Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there an ideal shock for lowered C5 Corvettes without going coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 12:10 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Received 4,169 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Default Is there an ideal shock for lowered C5 Corvettes without going coilovers?

I've ran my car pretty low before. Aftermarket lowering bolts in the rear and front stock bolts lowered all the way down. Stock 30k mile original C5 shocks still on board.

I ultimately end up raising it back up as the car bottoms out so hard over big bumps at speed. I don't quite care so much about dragging on the ground getting in or out of parking lots or speed bumps but that is not the issue.

When this thing bottoms out going over say a set of railroad tracks at 35mph it is violent.

I'm sure the car would bottom out less with new Z shocks on it but I really don't want a harsher ride in any way.

Is there something out there with a better shock travel length for lowered C5s? Does this create secondary problems like tire rubbing?

I guess I want my cake and eat it too.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:28 PM
scorpiofox69
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 146 Posts

I've not bottomed out on the Z06 shocks except for speed bumps, gas station island inclines, etc. I'm on lowered rears and bottomed out the front spring.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Black (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 07:33 PM
I’m Z one
Melting Slicks

Received 242 Likes on 150 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Adjustable RideTech shocks FTW!
Mr. Black (03-19-2022)
Old 03-19-2022, 09:10 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by I’m Z one
Adjustable RideTech shocks FTW!
I had no idea they made such a thing. Looks like they are Fox shocks?

They definitely carry a corvette tax from what I am seeing.

May have to start saving my pennies.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:43 AM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Received 726 Likes on 513 Posts

Bilstein B8. Or if you can spend a little more, Silver's coilovers will get you as low as you want to go without affecting spring preload and or shock stroke.
Mr. Black (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 11:21 AM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Thank you heggs. I have never really researched the Bilsteins. I didn't know they had a shorter shock. That could be promising as long as they don't ride like a lumber wagon.

I will look up the Silvers too. I am not against coilovers but I don't mind the dead simplicity of the stock leafs.
Old 03-20-2022, 12:47 PM
heggsc5
Melting Slicks

Received 726 Likes on 513 Posts

The Bilsteins definitely don't have a plush ride haha. On my perfectly calibrated shock dyno (aka compressing them with my hands), I determined that their compression was on par with OEM Z51 shocks, but the rebound is where they made a huge difference. But of course a tighter rebound decreases comfort.

If you already have Z51 suspension, the ride won't get noticeably worse. If you're starting with a lower FE setup, maybe not the best choice.

I understand what you mean about the stock setup. I didn't plan on changing until I lowered the car more than the rear leaf liked. I've been happy with the Silver's though. Easy install and easy to adjust (which you don't really need to do after you dial them in unless you want to). The fact that the spring preload and shock stroke doesn't change when adjusting ride is really what sold me on them.
Tusc (04-05-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 10:24 AM
mcbrucey
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

I went with bilsteins sports I believe... and I lowered the car 3/4 an inch. The bilsteins will handle the lowered car and even if I went lower and still rides great.
Mr. Black (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 12:14 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,769 Likes on 946 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Like mentioned, the Bilstein Sports have a shorter length to accommodate lowered cars. The Doug Rippie valved Bilstein shocks are a great value, and a step above the off the shelf sports. I run some JRi non adjustable shocks with leaf springs on my car for competition and like them a lot, but they carry a higher price tag. They also ride more rough, but damp out very quickly. Ride is subjective though.

DRM:
DRM Valved Bilstein Shocks C5 (dougrippie.com)

JRi from Van Steel:
Vansteel
The following 2 users liked this post by Kubs:
Bruss (04-03-2022), Mr. Black (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 12:56 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,112 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

I know you said without coilovers, but I think the Silvers coilovers are going to be your best bet; The other shocks mentioned here will all work with your setup, but I don't think you'll be happy with the ride quality. Coilovers will let you be as low as you want without the ride being really harsh.
Mr. Black (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 03:23 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MWWarlord
I know you said without coilovers, but I think the Silvers coilovers are going to be your best bet; The other shocks mentioned here will all work with your setup, but I don't think you'll be happy with the ride quality. Coilovers will let you be as low as you want without the ride being really harsh.
I generally agree but in my intentional state of non full time employment I just don't have 12 or 1300 dollars for them at this time.

That being said. There are a LOT more adjustable shocks out there than I knew of until doing some searching. Fox/Ridetechs, Konis, QA1s, and a couple others I think I've seen.

Even QA1 now has single and double adjustable shocks for C5 C6 Corvettes at reasonable pricing and they're made in the USA and rebuildable. They may be in the current lead for my general uses. You can get the single adjustables which I'm fine with for around 600 to 650 for all 4.

It looks like the Z shocks have gone up in price to around 425 bucks now.

Looks like the Bilsteins are pushing 500 now.

Thankfully I don't need them right away but it might be something I pursue this summer.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:15 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 219 Posts

Ride is subjective to how you drive and personal tastes.

All I know is I’ve used Bilstein sports and they were better than Z06 but the Z06 I had were 5 yrs old @15k mi. I liked the ride (Bilstein) have and IMHO they are more controlled and the comfort level was better except for a very small bit stiffer over pavement joint at about 30
Mr. Black (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 09:25 AM
EMDExpress
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I lowered on stock bolts with the Bilstein Sport shocks as they are a tad shorter and makes my C5 ride like a caddy. Had this set up since 2003. Not harsh. Now my seats were modded by Carveggios’s of Toronto so the seats are more cushy and extended shoulder support.
Mr. Black (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 01:23 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kubs
Like mentioned, the Bilstein Sports have a shorter length to accommodate lowered cars. They also ride more rough, but damp out very quickly. Ride is subjective though.
Turns out Sports are the same length as HD Bilsteins with an important caveat; Sports are specifically valved for heavier loads which is why people bitch about their poor ride quality.

Biggest issue with C5 being lowered is the neutralizing the buckboard effect of both leaf springs. When the car is lowered the spring starts from a more relaxed pressure point. Then travel is shortened.

The only shocks that can deal with this are the are internally capable of "varying rate" adjustabiity are Koni Reds and GM magnaride

Bilstein sports won't. Neither will all the fancy single and double rate adjustable rate shocks. They only adjust %'s not speed or weight. They are "fixed rate" adjust only. Meaning at small load short travel they're as hard as full length, full travel motions VS an adjustable rate shock is softer/faster at low speed, low force and much stiffer at high speed full travel. Which is why a Bilstein sport is good for track and a Koni Red works better on the street
Old 04-02-2022, 01:50 PM
Mr. Black
Le Mans Master

The problem with Koni Reds is they're worth as much as my whole car.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:43 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Default How'r yah now?

Mr Black; True that.

I can't imagine the poor engineers who were handed the truck style leaf spring some brilliant bean counter figured would cut costs enough to sort of, almost ride OK.
Even the highest rate Z06 springs that came on the car are probably pretty tired, after some 20 yrs now?
If you buy a decent shock and a new transleaf you still wouldn't get the level of control or ride quality a decent double adjustable coilover set gives you now. Times have changed. The car needs to also, especially dealing with suspension and controlling a lowered C5
Tusc (04-05-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 09:42 PM
EMDExpress
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
Turns out Sports are the same length as HD Bilsteins with an important caveat; Sports are specifically valved for heavier loads which is why people bitch about their poor ride quality.

Biggest issue with C5 being lowered is the neutralizing the buckboard effect of both leaf springs. When the car is lowered the spring starts from a more relaxed pressure point. Then travel is shortened.

The only shocks that can deal with this are the are internally capable of "varying rate" adjustabiity are Koni Reds and GM magnaride

Bilstein sports won't. Neither will all the fancy single and double rate adjustable rate shocks. They only adjust %'s not speed or weight. They are "fixed rate" adjust only. Meaning at small load short travel they're as hard as full length, full travel motions VS an adjustable rate shock is softer/faster at low speed, low force and much stiffer at high speed full travel. Which is why a Bilstein sport is good for track and a Koni Red works better on the street
just could not disagree more. I have over two decades with the Bilstein Sports lowered on stock bolts but….I have not used runflats since brand new. Run 265/3518 front and 295/35/18 rear.
Chrisbequick (04-14-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Is there an ideal shock for lowered C5 Corvettes without going coilovers?

Old 04-02-2022, 10:41 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Originally Posted by EMDExpress
just could not disagree more. I have over two decades with the Bilstein Sports lowered on stock bolts but….I have not used runflats since brand new. Run 265/3518 front and 295/35/18 rear.
Everyone has a valid perspective. But everyone also has different types of driving habits and criteria that unfortunately there is no one magic bullet for.

What the OP was asking about was a “best well rounded DD street” responsive shock. Maybe your Bilstein’s were an older generation model that had softer settings.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:15 PM
EMDExpress
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
Everyone has a valid perspective. But everyone also has different types of driving habits and criteria that unfortunately there is no one magic bullet for.

What the OP was asking about was a “best well rounded DD street” responsive shock. Maybe your Bilstein’s were an older generation model that had softer settings.
could well be the case. Bought them many moons ago…Good point
Old 04-03-2022, 12:52 AM
Bruss
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

I have Bilstein B8's and my car drives very well. Im impressed with how smooth it rides.

Quick Reply: Is there an ideal shock for lowered C5 Corvettes without going coilovers?