Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Seat Installation Guide into a C5

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 08:40 AM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,037 Likes on 549 Posts

Just to be fair-- Dan@vetteworks makes some quality products -- but oversells their capabilities. He promised me -- in email and text -- that his c5->c7 adapter would enable telescoping steering. When I called him out on it, explaining to him that it didn't work and suggested a possible fix, he emailed me and said he "didn't have the time" to do it, since his shark bar was taking way too much time. To this day, I don't think his website clarifies that his adapter will not enable telescoping steering. It also took around eight months for me to get a non-working adapter from Dan.

As for that video-- as you pointed out, you can't buy the adapter he references from dan's website -- that should tell you pretty much all you need to know. And allegedly dan has said to the poster that he "could" enable seat memory, but we have yet to see that functionality-- from any vendor.
If you buy anything from vetteworks, ask LOTs of questions, and do it through email so you have everything in writing.

I would suggest just looking at the guides that have been posted here -- it's super easy to wire in an adapter, no need to go through the aggravation and time of going through a vendor. And it's far more satisfying to do it yourself than pay someone to do it for you.

Last edited by JMG2; 02-28-2023 at 09:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JMG2:
snaitaz@aol.com (02-27-2023), Tusc (02-27-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 06:52 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default seat airbag covers

Anyone found a cheap solution for the seat airbag covers, such as 3d print? I can't find any used sets.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:39 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim90NOS
Another closeup:
Thank you for this picture. I have the GT2 seats and this was exactly what I needed. All of the other endless threads were very confusing. So anyone else that is looking for wiring info, disregard everything else and go directly to this picture.

That said, I'm using quick connects to the pins but I get the feeling that it's not a good long term solution as they can pull out fairly easily. I'd recommend splicing into the wiring behind the harness (now that you know what pins to look for) or maybe soldering direct to the pin.
The following 2 users liked this post by vectorz:
Tim90NOS (04-05-2023), Tusc (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 05:47 PM
Tim90NOS
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by vectorz
Thank you for this picture. I have the GT2 seats and this was exactly what I needed. All of the other endless threads were very confusing. So anyone else that is looking for wiring info, disregard everything else and go directly to this picture.

That said, I'm using quick connects to the pins but I get the feeling that it's not a good long term solution as they can pull out fairly easily. I'd recommend splicing into the wiring behind the harness (now that you know what pins to look for) or maybe soldering direct to the pin.
Glad the pic helped. Agree on the connector issues, splicing before the harness may be my best option. It’s tight in there, I’d really rather get the c8 car side connector and come into the seats that way… running out of time!
Old 04-05-2023, 09:48 PM
_Rod_
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Delay on first use?

Hey guys, mine are working well in the c6, with same wiring list above.

Only thing I’ve noticed is that my seat always ‘stalls’ on first use, almost like I have to wake it up. Basically, when I get in the car and move the seat, it moves a tiny bit, then stops. Then I have to lift off what ever direction I was going and then try again, the second time it works fine.

Anyone else have this issue?

Old 04-07-2023, 08:17 PM
Tim90NOS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
yes, cut off what I couldn't unbolt. I may have started with a angle grinder cut off wheel, or I may have gone straight to a dremel type tool with a small cut off wheel on it, can't remember exactly.
I then made a template out of paper to get the outline I needed for the cover plate, then tranfered that to a piece of xPVC. Then while wearing work gloves, used a heat gun to soften up the xPVC and contoured it to the seat. Covered that in black leather, then used upholstery contact adhesive to glue it to the seat back. The side of the seat was up against the door plllar, so hardy visible.

Originally Posted by vectorz
Anyone found a cheap solution for the seat airbag covers, such as 3d print? I can't find any used sets.
@vectorz see Ken's reply above. I bought 1/8" xpvc and it was too thick, may try something thinner, or I may try to repurpose the airbag housing covers.

I wanted to remove the side airbags and brackets. You have to remove the upper seat leather & cushion to get the seat back off to access the bolts on the airbag bracket... I decided to cut off the bracket.

I first tried using a dremel metal cutoff, which doesnt have the radius to get deep enough for the whole bracket. I tried trimming the seat back away some, but had use my 4.5" angle grinder anyway.

If I did this again I would use the 4.5 grinder from the start, make a clean cut along the red line in the pic below and be done with it. The slice into the seatback can be concealed by the covering you create.

Also, I cut away some of the protruding metal bracket for easier maneuverability with the grinder.

Quick vid of the working seat fans for those interested:

Old 04-18-2023, 07:57 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,269 Likes on 1,451 Posts

Originally Posted by _Rod_
Hey guys, mine are working well in the c6, with same wiring list above.

Only thing I’ve noticed is that my seat always ‘stalls’ on first use, almost like I have to wake it up. Basically, when I get in the car and move the seat, it moves a tiny bit, then stops. Then I have to lift off what ever direction I was going and then try again, the second time it works fine.

Anyone else have this issue?
subbed to this thread. ive seen Rods car at our local track and its looks and feels (sat in didn't drive) amazing. love them. I am currently looking for a matching set of either gt2 or comp seats for wifes 99 C5 mn6. Thank You to all who have documented your install details.
The following users liked this post:
Tim90NOS (07-30-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 10:22 PM
_Rod_
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
subbed to this thread. ive seen Rods car at our local track and its looks and feels (sat in didn't drive) amazing. love them. I am currently looking for a matching set of either gt2 or comp seats for wifes 99 C5 mn6. Thank You to all who have documented your install details.
Glad you liked them! Hope we get more vette’s out there, was a blast following your ZR-1 around for a few laps!

On topic: the gt2 seat side bolsters are amazingly solid on track and really let you lean into them. I could feel zero flex in the seats, they are a huge improvement over the c5 (and c6) seats.

I used to track my c5z years ago and I still remember stuffing foam behind the seat back at the track and saying a Hail Mary to hopefully stop the seat back from flipping back in the middle of a lap! Not fun when that happens!
Old 05-02-2023, 03:06 PM
Tim90NOS
Instructor

Glad you liked them! Hope we get more vette’s out there, was a blast following your ZR-1 around for a few laps!

On topic: the gt2 seat side bolsters are amazingly solid on track and really let you lean into them. I could feel zero flex in the seats, they are a huge improvement over the c5 (and c6) seats.

I used to track my c5z years ago and I still remember stuffing foam behind the seat back at the track and saying a Hail Mary to hopefully stop the seat back from flipping back in the middle of a lap! Not fun when that happens!
I second your comments about the seats holding securely during hard cornering and spirited driving! I spent 16 hours in them yesterday over nearly 1100 miles and they were quite comfortable for this 6'1" 200lb guy. Enjoyed them today while driving one of my favorite back roads. Having the cooling function is really nice as these cars seem to get so hot.

I did the same welding and similar sheetmetal bracketry that Rod showed previously (many thanks, this was a HUGE help) Happy to have the airbag functionality using the original C6 parts. I wound up installing an accessory fuse block controlled by a relay to power my passenger seat, and I also used this to bring power to the seat fans separately. For the drivers seat, I got new pins for the original C6 seat connector and brought power to the C8 seat through that. I dont have a great pics of this but can track down the part #s etc if anyone is interested. I used Amphenol connectors everywhere else which keeps things clean and somewhat professional looking... it allows you to disconnect everything easily if necessary.

BTW this project started as an MGW shifter install, and quickly morphed into sound deadening, head unit/amp/speaker upgrade, seat upgrade, and raptor shift light install. If it's all apart, why not??!! Well worth the effort. Really enjoying the car and the convenience and comfort features have made it that much better.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tim90NOS:
Tusc (05-02-2023), VikingTrad3r (05-02-2023), _Rod_ (05-07-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 11:49 PM
_Rod_
Intermediate

Hey @Tim90NOS ,

I dug into the fan install this weekend. One question for you…. Did you get the seat back fans to work as well? I tapped into the red wire as you describe, but only my seat bottom fans come on. Not the back rest. Not sure if I have a problem with my seat or if there is another wire I need to connect as well. Let me know your experience.

Edit: I see now you mentioned there are TWO connections under the seat, one for seat and one for back. I should have read more carefully! Thanks again for the details!

Thanks.

Rod

Originally Posted by Tim90NOS
I was finally able to get the fans working. Pulled the seat covers back to expose the fans and heating element, the fans have Black/Red/Blue wires running to them. I traced the wires back to the brown connector on the seat bottom, applied 12v and nothing happened. Dug around some more and found this relay (?) between the brown connector and the seat bottom. I put 12v to the red wire, negative on the black and woooooooosh the fans turns right on!

FYI I'm not pursuing the heated seat function, but it seems the gray connector next to the brown goes to the heating elements.

Brown connector with yellow, black, and white wires. There are two of these on each seat, one for seat bottom, one for seat back.

Cover pulled back exposing heating elements

fan lives under here, can make out the red/black/blue wires

This is the square relay/control fed by the brown connector.

this is what is under the tape

I exposed the red, black, and blue wires. Put 12v on red, and negative on black and the fans come to life! I believe the blue wire is FG (frequency generator signal) from the fan that communicates whether it's locked or running... leaving this alone for my purposes.

Last edited by _Rod_; 06-04-2023 at 12:12 AM.
Tim90NOS (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 05:47 PM
Tim90NOS
Instructor

Hey @Tim90NOS ,

I dug into the fan install this weekend. One question for you…. Did you get the seat back fans to work as well? I tapped into the red wire as you describe, but only my seat bottom fans come on. Not the back rest. Not sure if I have a problem with my seat or if there is another wire I need to connect as well. Let me know your experience.

Edit: I see now you mentioned there are TWO connections under the seat, one for seat and one for back. I should have read more carefully! Thanks again for the details!

Thanks.

Rod
@_Rod_ Hey Rod, I missed this post, seems like you worked it out. I'm right at 3 months living with the C8 seats and I love them. Took a week long ~3000+ mile road trip with my father in early May and the seats were outstanding. We were really glad the fans worked even thought the ambient was 50-60F most of the time.

Has anyone figured out a good way to cover the side air bag "holes"?

BTW I considered wiring for "low" and "high" seat fan speeds, and I'm glad I didnt go to the extra effort. "High" or 12v direct is the only speed I need.

All of the C6 SRS components I swapped over are functioning (knock on wood). Huge thanks to @_Rod_ for your work on this.

Tusc (07-30-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 10:42 AM
_Rod_
Intermediate

Hi Tim,

Wow, that must have been some trip!

Yes, I am loving the seats. My car is 75% track at the moment and these seats are amazing at holding in the upper body. The lower bolsters are never going to be confused with a race seat, but that is where I wouldn't want to give up the comfort in any case.

Really nice to have the air flow on the seat, I pretty much keep it turned on all the time/now that summer is in full swing.

My airbags are still 100% intact, so I don't have any holes to worry about.

Cheers,
Rod
The following 2 users liked this post by _Rod_:
LE MANSZ (08-10-2023), Tim90NOS (08-08-2023)
Old 03-17-2024, 05:20 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,317 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Has there been any further advancement on function controls, specific relays to use, perhaps aftermarket adapters, etc?

Are the cooling and heating functions a basic on/off in the C8 and in the conversion, or do they have multiple settings like most new cars and have the conversions identified the correct signal to control this if so?
Old 03-25-2024, 01:17 PM
Tim90NOS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tusc
Has there been any further advancement on function controls, specific relays to use, perhaps aftermarket adapters, etc?

Are the cooling and heating functions a basic on/off in the C8 and in the conversion, or do they have multiple settings like most new cars and have the conversions identified the correct signal to control this if so?
I believe the cooling & heating functions in the C8 are controlled by digital relays (CANBUS?).

I saw this posted on FB for C7 heated and cooled in C6, perhaps they can do the C8 seats as well: https://melochedesign.com/collections/all

If you search youtube for bonecrrusherss "C7 Competition Seat Vent Wiring" he shows how to add a resistor for multispeed fan. I considered this, but went with an on/off switch and have no regrets.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
Tusc (03-25-2024)

Quick Reply: C8 Seat Installation Guide into a C5