price? negotiate?